Stone 6th Anniversary Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 218   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This special 6th Anniversary release is a "cranked up a notch or three" version of our Stone Smoked Porter. Our Stone Anniversary brews are a chance for our brewers to go a little wild (even more than they do on a daily basis). We added more malt (which brings up the viscosity and raises the abv to 8%), a fatter dose of hops and conditioned on both French and American oak (which contributes a softness to the mouthfeel and a far-off-in-the-distance hint of vanilla).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - SEP 15, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 This beer is excellent. It just tastes good all the way around. Looks beautiful in a big tall pint mug, perfect amount of carbonations, and a taste that combines lots of roasted grains, dark malt, and finishes with a generous amount of hops. If I could make a plea to Stone, it would be to make this Arrogant Porter year round. Then I would ask them to fund a charitable organization to further R&D in the area of training "Monkey Butlers." If we all pitch in, this dream could someday become a reality. Now I'll drink(~9 beers) to that!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerguy101 (5277) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
Dark black color, medium off white head. A BIG full-bodied porter, almost chewy. Roasted malts, chocolaty. Big chewy hoppiness. WOW whatta porter. Stone is usually over the top with their beers (this is NOT a bad thing) and this beer is no exception. Big and bold flavor with a very pronounced hop bite, yet it has a very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. No alcohol bite, despite an 8.1% ABV. Etched beer bottle. Look very classy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
joet (2128) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Yes this is much different... it rolls around in my glass like slate quicksilver. Right off the bat it serves up dark roasty (dare I say <i>smokey</i>?) aromas that also offer the most pleasant and sharp grist and woody aromas Iíve smelled from a beer. This started to really wake up at 53&deg;F and dripped into my tongue like chocolate cake. At 58&deg;F and fully open, there are still no detectable flaws. This is such an easy and remarkably big and robust beer. Remarkable feel -- and this from someone usually without much to say about textures. What a brewing feat! This could be my new favorite Stone beer -- Iím heading to the store as soon as Iím sober to stock up. This is going to be a star of late Fall and Winter.

YogiBeera (2435) - Hamburg, GERMANY - JAN 18, 2003
Love it, love it love, love it. Yummie mocca, caramel and chocolate (like Choco Nibbs from Scharfenberger) nose. Also alcohol. Nice ozzy black color with a big hazelnutbrown frothy long lasting head. After a while nice brussels laces on the glass - here San Marco laces :-) First you get a chocolate mocca mixture taste, that pricks your tongue, rolls back and explodes with a hopp flower right in you whole mouth. Bang! Tanks so much jcalabre for this brew! It was also quite cool to imagine Larry brewing this stuff - thanks Larry - it was like your spirits are with us while we drunk this beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 21, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2003 Smoked, roasted taste with a mild chocolate undertone. I noticed a wiskey-ish sort of underlying taste which I took quite a liking to. I will buy more of this as soon as I can.

PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Brilliant... just brilliant.... I made a mess in my jeans when i smelled it....The color is ebony, the aroma reminds me a smoked porter and an excellent barley wine, very strong. The smoke flavor was less than that of the smoked porter, the smoke was mellowed, a sweet taste with hints of dark chocolate malts, and some hops, smooth smooth smooth, full palate and a pleasantly smoked aftertaste. One of the best.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
lemonlovr (190) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Wow. This has got to be the best porter that my tongue has had the privilege of experiencing. The aroma is strong but not overbearing and is definitely smokey with undertones of coffee and chocolate - wonderful. The color is dark dark brown, almost black - beautiful. The flavor is sweet and chocolatey, reminds me of coffee. Very smooth, leaves my tongue nice and tingly. Excellent, I hope to find this again someday.

davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - JAN 17, 2004
Big, hearty aroma of roasted dark and chocolate malt, alcohol and hops. Color is very very dark, but not quite opaque. Good carbonation with a tight, tight tan head that almost looks as if it was poured from a nitro tap! Flavor profile is big and malty! Lots of roasted malt bitterness up front, followed by a smooth creaminess that balances it out nicely. A little smoke in the middle, but not huge, but that's ok. Big body and mouthfeel. Coats the mouth. Finish is slightly hoppy and a little warming. Some wood notes in the finish as well which are very nice. This is a well made beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - OCT 20, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2005 ....And then Stone made a Porter to rival manís existence!!! The aroma is astoundingly strong, and the taste is brimming with coffee flavors. The aftertaste is one of the best i can think of off the top of my head. The color is very dark brown, blackish colour that almost cries "drink me, drink me". Definitely worth 4$ out of your pocket, a beautiful porter. Re-rate 7/6/05..... Man I am seriously going to miss this beer as this was my last bottle... fairly pitch black, thick, viscous orange/tan head. Aroma is chocolate, bourbon, whiskey, and smoke. Flavors are full bodied, thick, roasty, smokey, alcohol and chocolate. Mild carbonation, heavy hop bitterness distinguishing this from ANY other Porter... this is the best Porter in existence in my opinion...and im sad to see it go!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pivo (2542) - GERMANY - JAN 21, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2003 Great interpretation of a porter! Strong sweet complex nose dominated by roasted malt, with hints of raisins and even coffee. Jet black color and a foamy tan head with lace. Huge chocolately taste with an espresso finish. Hop character is very present and makes for a long finish. Heavy body, though thinner than I expected. There is a little alcohol in the swallow that washes all the wonderful tastes down. This is like a piece of chocolate cake and a espresso rolled into a beer. Great with (or for?) dessert. Thank you SOOooo much, jcalabre!