Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 480   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Had this on draft at the stone 9th party. Well, I’d be more impressed if Stone had debuted this as "Stone Wheat" rather than as an anniversary beer. It tasted like a middle of the road american wheat to me. nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - SEP 15, 2005
Inviting grapefruit/citrus hop nose nearly overpowers the toasty wheat, which is only slightly evident in the aroma. While the combo works OK in the nose, it becomes muddled in the body. Loads of hop bitterness clash with the smoothness of the wheat, creating dirty off flavors that don’t seem to fit this ’clean’ beer. Wet dirt is one I keep getting in the finish. The heavy mouthfeel doesn’t help either. The loads of citrusy hops are overpowering throughout and just don’t synch with the wheat (and yeast) for me. I would take their near perfect IPA any day of the week and twice on Sunday over this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
FuntonBunton (61) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Golden, like an Arizona sunset. Bitter w/ a hoppy taste that will send you into a euphoria. Let your mind and palate obambulate, as this potation is a phonistery. Better towards the beginning of the experience than the end of it. Put on a cup, and take a sip, because it may kick you in the nuts.

Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 30, 2005
Pours a hazy orange hue with aromas of pine and wheat. Flavors of pine, wheat with a smooth lingering, bitter finish similar to an IPA. BLAS!!

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Clear amber-gold color with a small off-white head. The aroma and flavor were strong with citrusy hops, but also had a nice fruitiness in the background...alcohol came through a little too much. The feel was very crisp with a dry finish. I’m a little disappointed with the past two anniversary beers. When are they gonna do an imperial stout anniversary ale?

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
pfhyde (56) - Davis, California, USA - DEC 27, 2005
This is a great buy--7.8% ABV for 1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz. of consistently tasty, Belgium style ale. If you want the fizz of Belgium, but can’t afford the real deal, give this a shot. It comes across as subpar at first, but believe me, it’s worth a second (third, fourth) try. (Oh, and make sure you look up all the words on the bottle description in the Oxford English Dictionary--they’re great fun.)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
JK (4476) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - FEB 3, 2006
I thought I was drinking a simple, but good, pale ale. There is not much to this light orange beer besides the hops in the aroma and the bitter hops in the flavor. The 8th was better.

PilsnerPeter (3028) - Flushing, New York, USA - OCT 17, 2010
Tap RnH: Hazy golden with a white film. Papery aroma with a faded hop, quite spearmint like. Velvety body with a minty flavor. Cookiesh malts brace the body, but it’s quite oxidized at this point. Still solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2005
I went to the doctor a few weeks back and he told me I am going to die. Of course I am; everyone does eventually die after all. I was also told that my Liver Enzymes were elevated and needed to be evaluated. The solution: drink no alcohol for 1 month and get re-tested. Me being the good patient that I am, I complied. The re-test results came back and my Liver Enzymes were even more elevated than before (alcohol 1 = medicine 0). Segueing back into a normal alcohol consumption schedule for 3 weeks and then getting a 2nd re-test lent much better results, normal Liver Enzymes(alcohol 2 = medicine 0)! However, while laying off the bottle I lost 10 pounds (alcohol 2 = medicine 1). Thus in the end, according to my specious argument, alcohol is better than medicine by a 2 to 1 margin for what ails you.

Oh yeah the beer, I almost forgot it has been so long. Stone 9th. Another “imperialized” beer, this time a wheat. The pour is quite nice, clear golden-amber with a lovely lacey white head. The aroma is dripping with piney hops and faint nutty wheat. The flavor is marred in a rather serious way by a staggering amount of alcohol flavor. Not warming but medicinal, and if there is one thing you will have learned by now it is that alcohol beats medicine: what does this say about medicinal alcohol? That is left as an exercise to the reader. Smells and looks better than it tastes.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Pours a cloudy orange with a big thick foam. Aromas are nasty with cheesy piney grassy hops but nothing floral or sweet smelling to blance the major phenols mixing with the hops. A really horrid smelling beer. Not infected, but might as well be. The body is med. The flavors are lightly sweet with a hodgepodge of spices, lemon peel, cloves, banna and a descent amount of sharp phenols. Finish is sweet and uneventful. One of the weakest American strongs I have had and the weakest beer I have ever had from stone.