Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 481   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
topherh (1912) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - DEC 10, 2008
forgotten read lost bottle from my cellar. poured a light orange with a decent white head. Not to bad for a beer of its age much better when fresh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
BelgianBeerGal (3247) - Panama City, Florida, USA - NOV 28, 2008
Bottle. Pours a clear golden, yellow with a small white head. The aroma was a little hop but definitely a strong malt backbone. In the flavour the hops really take over. This beer straddles the line between Belgian and American fairly well. The blunt alcohol flavour did kill it a little for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fiver29 (1036) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - NOV 21, 2008
Bottle courtesy of Miketd. Thanks Mike! Pours a cloudy amber color with cream colored head. The head is pretty thick on this and coats the glass as I drink it. I didn’t know what the style of this was. This was a bit of a surprise. When I smelled it I got pine, citrus, and grassy notes. Flavor was sharp orange, pepper, pine resins, and a slight sweetness. I asked Mike if this was a double IPA and he told me it was a strong ale. Could have fooled me. And I was! It was that hoppy. Overall a very pleasant experience. I’d like to know how they brewed a beer that stayed hoppy for so long. Good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - NOV 18, 2008
2005 bomber, aged over 3 years. Pours a hazy, deep, orange-amber color with a massive, spongy, cream colored head. The incredibly well retained foam leaves sticky swaths of honeycomb lacing all the way down the glass. This is simply a beautiful looking beer. The aroma is quite hoppy, even at this advanced aged, with sharp grass, pine resin, and citrus notes still showing. A toffee malt base is sweetened a bit by orange marmalade, while lemon pepper lends a hint of bright, peppery spice. Flavors show more of the same, orange citrus hops, pine resin, semi-sweet toffee, and cracked pepper all showing well. This must have been a serious hop bomb when fresh, as it’s still mighty tasty years after the fact. Medium-full on the palate and well carbonated, the mouthfeel evokes thoughts of a lightly creamy, hoppy barleywine. Damn nice brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - NOV 17, 2008
Bottle thanks to jjpm74. Bright orange pour. Definitely showing its age. Earthy, some malt, must, and oxidation/menthol notes showing. Still some hop presence.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TURDFERGUSON (3969) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - NOV 2, 2008
Bottle shared by durhambeer. Thanks Bob! Had this fresh on tap and in the bottle back in Amherst and it has changed a bit since then. Thought is tasted okay back then was never too impressed. It tastes pretty much the same but a little watered down and old tasting. Not a very good beer right now.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
emacgee (4148) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - OCT 31, 2008
Thanks durhambeer for sharing. Pours a hazy gold orange with a 1 1/2 finger light yellow head. The nose is mildly sweet, malty, earthy, definitely aged, light oxidation, basementy. The flavor has a mild citrus peel bitterness to it, malty, earthy, has maintained more of its hop feel than expected. Mild bitterness in the mouthfeel.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
GodOfThunder (1248) - Orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2008
Thanks for whomever brought this to the BBBash! I didn’t think this would hold up, but it was still in great condition. Overall, I liked the 8th Anniversary better, but this was good, hoppy and a little yeasty. This was an original brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
daknole (9486) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - OCT 20, 2008
Tasting at mcbackus 10/19. Very glad to have tried this. Amber pour, medium mosty white head. I smell some yeast, fruit, and some juicy hops. Flavor is very smooth with a good balance of malts and hops. Wheat makes this creamy and nice. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sparky (2243) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - SEP 29, 2008
Bomber courtesy of StFun. Pours a very carbonated medium amber with a 2 finger off-white head and very spotty lacing. Nose is wheat and sweet fruits like apricot and peach. Taste is sweet malt and more sweet fruits upfront with some citrus in the middle. It almost tastes like a DIPA that’s lost its hop profile. Some hoppy alcohol burn in the finish. Smooth creamy mouth feel. Wish I had tried this fresh – I bet it was nice and hoppy. Still very good as is. Thanks Josh!