Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
OldGrowth (2478) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 2, 2005
Bottle, from Bauer. Good nose, sweet. Orange, peach, apricot, pine, caramel. Clean orange/ copper color. Good head that faded. Bittersweet flavors, Like aroma, wheat really shows. Medium body, creamy slippery mouthfeel, bitter finish, little burn to it. Damn that went down fast. The tasting at Bauer was fun. Thanks Nick.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - SEP 2, 2005
Big fruity, piney hop aroma, lots of ester, and some sharp, burning alcohol. Looks great, clear orange-amber, dense white head. Flavor is dominated by fruity hops, there is a little malt sweetness to balance the strong hop bitterness, and there are some sharp higher alcohols. Medium body, some alcohol burn. Not a big fan - the wheat malt base doesn’t provide enough support for the high hop levels and it shows a lot of alcohol for 7.8%.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 2, 2005
Pours a clear copper color and makes a dense offwhite head. Aroma is loaded up with pine, backed up with some sweetness. Flavor opens with some bitterness, but is full of apricots, bubble gum and pear, with a spicy alcoholic bite in the end. Medium body, sticky sweetness coating on the palate with a sticky finish. Carbonation is peppery, yet smooth. I smell this and think west coast IPA, but the flavor takes me into a completely different direction. Don’t get me wrong, it is hoppy, but the other flavors are welcome and new. I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 2, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 3, 2005 I went in with a completely open mind, really. It poured a slight hazy deep bronze color with thin sheets of whispy froth..the aroma had a ton of fresh hoppy notes intertwined with yeast, fruit, and more specifically dried orange. The mouthfeel was thick...starting yeasty, turning hoppy, then ending grainy. Well, guess what, the yeast..it sucks..as it always sucks..the strain they use here is complete garbage, in every freakin’ way imaginable. You know what though, I don’t really give a damn anymore, its a loss cause. BLAS! Basically, it tastes like a hoppy belgian wheat ale, but fermented with tijuana river yeast. Its to the point of syrupy...the hops they use are mangled with the autistic qualities of the yeast... BLAS!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5267) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 1, 2005
This wheat beer/American Strong Ale pours a orange gold color from a 22 oz etched bottle. Large white foamy head, with good long lasting lacing. Aroma is floral and earthy hops, citrus fruit and sweet. A medium to full bodied American Strong Ale. Malts are initially bready and there is a hint of banana and clove going on, but it seems to evolve into more of a coriander and tangerine and mint(?) taste as you progress through the taste. Lots of hops, citrus, pine and grapefruit. Crisp and clean and there is some wheat beer character in all those hops. Lively carbonated. I always wondered what a wheat beer from Stone would taste like, (yes I am a total beer geek, thank you!). This is exactly what I was expecting. I like it. Nice beer. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp and dry. Aftertaste is bitter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
papajohn (1248) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - SEP 1, 2005
Clear golden color with a huge fine white head. Aroma is light evergreen and a little citrus. Flavor is fruity with a light lemon start fading to tangerine, some wheat, light citrus tartness, a hint of mint leaf and a dry orange rind finish. Light on the palate, but with a velvet touch.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
legion242 (2099) - Richardson, Texas, USA - AUG 31, 2005
I have to admit that I am really honored to be the third to rate this. How come no one on the west coast has yet? A really pretty urine color. Fat, foamy head. There used to be a time when I was privy to these releases without even having to try, but these days, I have to look long and hard for them. I miss you Greg;) Definitely an "organic" nose, by which I mean all the good things- earth, citrus,, etc. First sip is very full on the mouth with some definite wheaty elements. If I had my eyes closed, I may say that it was unfiltered. I must say that I am also waxing nostalgic while drinking this listening to Shake the Disease and some classic Afghan Whigs. Those things always make beer taste better; or at least make you appreciate them more. I also gave up a long time ago reading the labels on these things- too much beer has made my head hard to get around them. Some classic Wit characteristics- corriander, or some facismile. Mouthfeel can’t be expressed more. This one is going high for me. Ah, the dangers of rating live! I have an extra bottle, any of you TX f’s want some? HA, it is also my 1234th rating!! Take that Greg!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kinz (3188) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 28, 2005
Medium orange, nice head. Bracing hop aroma, pine, earth, a hint of grapefruit. Flavor at first had the same gummy fruitiness as a Hoegaarden Grand Cru. Wheat definitely there, bitter hop finish. The fruitiness died off as it warmed, replaced by a hint of caramel, pine accented, and very bitter on the end. The flavors on this one haven’t quite come together yet, I think it will improve significantly with a bit more time in the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerGod (5045) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - AUG 28, 2005
Bottle. Pours a gorgeous amber with a fluffy manilla colored head. Nose is big hops - piney and laden with citrus. Light wheat notes to this and mild sweetness as well. Taste is big hops as well, lots of lemon, lighter pine, wheat, light yeast, chewy malts and a bit of fruit notes - orange, grapefruit and perhaps a bit of sweet, ripe tangerine. Body is medium-full with moderate carbonation and lingering hop bitterness. Finishes with a big hop splash and more citrus notes. Lighter pine, more wheat, some lemony tartness, faint yeast notes, and lighter fruitiness. Pretty good!