overall

RATINGS: 567   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Ale brewed with anise, oak chips and belgian yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
beergodd1 (400) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2011
This Stone didnít work for me. The licorice and malt aromas were a strange combination. The anise taste overtakes the rest of the flavors. I was looking forward to what the Belgian yeast would do. Pours black, with a dark tan head. Anise, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate on the nose. The anise really stands out in here. Flavor is the same good old Stone IRS, but overpowered by the anise. They really put too much of the stuff in here, I couldnít finish it. Bomber was split, And didnít go over well with my friends. I am Amazed it gets such a good rating.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
harrisoni (16592) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - DEC 30, 2011
At Chriso New Year 2011/12 tasting. Black beer lasting thick beige head. Aniseed on aroma. Yes too much aniseed some decent impy stout but ruined one of my favourite beers with the anise

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
KickInChalice (860) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2012
From notes. First reviewed 8/9/2011. Served on tap at Bangers & Lace in a tasting glass. The glass is black through with just a touch of mahogany at the edge. A nice creamy head laces up the glass with each sip. Belgian yeast and tons of black licorice flood the nose, overpowering the roasted malt and obliterating the dark fruits I was expecting. Up front I am graced with a quick molasses sweetness, but this is mostly black licorice, unfortunately. Wave after wave of anise lash my tongue, crushing my hopes of having an interesting new take on the IRS. This has a medium body for the style. It feels lighter than the original because of the cutting anise flavor and acrid nature of the beer. Smooth, creamy carbonation cannot save this from the flavor. Overall, this is definitely worse than the (phenomenal) regular Stone Imperial Stout. I would not order this again, and I would venture to say this is one of the worst offerings I have ever had from Stone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcos (1778) - Maryland, USA - SEP 17, 2012
Location/Date:Bottle on September 14th, 2012.

Appearance: Pours dark brown with read head.
Aroma: Aroma of coffee, licorice.
Taste: Faint hop, coffee, too much licorice sweetness.
Palate: Medium body, lingering aftertaste.

Summary: This is a well made beer but the amount of licorice is just too much for me, and I enjoy licorice. Only could drink 4-5 ounces of it.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brikelly (39) - New Hampshire, USA - JUN 11, 2011
Wow, talk about a swing-and-a-miss! The normal IRS is one of my favorite beers, but this anise-laden monstrosity just begs the question, "WHY?". Far too much licorice and anise flavor intensity ruin the taste and the finish. Hey Stone: donít be Dogfish Head. Wacko ingredient levels are risky business, so stick with the other incredible beer styles that you have already perfected. My sink is going to finish this beer. Sigh.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerchugger (708) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - JUN 29, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2011 Black pour with a full thick creamy tan head and sheets of lace clinging to the glass. Smells of chocolate and loads of licorice, anise, coffee, and subtle hints of oak. The anise is really strong in the aroma and is really dominate. Chocolate, loads of anise and licorice, coffee, belgian yeast, booze, and spices. The anise is so strong and overpowering that it turns this beer rather one dimensional. A bitter burnt roasted malt and spicy finish. One needs to love licorice in order to really appreciate this. Just way too much licorice for me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
drseusszb200 (687) - Florida, USA - JUL 6, 2011
smelled of licorice, anise, chocolate, and gym socks. tasted like i was eating licorice in a locker room. not good

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
coharahawk (170) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2011
Tap at Barcade. Pours pitch black with minimal head. Aroma is dominated by anise (not surprising), with some roasty notes. Flavor is overly sweet and tastes like a giant black jelly bean. Slightly bitter and alcoholic in the finish. I wasnít initially aware this beer was meant to be an "anise RIS", so I was quite taken aback. I really like black licorice, but this was too much. I found myself choking this down. Not a fan of this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Nickls (2228) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JUL 27, 2011
Tap. Rich dark tan head; jet black body with noticeable sediment. Lots of licorice in both the taste and the aroma, and clearly the anise is doing its job. Prune sweetness, some light roast and only a hint of dryness in the finish. Just way too much for me on the anise and a bit too sweet. Gotta say that I really donít like this at all. Not my thing in the slightest.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - AUG 9, 2011
Opaque, with an espresso head. Aroma is super strong licorice, background chocolate and roastiness. Taste is licorice, mixed with chocolate, lightly smokey, mild roastiness, mild alcohol.