Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 498   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
The Stone 8th Anniversary Ale is, like all previous Stone Anniversary Ales so far, an adaptation of a previous Stone Brewing Co release. This year we set out to make a “Anniversary-ized” version of Lee’s Mild, a 3.8% abv limited release beer from 1999. For this beer we used some of the same malts that we had used in the Lee’s Mild, added more hops, less water (to bring the alcohol content up), and found a tasty balance of toasty/roastyness from the malt and a subtle (by Stone standards!) hop presence. To add further complexity, oak chips were employed to round out the character and give the beer a bit of vanilla/bourbon influence from the wood.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
legion242 (2267) - Richardson, Texas, USA - AUG 19, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 20, 2004 Wow. Very nice. I must say that I was truly impressed. Wonderful brown color and nearly white head. Malty nose. Very full on the tongue- great presence. As the beer warmed, the oakiness really showed itself I thought and added a dimension that was much appreciated. I was very sorry to pour the last few drops. Cheers Stone to a successful 8 years and I am honored to have an association with you.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - AUG 19, 2004
Big biscut white bread and fresh grain nose with a little earthy hoppyness. Garnet body with a lovely creamy tan head leaving fish scale lacing all down the glass. Moderate hoppieness in the mouth with big malty flavors. Biscut, toast, old wood, wort, and milled malt. Finishes malty (yes I said it again) grainy, and a little grassy. Very solid, very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - AUG 19, 2004
Very nice, one of Stone’s best. "Strong Brown Ale" comes to mind. It’s like a dark red though, not brown. More malty and less hoppy than most Stone brews, which is why I like it so much. (I’m NOT a hophead like most Stone devotees.) Great roasted malt flavor with a long lingering hop bitterness but not overpowering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrianO (138) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 18, 2004
Mohagany color with off white head. Aroma issubtle with some toasted malt, alcohol, and caramel. Flavor similar with hints of chocolate, nuts, and vanilla?. A well made beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 17, 2004
a clear mohagany with a quickly thinning head of tan. Aroma was quiet with soft whispers of caramel, ginger, dough, and vanilla. Toasted and roasted malt start off the flavor progression, with dry roasted malt and coffee flavors moving you to hints of chocolate and a background of bitterness. The alcohol is let to run rampant, bouncing off the roastedness and the bitterness like it was on crack cocaine, leaving us all warm..but confused. Growing nutty flavors arise..nearing hazelnut quality, and bordering the line of acidity. I would say it does taste like a mild ale...with a shot of 80 proof alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JCW (1275) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 17, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2004 I may have to go back and re-rate this, but for now, I will say that I am disappointed. Brown in color, almost translucent. Aroma is of vanilla, nuts and hops. A real tartness comes through on the flavor. It is fairly bitter. Thin bodied. Tart finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 17, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2004 These are initial thoughts. I’ll probably rerate a few times as I go through my case. First pour was so fizzy it sounded like I was pouring a soda. Aroma is alcahol, caramel, and slight roastiness. Alcahol is prevelant in the flavor. Alesmith Wee Heavy comes to mind with the initial sips. Flavor has a lot of roasted malt and wood to it. Slightly chalky finish that coats the tongue. Very different from any Stone beer I’ve ever had. Rerate 082204: Overall dissapointing. Definately not Stone style nor is it my style. Very malty with a finsh that is not that pleasant. Kind of a let down. C'mon Stone, you can do way better. Rereate 083004: It's kind of growing on me. I think I have to me in a malt instead of hops mood. I let the bottle warm a little this time and it helped a lot. I tasted more raison and cherry this time. The alcahol wasn't as strong. I think this might be really nice with some age.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (5401) - Spring Mount, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Poured a glowing reddish color with a large off white head and nice lacing. Rather muted aroma of vanilla, caramel, and light roasted chocolate. Taste was bursting with vanilla, chocolate malts, light citric hops, caramel malts, and warming bourbon alcohol feeling on the way down. The roasted qualities really stood out strong here. Very enjoyable. Not like anything else I've had recently.