Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
buckybeer (666) - Eau Claire, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 14, 2006
Thanks to Irishboy for this one. pours a very hazy orange with a nice frothy head and thick sticky lacing. I got a big pineapple aroma and flavor along with some grapefruit and pine. A wonderful IPA. Thanks again Irishboy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2007
I received this bottle from my roommate over 1 year ago on my birthday. FIgured it was time to open it up, since I heard it is drinking great. The pour is slightly golden/red with a sizeable, slightly off white head. Smell is pretty strong, I notice a nice compliment of both hops and malts on this one. The smell is almost candy like, very sweet and sugary smelling. I notice a bit of citrus in there, with some dark fruits as well. THe compliment each other very well. Taste is very smooth, with just a nice amount of cabonation, even for its age. I notice a great amount of that raisin or plum flavor. The mouthfeel is nice and silky. As I continue to sip, I notice just a bit of hop profile hitting my tongue. The hops begin to overpower the dark fruit and there is a good amount of earthiness. What started as sweet in the first few sips is now coming forth with an aggressive hop flavor. This seems good, but I am glad I drank it now, I think it’s heading past it’s prime.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Goodgrief (1744) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - SEP 3, 2007
Sept. 2005 rating - Poured a pale orange color with HUGE head and lacing that clung to the glass. The aroma was sweet and citrusy and the taste was similar. Nice sweet malty taste with loads of hops...well balanced. My first Stone tasting...hope I can get my hands on more of this stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5267) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 1, 2005
This wheat beer/American Strong Ale pours a orange gold color from a 22 oz etched bottle. Large white foamy head, with good long lasting lacing. Aroma is floral and earthy hops, citrus fruit and sweet. A medium to full bodied American Strong Ale. Malts are initially bready and there is a hint of banana and clove going on, but it seems to evolve into more of a coriander and tangerine and mint(?) taste as you progress through the taste. Lots of hops, citrus, pine and grapefruit. Crisp and clean and there is some wheat beer character in all those hops. Lively carbonated. I always wondered what a wheat beer from Stone would taste like, (yes I am a total beer geek, thank you!). This is exactly what I was expecting. I like it. Nice beer. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp and dry. Aftertaste is bitter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sregnar35 (952) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - SEP 3, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2005 Excellent beer this is. Nicely hopped, much like an IPA. Had the most pleasant creamy mouthfeel, almost like dreadnaught, but not quite as smooth and creamy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - OCT 25, 2005
poured this one last night. orange golden hazey hue. white tight head that flourished. full of pine evergreen needles , floral and resiny notes tingle the nose. full bodied explosion hit the tongue and palate, big upfront boldness of crisp hops, vanilla, and alcohol warmth. sweet false back bone that is subtly different then what you would expect. slight yeast push that envelopes the flavor throughout clinging to bite or tang at the end. much better then most of the rates suggest...imo.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2005
THe best part about this beer is the aroma. Great sweet grapefruit and pine hop aroma. Exactly the aroma I would expect from stone. Taste has some sweetness with of course big hop flavor (floral grapefruit). Alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not much.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2006 on tap. all that jazz i liked that hoppy fruity taste it had on it a little bitternes but it was delish... 22 malty super sexy beer has hops that dance like sex in the mouth really amazing

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BetterRedFred (65) - Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA - AUG 26, 2006
Wow - Stone does it again! Picked up two bombers - don’t usually like wheats, hedged my bet with Stone IPA - wish I’d bought some more. This one’s like an over the top wheat/IPA or something. All the cloudiness and complexity of a good wheat, with the typical hops bite of a Stone. The alcohol comes through a little too clearly, but other than that, a VERY fine brew. Definitely gonna pick up a case or two for long-term appreciation.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
awiseman01 (469) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - SEP 23, 2008
UPDATED: APR 14, 2009 Bottle, shared w/ danielcurtis81. Wonderful taste as old as it is. Bright orange, very fruity. Excellent hop character and very refreshing.