Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - JUL 13, 2009
Tap. This keg made it to City Beer last week. I was surprised at how well this held up even though I never had it fresh. Still great aromas and flavors of hops. Flavor prfile has some wheat and graininess mixed it and some bread and dough. Then the hops take over again with a nice bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 9, 2009
Copper in color and a dense ivory head. The beer has undeniably oxidized over the years; but still picking up the intended pine resin notes from the hops and caramel malt back bone. A lot of orange zest bitterness and a big ABV. burn. Good beer no doubt, but I should have consumed this a few years back for optimal sensory satisfaction... –may bad!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SDquaffer (18) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 29, 2009
Cracked in 6/09 from my cellar which, because of gypsylike behavior, has not been consistently stored. I take some of the blame for the low rate. Aroma was diminished from what I fondly remember from the fresh version. Caramel notes unmistakeable but a bit of burnt corn too. Wheaty substantial head, not diminishing as the beer warms. leggy. A bit of a coppery finish too. again, probably due to bad cellaring. Hopefully some good samaratin will provide me a better kept bottle for a revised tasting (after I sufficiently self-flaggelate myself of course.)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
j12601 (6584) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - MAY 12, 2009
Bottle at the “Drink for Charity” event at Rattle & Hum thanks to Mike who brought a vertical from 2nd to 12th. Pours a hazy apricot color with a thin white head. Lots of plums, prunes, and a bit of caramel. Nice soft carbonation on here, but it doesn’t mask the oxidization. Finishes with a light bitterness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Adam77 (457) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - APR 7, 2009
Poured orange with a white head. Aroma of alcohol and lemons. Some hop flavor left but mostly oxidized. Some caramel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerbill (3405) - Laurel, New York, USA - MAR 24, 2009
22 oz. bottle courtesy of a trade with jgd0608. Pours a cloudy peach gold with a moderate-large linen white head that lasted to the end and left substantial lace on the glass. Very pleasant aroma of grapefruit, oranges and apples. I was pleasantly surprised at how fruity and plentiful the hops presence was given the age of the bottle. The flavor is similar to the aroma with lots of grapefruit, orange and apples, however, this is eventually overtaken by the flavor of isopropyl alcohol, which carries to the end. Bitter at the finish. This would have been a 4.0 beer had it not been for the isopropyl alcohol flavor. Even with that, this is a very good brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nbutler11 (1267) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - FEB 6, 2009
On tap at Winter Storm ’09. Pours a light copper color with a trim white head. Smells of bitter hops and pine. Tastes of both with an unsettling amount of spice that I had a problem placing. Decent, but not my bag.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rciesla (5499) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - FEB 2, 2009
Bottle shared by BrianK in 2009. Pours a golden orange body with a white lacing. Very hop assertive with pine, resins, and hints of grapefruit. Wheaty with note of coriander and lightly earthy. Thin alcohol. Odd beer not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
topherh (1911) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - DEC 10, 2008
forgotten read lost bottle from my cellar. poured a light orange with a decent white head. Not to bad for a beer of its age much better when fresh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BelgianBeerGal (3190) - Panama City, Florida, USA - NOV 28, 2008
Bottle. Pours a clear golden, yellow with a small white head. The aroma was a little hop but definitely a strong malt backbone. In the flavour the hops really take over. This beer straddles the line between Belgian and American fairly well. The blunt alcohol flavour did kill it a little for me.