Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - SEP 12, 2005
On tap from the Stone 9th ann. extravaganza. Straw color with lots of foam and lace. Crisp hop and citrus flavors with a slightly sweet clean finish. Really a good brew.

jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 25, 2005
Pours a very nice sparkling clear copper/orange with a thick cream colored head. Very sharp, prominent fresh Pacific NW hop aroma (Centennial and Amarillo perhaps?) with a hint of tropical fruit. As for the flavor, this doesn’t really resemble any wheat beer I’ve had before, except for Gumballhead but that wasn’t really wheat beer-esque to me either. What this tastes like to me is a delicious cross between an IPA and an IIPA with a hint of some wheat beer qualities. Flavor has notes of grapefruit/citrus, orange, lemon, mango, pineapple, pine and resin on top of an undercurrent of sweet pale malt and I guess, some wheat in there too. Pleasantly sweet with obviously plenty of hops to balance it out. The only thing that detracts is somewhat of a hot alcohol bite in the finish. A smooth, light bitterness lingers on the palate. Medium bodied with a smooth texture and moderate carbonation. Not much lacing left on the glass but great, thick head retention throughout. It appears that I enjoyed this a lot more than the other raters have but IMO, another winner from Stone.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
tennisjoel (1164) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Wow! This is not for your average watered down beer drinker. It explodes with flavors of grapefruit, pine, lemon, citrus. Tart taste. Head is impressive, as is lace. I can see why this fits in the American Strong Ale category.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - OCT 2, 2005
22oz bomber pours golden with a very nice 2 inch fluffy white head that stays well and laces very well too. Aroma is floral. Like walking through a meadow of blooming flowers and coming to a grapefruit tree and plucking the ripest one from it’s branches.. Hops abound in the aroma. Flavor is a delicious blend of nice earthy malts, yeast, some pepper spice, a bit of molasses, some caramel, a bit of raisin, all attempting to break through the thick layer of grapefruit bitter hops. So many flavors makes this one complex brew and makes it even more amazing that the palate is so smooth and mouthcoating. Carbonated just right to give this a pleasant mouthfeel. No sign of the alcohol all the way to the bottom of this bottle. Beautiful the way the hops blend with the malts in harmonic fashion. I can only compare this to Gumballhead, but I really think that this is more complex, robust, and smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - OCT 19, 2005
Big hops bouquet of evergreen forest, perfume, flowers, resin, and believe it or not a hint of bubble gum. Pours a medium clear honey amber. Tall off white head the consistency of meringue topping. Nice big fluffy hunks of lace stick to the side of my pint glass. The brew is of course big and hoppy from the start - just the way I like it; but not without a hint of malt presence for some balance. The warm alcohol middle has heavy acidity throughout. The finish is classic Stone - BIG! The medium dry body is lively and feels chalky at the finish. This brew is a perfect example of the excellence that is consistently brought to us by the good people at Stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - NOV 8, 2005
Bottle. Honey body with a very thick lasting foamy head. Very big spicy nose that reminds me of musk and sticky PNW hops. Great nose. Taste-salty, lots of medium to high bitterness, piney citric hops, black pepper, and lots of spice. Looks like an American Wheat, smells like an IIPA, tastes like a mild American Strong Ale. Overall, this is excellent. I am surprised that this isn’t rated much higher.

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - APR 9, 2006
From a 22oz. brown bomber bottle with a blurb about the wheat ale on the back label and a September 2005 bottling date on the front label. Made a good appearance, poured a chill hazy orange hued golden with a fluffy, bubbly topped white head that slowly settled into a semi-clingy, thin fluffy lacing, good carbonation. Had a floral and pear fruity nose with a earthy, tart wheat malt and a buttery yeastiness. A smooth, creamy but crisp and bitter medium bodied mouth feel, good drinkability. Spicy and peppery with a little fruity hoppiness upfront, good and bitter, tart and earthy from the wheat malt, the distinctive Stone buttery yeastiness and a bitter and tart earthy finish. The alcohol level is well masked by the hops and wheat malt. A very interesting take on a wheat ale, I enjoyed the bitterness and earthy flavors, a winner in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - APR 15, 2006
I was abit surprized by the almost yellow egg color of the beer.It didn’t have much of an aroma.Perhaps if it were drunk at a warmer temperature.I though everything was well balanced.It was a slow drink type of beer for me,as I am still aquiring a taste for the stronger flavored beers.Amnong those type of beers this was fairly easy to drink.I felt that I was drinking a meal,as it had alot of flavor.I like this one.I will have to watch my intake of it ,as it has alot of calories I suppose.I would buy again!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
JoeMcPhee (8357) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 25, 2006
22 oz bomber. Orange beer, thick yellow head. Creamy and sticky lacing. Beautiful tropical fruit and pine resin hops. Spicy and slightly orange as well. Great hop bill. Some light soft wheaty aroma underneath the assertive tropical/spicy hops. Flavour delivers the goods. Big bright tropical hops, strong citrus and a bit of pine. Soft creamy texture. Wheaty spice mingles with the spicy hops in the finish. Bitterness is present but surprisingly restrained. Lingering orange/tangerine flavour. The hops work well with all of the wheat in here producing a very tasty and original brew. Nice work.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 20, 2006
Pours a slightly less than clear yellow, through a bit richer than macroyellow with a thining white head. The aroma is a pungent with grapefruit and pine. Slightly sweet with a bit of graininess. This is really well balanced in the aroma. The palate is above average in terms of mouthfeel. A little fizzy, a little viscous and slippery, with a bit of warmth. The flavors are precisely in line with the aromas. Big pungent grapefruit and sharp pine balanced with sweet light malt, that might even be slightly cloying without the big bitterness. The flavors almost meld into an american style barleywine or IIPA, other than that though of graininess. Really a sharp clean bitterness as an aftertaste. I really enjoyed this brew and wish it weren’t just a one off!