Stone 6th Anniversary Porter

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 218   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
This special 6th Anniversary release is a "cranked up a notch or three" version of our Stone Smoked Porter. Our Stone Anniversary brews are a chance for our brewers to go a little wild (even more than they do on a daily basis). We added more malt (which brings up the viscosity and raises the abv to 8%), a fatter dose of hops and conditioned on both French and American oak (which contributes a softness to the mouthfeel and a far-off-in-the-distance hint of vanilla).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2008 8/10/02: well, take the regular smoked porter...add gollups of alcohol..throw tons and tons and..tons of hops..and tango with some roastedness and coffee flavors.. wahlah!...
A super hopped to hell...alcohol induced smoked porter which is pretty damn good.
compared to the regular smoked porter..the 6th aniversary porter is a hopped up, alcohol induced porter from hell..I bought a case at the 6th aniversary party..who wants some????
Re-Rate 8/22/02: uppin the points..aroma was like a roasted IPA..I actually discern more smokiness in the flavor than the first time..I’m drinking it at prolly 55º or 60º..More roasts too but still super super hopped out of it’s mind! I love it
Re-Rate 8/23/02: As I drink myself through my case I keep adding points because the more I drink of this the more I realize that this a really special brew!
Plus, I keep tasting peachy notes in there

belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - OCT 16, 2002
Dark, dark, dark. Rostiness and smoke really come through in the aroma. Nice roasted flavor in the body which finishes with a touch of smoke. Finishes dry... As far from a traditional porter as you can get. I LIKE IT!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - NOV 4, 2002
Big brown head and extraordinary lace, the beer is very dark, almost opaque. When I take a whiff of this beer I am met by a huge floral (violets) hop nose that gives way to the classic pine/citrus aromas compliments of the Pacific Northwest. The palate is very full bodied and roasty, it reminds me of burnt toast. As the beer warms, the burnt toast subsides and a rich dark chocolate flavor comes through. The finish is long with flavors of hop, tobacco, and dark berry fruit. This is one complex high gravity porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - NOV 8, 2002
Instantly hoppy aroma, woody notes, slightly roasted, fruity with noticeable alcohol. Palate is smooth and creamy, disturbed only by the hoppy aftertaste. Alcohol warmth come in immediately on the palate, while the hops are strong in the aftertaste when served cold. As it warms complexities of chocolate, fruit and a faint smokiness come through. Pretty strong and hoppy for a porter, but then should I expect it any other way?

JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - NOV 15, 2002
I like this one alot. Dark brown in color, the aroma had both a strong smell of malt and hops. The taste is similiar to the aroma, well balanced between the sweetness of the malt and the bitterness of the hops. It’s an excellent beer folks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JAN 13, 2003
This was my last taste at alcfron’s and I can hardly read my notes. Creamy chocolate feel with hops present right from the first sniff. What a hoppy porter!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - OCT 6, 2003
hoppy alcoholic and choclate aroma, dark with a nice khaki head, strong alcohol sweetness into smoky choclate that finishes with roastiness then berry sweetness and lingering grapefruit hoppiness

jaymobrown (1672) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 10, 2003
Dark, chocolate, smoked nose with a chocolate colored head. Roasted dark malt and chocolate flavors at first and then amazingly turns into a nice smoke flavor. Slight bitterness. Really long finish that sticks to the mouth. Vanilla sweetness in the nose. Excellently crafted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 17, 2004
Bottled August 2002. Small light-brown frothy head. Dark brown body. Pretty complex aroma... sweet whiskey, light smoke at the start, burnt grain, with some sweet fruit (maybe grape0 and brown sugar. Taste has burnt charcoal followed by a fruity (grape) bitterness (grapefruit) and sweet with brown sugar. Some alcohol burn after a while, but it has a nice smooth and almost creamy/sticky feel. Very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - JUL 24, 2004
Special thanks out to Willblake for this absolute gem. Deep brown, tan head. Nice roasty, slight smoke aroma, but you really have to search for the smoke, especially after Fred. Malty smokey smooth carmel flavor with a hop bitterness finish. Really smooth and complex. Nice!