Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 499   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
The Stone 8th Anniversary Ale is, like all previous Stone Anniversary Ales so far, an adaptation of a previous Stone Brewing Co release. This year we set out to make a “Anniversary-ized” version of Lee’s Mild, a 3.8% abv limited release beer from 1999. For this beer we used some of the same malts that we had used in the Lee’s Mild, added more hops, less water (to bring the alcohol content up), and found a tasty balance of toasty/roastyness from the malt and a subtle (by Stone standards!) hop presence. To add further complexity, oak chips were employed to round out the character and give the beer a bit of vanilla/bourbon influence from the wood.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Tom Servo (424) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 8, 2005
Nice nosy aroma, with the alcohol readily apparent. Coloring is a nice dark amber, appearing almost purple in the right light. Alcohol is nicely masked in the flavor, and the burnt/bitter feel gives it a nice sour mash feel. I don’t think Stone has disappointed me yet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - JAN 24, 2006
From a bomber dated August 2004. Man, the past few days have been crappy, so I popped the cap on this to give me a lift. Stone, as usual, does not dissappoint. Pours a deep, dark, hazy amber with a light tan head. Complex nose - cetainly malt, plus chocolate and a nice roastiness, all on top of a light hop. Overall, there is an earthiness to this aroma, almost wood or bark. I have seen other raters use peat in their reviews, maybe this is what they meant. Flavor is also complex, malty, earthy. The borbon influence is apparent, and so is the alcohol to some extent, but it all just goes together; it works. Finish is a roasty, bitter chocolate, hangs a bit in the mouth, leaving a bitterness that reminds you of the experience you just had. I opened this to lift me, and lift me it has, into a calm, warm familiar place. Simply lovely.

nolankowal (938) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 29, 2006
Bomber. Pours a carmel-red color with a very light tan head. Sour aroma gives way to a smokey, roasty, malty flavor, with carmel and sugared fruit notes. Mild hoppiness on the finish makes this one damn warm and smooth offering. If I were running stone, I’d unretire this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
decaturstevo (5850) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - OCT 22, 2006
A brownish/amber pour with almost no head. An aroma of roasted malt is dominate. A flavor of sweet maltiness and a warmth that surprises me from the 7.8%. A pleasant bitter finish. When I opened it and poured it the aroma reminded me of a Barley wine but the look didn’t. I’ve had this beer before and had this one in the frige for a while. I don’t remember liking it this well. I wish I had another. I enjoyed it very much.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
Trooper11 (468) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - JUN 14, 2007
Had this for awhile, finally decided on opening it. Nice brown color. Foamy head tight bubbles no lacing. Strong nutty malt aroma with some sweet corn syrup or brown sugar notes. Dry bitter nutty flavordefinitely some bittersweet chocolate in there and the oak chips added to give that vanilla bourbon flavor are very apparent, solid brew here. Love it. Finsihes a dry bitter nutty flavor solid warmth from the alcohol engulfs your torso. Umm good.

RblWthACoz (964) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 15, 2007
Pours a very dark ruby brown with almost no head to see. Nose is caramel, pine tar, and nutty. Flavor is still there, though the alcohol seems to be peeking out quite a bit. Nuts at the start and as an aftertaste as well. It really hits stronger after a few seconds longer. Most lasting palate experience that I can remember off of just one sip. Feel is thick, almost syrupy. Drinkable for sure. Masterfully crafted and seems to still have life left. Never had it fresh, but this seems pretty good without knowing the difference.

badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - JAN 27, 2008
On tap at Stone Winter Storm. Cloudy brown with no head. Aroma roasty, chocolate, and citrus. Taste of choclate and orange, brown sugar, mild banana, roasty taste, and a crisp finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
garrison (812) - Cin. city, Ohio, USA - DEC 1, 2004
From a "1 Pt. 6 FL Oz" bottle - Pours a dark, caramel-colored liquid with a beige head and mild, sweet aroma. There is some wateriness about the foretaste, but the hops and roasted malts really kick in as the brew travels over one’s tongue.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DocLock (9999) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 18, 2004
I read the label of this one, and came in not knowing what style it was. I had pegged it as either an Imperial Scottish ale or a dubbel. It pours deep ruby with a huge off-white head. Aroma of malt, toffee, fruit, slight peat, and scotch. Tastes malty, with hops, more fruit, some nuts, and heavy spirits at the finish, such as cognac and scotch. Marvelous complexity and balance, as with all Stone beers. Lightweights need not apply. This beer gets less respect here than Tina Turner did from from Ike. I suppose there are people that might accuse me of rating water from Stone as a 4.2, but those types of detractors and doubting Thomases can just kiss my hairy ass. Bravo Stone. Many are indeed not worthy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
jbak (111) - Torrington, Connecticut, USA - FEB 24, 2005
Wow, far from the norm for Stone, other than the fact that it is over-the-top. This beer is quite malty, creamy and toasty. The Oak chips slap you in the face. Aftertaste is next to nothing. Doesn’t taste 7.8% ABV.