Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 499   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
The Stone 8th Anniversary Ale is, like all previous Stone Anniversary Ales so far, an adaptation of a previous Stone Brewing Co release. This year we set out to make a ďAnniversary-izedĒ version of Leeís Mild, a 3.8% abv limited release beer from 1999. For this beer we used some of the same malts that we had used in the Leeís Mild, added more hops, less water (to bring the alcohol content up), and found a tasty balance of toasty/roastyness from the malt and a subtle (by Stone standards!) hop presence. To add further complexity, oak chips were employed to round out the character and give the beer a bit of vanilla/bourbon influence from the wood.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 29, 2010
In short: An past-due-date fruity, nutty caramelized beer. Too late.
How: Bottle 22oz. Consumed when around five year of age. Bottle sent to me as a bonus(!) by CaptainCougar, thanks a lot Tom
The look: Cloudy redish-brown body topped by a very small beige head
In long: Rich nose of caramel and dark fruits and a light oxidation. Taste is unfortunately dominated by oxidation. Lots and lots of cardboard. Underneath the oxidation is almonds wrapped in caramel, dark fruits. Also some maderisation with Sherry notes. Adequate medium carbonation. The beer is obviously way past its prime. There might be bottles well cellared that are still good but I fear most bottles are now just like the one I just drank. I donít remember having it fresh, I donít know if I ever had it fresh. This was probably once a very good beer because despite its obvious aging problems the beer was still quite drinkable. I did hesitate before entering my rating on a beer that is so obviously past due-date. But given that there is still a market for this 5 year old beer (as well as much older Stone beers) I think it is fair that I voice my opinion and say that this beer is now gone. I probably had it fresh in my early ratebeer time. I donít remember. Five years ago this was probably a very good beer, but now it is five years old. Iím against aging beer but Iím exactly like everybody else, I donít care about my opinions and I think I have an attitude problem.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
riversideAK (6078) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - NOV 26, 2011
Nice nose oxidized port nose aged woody earth caramel brown bread. Brown hazy reddish orange pour. Thin tarnish head. Caramel brown bread toast vanilla light wood and earth. Oxidize d sweetness honey. Held up incredibly well. Well carbonated. Good stuff lingering g light port notes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 20, 2006
Bottle thanx to Jannik. Hazy red colour with a small beige head. Sweet caramel malty, dusty wood, light roasted, nutty, hoppy aroma and taste, light alcoholic. Medium to full body with a sweet dry, light alcoholic finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Suttree (6007) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 10, 2004
I was a bit leery of this one after reading the reviews and descriptions - it really didnít sound like a style that Iíd like. But whadduya know, it was really impressive. Really nice reddish brown with a sturdy tan head. Nice chestnut aroma, with hints of cinnamon and allspice. Really smooth palate, Nicely nutty, malty spicy flavor, with just enough hops to mitigate the sweetness and balance it out somewhat, and just a slight and unobtrusive alcohol burn. Very full bodied and satisfying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
egajdzis (6004) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Poured a glowing reddish color with a large off white head and nice lacing. Rather muted aroma of vanilla, caramel, and light roasted chocolate. Taste was bursting with vanilla, chocolate malts, light citric hops, caramel malts, and warming bourbon alcohol feeling on the way down. The roasted qualities really stood out strong here. Very enjoyable. Not like anything else I've had recently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (5946) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - OCT 8, 2004
Pours a gorgeous garnet with nearly no head, save the whitish ring around the circumference of the glass. Nose is a rich roasted malt, light cocoa, wood, faint alcohol, and light vanilla. Taste is big malts with a definite woody presence. The alcohol comes out more here too. Light cocoa, light spice, faint caramel, and a timid hop profile. Body is medium full and a bit chewier than expected. The finish is more roasted malts with a tad more bitterness and a slight notion of alcohol with faint wood notes. GOOD beer! Got to get more of this!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (5795) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 14, 2005
Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a medium head with standard retention. Aroma consists of strong malt and lots of hops. Taste is quite bitter but well supported by the malt. I very much enjoyed this typical west coast beer. Now, Iím curious to try some other Stone Anniversary beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
decaturstevo (5741) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - OCT 22, 2006
A brownish/amber pour with almost no head. An aroma of roasted malt is dominate. A flavor of sweet maltiness and a warmth that surprises me from the 7.8%. A pleasant bitter finish. When I opened it and poured it the aroma reminded me of a Barley wine but the look didnít. Iíve had this beer before and had this one in the frige for a while. I donít remember liking it this well. I wish I had another. I enjoyed it very much.

notalush (5706) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2004
An interesting concoction indeed - the closest style I could compare it to would be an English Strong Ale, in color, aroma and flavor - dark red/brown with a slight tan head, aroma and flavor dominated by roastiness, some chocolate, nut and caramel - all the ESA elements are there - but other characteristics defy that classification - the aroma has subtle notes of vanilla and bourbon, and the flavor contains some of those vanilla hints, with touches of spiced rum (perhaps the "spiced" aspect comes from the hops) - top that off with a smokiness much like a scottish ale, and you have one unique and tasty brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JK (5631) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 11, 2005
This beer is best at room temperature. There is a very nice port aroma. Several flavors including oatmeal, coffee, and rice with soy sauce, with some alcohol taste.