Stone 6th Anniversary Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 218   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This special 6th Anniversary release is a "cranked up a notch or three" version of our Stone Smoked Porter. Our Stone Anniversary brews are a chance for our brewers to go a little wild (even more than they do on a daily basis). We added more malt (which brings up the viscosity and raises the abv to 8%), a fatter dose of hops and conditioned on both French and American oak (which contributes a softness to the mouthfeel and a far-off-in-the-distance hint of vanilla).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sassy (217) - Mullet Capital of the World, Georgia, USA - FEB 2, 2005
Another nice porter...Black appearance with tan head. Flavors mostly of roasted malts and a hint of smoke, with dark fruits detectable as it warmed. Thanks, Springslicker!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - AUG 4, 2003
This was certainly not a smoked porter I would write home to Mom about. Minimal in its smoked flavor, it ranks a distant fourth behind Alaskan Smoked, Schlenkerla Urbock, and Degroens Rauchbock. For an Anniversary Ale from Stone, quite disappointing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aaronh (201) - McMurray, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 28, 2003
Deep mahagony body pours with a moderate tan head that seems very dense and creamy. The head slowly fades to a more modest layer of foam that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Sweet and fruity aromas are barely perceptible as the beer sits on the desk in front of me. Close up, a strong dark fruit and chocolate aroma similar to raspberry hot chocolate dominates the nose, but some smoky roasted notes and a bit of hops are present as well. The taste is phenomenal, with sweet malt, strong coffee, roasted malt, burnt marshmallows, and smoldering pine all assaulting my taste buds. Ghostlike alcohol esters hover above the action, filling the rest of my mouth with the prescence. But then the sultry body massages the tongue, and I seem to forget about the brash assault it just recieved. The only memory is a lingering smoked pine taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
igel (196) - New Mexico, USA - SEP 3, 2004
Appearance: Deep brown with red highlights a full light brown rocky head and some residual lacing. Aroma: Hops, malt, roasted grains, coffee and some wood (smoked?) background. Taste: Creamy sweetness with an intense hop finish. Coffee and roasted flavors come forth somewhere in the middle and finish. Mouthfeel: Full bodied, smooth, and oily with a biting finish. Lingering hop bitterness prevails. IMHO: A beer with great qualities, but, alas, another over-hopped American take on a great European style

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 16, 2002
My second take On Stone and man are they tasting good. I thank DaSilky1 for bringin some of this back to Buffalo here. Porters are my fav. and let me tell ya this is a great one. Especially if ya also love IPAís which i do. This stuff is definately hopped up and it shows through in the aroma. Nice Dark colors. And at 8.0% the alcohol is a nice warm sensation and not kickin ya in the taste buds. The roasted and smoked flavors are so well balanced with the hop kick its like a party in my mouth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
lemonlovr (190) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Wow. This has got to be the best porter that my tongue has had the privilege of experiencing. The aroma is strong but not overbearing and is definitely smokey with undertones of coffee and chocolate - wonderful. The color is dark dark brown, almost black - beautiful. The flavor is sweet and chocolatey, reminds me of coffee. Very smooth, leaves my tongue nice and tingly. Excellent, I hope to find this again someday.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - APR 29, 2003
wonderful beer, great flavor, very chocolate filled, very thick and rich, very easily drinkable, by no means should be chugged!

SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 12, 2002
Thereís a hint of roasted sweetness with a distinct hoppy aroma. This pours with a beautiful light-beige frothy head, brimming with slightly laced edges. It kind of sticks to the sides like a shake. Mysterious and deep dark brown, you really have to look pretty hard to peer through the edges to see anything through this one. Big taste, but not too overpowering. I keep thinking of bittersweet chocolate with a hint of orange overtones. Quite a good linger. It fades long, but doesnít coat your mouth. This definitely steps up to the plate for the category of hopped-up porters, which I heartily recommend; but be forewarned, if you donít enjoy porters with a lean toward the flowers, you may want to stay away, or maybe let it age a while. I will gladly take it off your hands and dispose of it properly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - NOV 18, 2002
Feel the burn baby! Iím still not sure about this one. First impression was too much alcohol burn, and way too hopped up for a Smoked Porter. Took me along time to even finish it. I love Stoneís brews, High ABV and Loads of Hops/malt so of course this would be a perfect combination I thought. Well - it just didnít do it for me. 2nd and 3rd time trying it I enjoyed it a little more, but just not a well balanced, or very enjoyable brew overall as what I had come to expect from Stone. That being said, it is still a great beer that ranks high on my list however and will enjoy quite a few over the next few months, and years when maybe it will mellow abit

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rodolito (163) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 7, 2003
Poured a semi-opaque ruby tinged black with a thick tan head. Light smoked malt aroma with some hops in the background. Flavor full of smoke, roasted malt, strong hops with some faint oakiness and vanilla. Moderate acidity and carbonation, moderate/full mouthfeel and a light creaminess. In some bottles, I taste a little more and a little less of the smokiness. Temperature plays a big role in this.