overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 3597   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
This is an aggressive beer. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - MAY 12, 2004
Awesome, just plain awesome! If you think you’re worthy(and you are!)give this bad boy a try!

crazyvin (1943) - New York, USA - MAY 10, 2004
poured a beautiful mohagany color with a thin tan head. aroma was sweet and malty with hints of citrus and alcohol. Flavor was mostly sweet with a spicy alcohol bite. Its hop flavor was full and pure.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
PullMeABeer (203) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - MAY 10, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2004 22oz Bottle. Am I worthy?? My nerves were a their peak as I put my opener to the imposing bottle. Pop!!,I was on my way to meeting this so called Bastard. It poured a slightly hazy orange/brown/red with a large towering head. The beer seemed to stare at me as much as I looked at it. Initial aroma of a freshly opened sour grapefruit slapped me in the face. Alcohol and a full richness lingered in the nose of this noble beast. As I put my lips up to the glass the beer bit my tongue. The grapefruit tartness runs throughout the beer as its strong backbone. Carmel sweetness lingers in the background. Spices and other unique flavor round this beverage out wonderfully. Mouth feel is medium, and the aftertaste might be the most impressive thing of all. I found myself smacking my lips, and wanting to drink more of the tempting and delicious elixir. I started out thinking "AAAAAHHHHGGG what is this" and ended saying MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! I am worthy!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MrKevvie (29) - Texas, USA - MAY 9, 2004
I loved this one, its got a ball tearer of a flavour, wicked punch after a couple and very drinkable, overall a dangerous one if you get too many at once, easy to keep drinking!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadey (1902) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 9, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2006 I must not have been drinking the same thing as the rest of you guys. The color and head were beautiful and the texture was nice, but the actual flavor was very alcoholy and bitter. I didn’t like it at all. I couldn’t even finish it. 8/4/3/3/9

RERATE: Dark color reddish brown color. Delicate ring of tight white creamy bubbles. Aroma is bitter hops. Dark, resiny. Also as the beer warms up, the malt starts to show up. The flavor is very bitter with an abundance of hops. Fresh, rough, Arrogant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - MAY 8, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2005 This is the bastard ive been waiting to rate. And it is aggressive... and beutiful too. Lots of malt and then a shitload of hops in the flavor as well as in the aroma. The bastard keeps sitting in your mouth lon time after youve had it... I love this brew... wish i could drink this as my every day beer! Upd. I have now tried AB stoemped with Spunk (no, not that kind of spunk, small danish licorices), and i must say that it makes this beer even better!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - MAY 7, 2004
Nice deep red color with a creamy beige head. Very tangy grapefruit hops, sweet caramel and malt aroma and flavors. One of my favorites!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
nja (17) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 6, 2004
Nice very dark red color with generous white head. Aroma of hops, toffee, and alcohol. Malty, hoppy flavor with very prominent alcohol. Very disjointed, chaotic flavors: just tons of flavors and booze crammed together with little finesse or balance. Just ’cause it tastes A LOT doesn’t mean it tastes GOOD. 22oz bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sammy (8665) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 5, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2004 Real hoppy, lively. Fun before dinner as tad bitter and dry aftertaste. Citrus and spice. Cannot finish by myself. Two or three on this bottle. Beer to have once a month but cannot find in Ontario. Redish brown with foamy head. Had also on tapp at Blue Tusk and works.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 4, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 16, 2005 22 oz. bottle: deep ruby color. smelled like sour apples, and hops. huge beer. pure joy. Very complex taste, all of the different flavors hit you at a different time in the sip. VERY drinkable for a well worked in palate. Smoothe in the mouth, and it goes down fruity and hoppy. Fruits galore with every sip, you feel like you notice another thing about the brew each time you taste it. Really excellent brew. All the flavors blend really well together. pure bliss in a tulip glass