Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 498   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
The Stone 8th Anniversary Ale is, like all previous Stone Anniversary Ales so far, an adaptation of a previous Stone Brewing Co release. This year we set out to make a “Anniversary-ized” version of Lee’s Mild, a 3.8% abv limited release beer from 1999. For this beer we used some of the same malts that we had used in the Lee’s Mild, added more hops, less water (to bring the alcohol content up), and found a tasty balance of toasty/roastyness from the malt and a subtle (by Stone standards!) hop presence. To add further complexity, oak chips were employed to round out the character and give the beer a bit of vanilla/bourbon influence from the wood.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
drowland (6082) - Valdosta, Georgia, USA - JUL 7, 2012
7/7/12. Shared at my going away tasting by czuber! Definite oxidized aroma with cardboard and mint. Bready aspects follow. Milk chocolate in the flavor with bread toast and mint. Interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Emil (6066) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 20, 2006
Bottle thanx to Jannik. Hazy red colour with a small beige head. Sweet caramel malty, dusty wood, light roasted, nutty, hoppy aroma and taste, light alcoholic. Medium to full body with a sweet dry, light alcoholic finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6022) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 29, 2010
In short: An past-due-date fruity, nutty caramelized beer. Too late.
How: Bottle 22oz. Consumed when around five year of age. Bottle sent to me as a bonus(!) by CaptainCougar, thanks a lot Tom
The look: Cloudy redish-brown body topped by a very small beige head
In long: Rich nose of caramel and dark fruits and a light oxidation. Taste is unfortunately dominated by oxidation. Lots and lots of cardboard. Underneath the oxidation is almonds wrapped in caramel, dark fruits. Also some maderisation with Sherry notes. Adequate medium carbonation. The beer is obviously way past its prime. There might be bottles well cellared that are still good but I fear most bottles are now just like the one I just drank. I don’t remember having it fresh, I don’t know if I ever had it fresh. This was probably once a very good beer because despite its obvious aging problems the beer was still quite drinkable. I did hesitate before entering my rating on a beer that is so obviously past due-date. But given that there is still a market for this 5 year old beer (as well as much older Stone beers) I think it is fair that I voice my opinion and say that this beer is now gone. I probably had it fresh in my early ratebeer time. I don’t remember. Five years ago this was probably a very good beer, but now it is five years old. I’m against aging beer but I’m exactly like everybody else, I don’t care about my opinions and I think I have an attitude problem.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
slowrunner77 (5975) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 16, 2014
"4 years later can’t taste the influence of the oak anymore. it was a pretty drinkable beer, but as the years have mellowed the already lower than normal hop prescence, it was good but nothing really special. maybe a different story when it was fresher.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
AmEricanbrew (5863) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - FEB 6, 2008
Nice ruby red color. Chocolaty malt and pale malt cereal grain smell. Smooth mouthfeel and med. bodied. Great taste of chocolate and blackened malts. Very smooth finish, barely bitter at all. Incredibly easy drinking. Good stuff. 8305

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (5698) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - OCT 28, 2004
Bottle Chocolaty, vanilla and sugary aroma. Hazy red brown, low creamy head. Chocolate, vanilla, vineous, a bit one-dimensional. Solid body, slick mouthfeel. Peters off relatively fast - arrogant bastard stayed longer with me just before.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
riversideAK (5625) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - NOV 26, 2011
Nice nose oxidized port nose aged woody earth caramel brown bread. Brown hazy reddish orange pour. Thin tarnish head. Caramel brown bread toast vanilla light wood and earth. Oxidize d sweetness honey. Held up incredibly well. Well carbonated. Good stuff lingering g light port notes.

PorterPounder (5592) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 22, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2004 Picked this up in Anchorage at Yukon Spirits. Dark copper appearance, light fluffy, mocha colored head. Fruity, doughy aroma with some faint alcohol accents. Flavor has some Christmas spiciness to it in the back end with a plum and date maltiness up front. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy; chewy. Also detect a bit of chocolate. Very good. Alcohol hidden well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
alexsdad06 (5562) - Ohio, USA - APR 28, 2014
22 oz bottle (from notes 2008). Pours a clear deep amber color with a small off white head. The aroma and flavor have dark fruits, caramel, wood, vanilla, a hint of alcohol, honey, just a touch of roasted malt. Good mouthfeel, good flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
badlizard (5538) - Berkeley, California, USA - JAN 27, 2008
On tap at Stone Winter Storm. Cloudy brown with no head. Aroma roasty, chocolate, and citrus. Taste of choclate and orange, brown sugar, mild banana, roasty taste, and a crisp finish.