Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 498   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
The Stone 8th Anniversary Ale is, like all previous Stone Anniversary Ales so far, an adaptation of a previous Stone Brewing Co release. This year we set out to make a “Anniversary-ized” version of Lee’s Mild, a 3.8% abv limited release beer from 1999. For this beer we used some of the same malts that we had used in the Lee’s Mild, added more hops, less water (to bring the alcohol content up), and found a tasty balance of toasty/roastyness from the malt and a subtle (by Stone standards!) hop presence. To add further complexity, oak chips were employed to round out the character and give the beer a bit of vanilla/bourbon influence from the wood.

PorterPounder (6535) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 22, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 23, 2004 Picked this up in Anchorage at Yukon Spirits. Dark copper appearance, light fluffy, mocha colored head. Fruity, doughy aroma with some faint alcohol accents. Flavor has some Christmas spiciness to it in the back end with a plum and date maltiness up front. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy; chewy. Also detect a bit of chocolate. Very good. Alcohol hidden well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - SEP 8, 2004
Bottled: Deep ruby brown hue with small but lasting frothy head and good lace. The aroma has notes of piney and fruity hops, caramlized malts, smoke, wood, light mocha and vanilla, and a pronouned spice on the end. The taste starts bitter and spicy with a dose of bourbon barrel. The midsection is mostly malty and has chocolate/vanilla tones. The finish displays more wood and spices as well as a nutty dryness. The feel is like that of a watered down barleywine, teases you for a moment but never really bites the palate. Lightly sticky and traces of alcohol warming. Missing that something on the tongue. A good beer which does show room for improvement with a moderate aging. I look forward still to trying this in a few months.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
AmEricanbrew (6463) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - FEB 6, 2008
Nice ruby red color. Chocolaty malt and pale malt cereal grain smell. Smooth mouthfeel and med. bodied. Great taste of chocolate and blackened malts. Very smooth finish, barely bitter at all. Incredibly easy drinking. Good stuff. 8305

HogTownHarry (6371) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - NOV 19, 2005
Bottle (650ml). Shared with tupalev and blankboy, provided by tupalev. Poured a deep hazy tawny red with a smallish diminishing head. Aroma was rich with hop medley, yeasty caramel roast malt, alcohol, a touch of pine resin - simple, well-blended, almost like a hoppier, thinner harvest ale. Taste of sweet citrusy slightly resiny hops, somewhat bitter burnt candy roast malt, alcohol, also somewhat mossy and lactic. Mouthfeel is creamy, alcoholic, not terribly lively but not flat either - overall this struck me more like a barley wine, terrific balance of hops and malt for such a big beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - APR 6, 2005
Not at all what I was expecting. Bottled 22 oz. pours a dark amber in color with strong floral hints on the nose. Taste is a bit on the caramelly side with a nice bitter hoppy finish. I was very impressed with this offering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (6301) - Garching b. München, GERMANY - OCT 28, 2004
Bottle Chocolaty, vanilla and sugary aroma. Hazy red brown, low creamy head. Chocolate, vanilla, vineous, a bit one-dimensional. Solid body, slick mouthfeel. Peters off relatively fast - arrogant bastard stayed longer with me just before.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sledutah (6252) - Utah, USA - MAY 1, 2011
Bottle shared by footbalm, thanks
Appearance: Hazy brown with a small tan head and light lacing
Aroma: Sweet chocolate, dark fruits and malts
Taste: Toasted malts, toffee and dark fruit

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rastacouere (6162) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2005 Dark brown body with a fading head. Nose is that of a bakery harvest deploying abundant rasin bread, almonds and roasted malt aromas. Rich maltiness provides caramel, coffee and pumpernickel bread on a roasty background. Big bitterness in the finish. Slightly powdery texture, lightly astringent though never disturbing. Interesting to say the least.
Doesn’t seem to take the age too well. Dropping this from 3.5 to 3.2

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
radagast83 (6106) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - NOV 15, 2009
22 oz bottle. Consumed 11/14/09. Aroma is still pretty malty, hop aroma is almost non-existent. Pours a slightly cloudy dark brown color with a small tan head. Tinge of sweet herb, touch of nuts. Still has a pretty decent amount of carbonation. Note: I will rate it a *notch* higher than I probably would have - mostly due to any inconsistencies existing due in part to the age of the beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 29, 2010
In short: An past-due-date fruity, nutty caramelized beer. Too late.
How: Bottle 22oz. Consumed when around five year of age. Bottle sent to me as a bonus(!) by CaptainCougar, thanks a lot Tom
The look: Cloudy redish-brown body topped by a very small beige head
In long: Rich nose of caramel and dark fruits and a light oxidation. Taste is unfortunately dominated by oxidation. Lots and lots of cardboard. Underneath the oxidation is almonds wrapped in caramel, dark fruits. Also some maderisation with Sherry notes. Adequate medium carbonation. The beer is obviously way past its prime. There might be bottles well cellared that are still good but I fear most bottles are now just like the one I just drank. I don’t remember having it fresh, I don’t know if I ever had it fresh. This was probably once a very good beer because despite its obvious aging problems the beer was still quite drinkable. I did hesitate before entering my rating on a beer that is so obviously past due-date. But given that there is still a market for this 5 year old beer (as well as much older Stone beers) I think it is fair that I voice my opinion and say that this beer is now gone. I probably had it fresh in my early ratebeer time. I don’t remember. Five years ago this was probably a very good beer, but now it is five years old. I’m against aging beer but I’m exactly like everybody else, I don’t care about my opinions and I think I have an attitude problem.