Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
legion242 (2099) - Richardson, Texas, USA - AUG 31, 2005
I have to admit that I am really honored to be the third to rate this. How come no one on the west coast has yet? A really pretty urine color. Fat, foamy head. There used to be a time when I was privy to these releases without even having to try, but these days, I have to look long and hard for them. I miss you Greg;) Definitely an "organic" nose, by which I mean all the good things- earth, citrus,, etc. First sip is very full on the mouth with some definite wheaty elements. If I had my eyes closed, I may say that it was unfiltered. I must say that I am also waxing nostalgic while drinking this listening to Shake the Disease and some classic Afghan Whigs. Those things always make beer taste better; or at least make you appreciate them more. I also gave up a long time ago reading the labels on these things- too much beer has made my head hard to get around them. Some classic Wit characteristics- corriander, or some facismile. Mouthfeel can’t be expressed more. This one is going high for me. Ah, the dangers of rating live! I have an extra bottle, any of you TX f’s want some? HA, it is also my 1234th rating!! Take that Greg!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
noelcb (271) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - OCT 2, 2005
Orange amber color, nice fluffy 2-finger head, long-lasting, with nice sticky lace. Aromas of grapefruit, geraniums and marigolds, pepper, alcohol, grass, earth, and bready yeast. Flavors start with an explosion of heavy, grapefruity bitter hops, but then a wonderful semi-sweet smoky malt breaks through. Following that, more bitterness on the evolving malt, eventually evoking, some molasses, peat, dark fruit, citrus, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, licorice and burnt toast. Mouthfeel is right, not viscuous but not watery either. Coats the tongue and palate for long lasting flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
Maddog (377) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - OCT 3, 2005
My favorite of Stone’s Anniversary brews. This one tastes like a double IPA, my favorite style. A true hop lover’s dream with a very floral nose and a strong presence of citrusy flavored hops. An explosion of hops, beautiful light amber color and certainly not one-dimensional. There is certainly a body there as well. Very interesting that it is a wheat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
alcoholica (128) - Dublin, Ohio, USA - NOV 6, 2005
I’m going to have to pick up the 8th and 7th, because this stuff is damn good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
chargerfanjess (124) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 10, 2006
Call this an American wheat with IPA tendancies along with a Belgian Strong twist. Clearly out side the box, which is what Stone is all about and what I enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Braudog (5489) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - JUL 22, 2006
Poured an enticing yellow-gold with a firm pillow top. It gives a nice round bready sweet aroma. The flavor is wonderful ... also bready, but candied and citrusy, doughy but in a good way. I really like this more than the string of 3.X ratings behind me. Quite excellent.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ElGaucho (2156) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - OCT 2, 2005
Big, fruity aroma. Hazy dark gold in color with a huge head! I used a tulip glass which really seemed to blow up the head, but I give credit mostly to the beer itself. Clumps of carbonation rise from the bottom like Alka Seltzer. Whispy lace. Large Belgian-like bubble with beautiful lace. Initial mouthfeel is highly alcoholic. This brew does not hide the 7.8% at all. Pepper, saffron. Very nice flavor. Seems a little bit like the alcohol was thrown at the beer to make it more impressive, but I couldn’t detect any flaws that were trying to be hidden. Could have been smoother but as it warms this really becomes delicious. Really excellent. Thanks, tennisjoel, for bringing this back with you from San Fran.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bcasper (4) - bakersfield, California, USA - JAN 12, 2006 does not count
this is an awesome beer at first it seems alittle off but three drinks into it you will become quite impressed i would have to say as a newbie into the real beer wolrd this is a great beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2006
This beer introduces itself with an aroma consisting of hops, pine, and apple. It is an apricot colored solution with a thick cream colored head. This moderately heavy beer fills the mouth with a robust flavor of hops that turns mildly sweet before transforming into the apple taste that lingers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hiphops (286) - caldwell, New Jersey, USA - MAR 23, 2006
had this on tap and it was amazing. cognac colored. brigth and hoppy a little tartness with a peach finish. very delicious