overall

RATINGS: 564   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Ale brewed with anise, oak chips and belgian yeast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
beergodd1 (400) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2011
This Stone didnít work for me. The licorice and malt aromas were a strange combination. The anise taste overtakes the rest of the flavors. I was looking forward to what the Belgian yeast would do. Pours black, with a dark tan head. Anise, coffee, and bittersweet chocolate on the nose. The anise really stands out in here. Flavor is the same good old Stone IRS, but overpowered by the anise. They really put too much of the stuff in here, I couldnít finish it. Bomber was split, And didnít go over well with my friends. I am Amazed it gets such a good rating.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
brikelly (39) - New Hampshire, USA - JUN 11, 2011
Wow, talk about a swing-and-a-miss! The normal IRS is one of my favorite beers, but this anise-laden monstrosity just begs the question, "WHY?". Far too much licorice and anise flavor intensity ruin the taste and the finish. Hey Stone: donít be Dogfish Head. Wacko ingredient levels are risky business, so stick with the other incredible beer styles that you have already perfected. My sink is going to finish this beer. Sigh.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerchugger (708) - North Canton, Ohio, USA - JUN 29, 2011
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2011 Black pour with a full thick creamy tan head and sheets of lace clinging to the glass. Smells of chocolate and loads of licorice, anise, coffee, and subtle hints of oak. The anise is really strong in the aroma and is really dominate. Chocolate, loads of anise and licorice, coffee, belgian yeast, booze, and spices. The anise is so strong and overpowering that it turns this beer rather one dimensional. A bitter burnt roasted malt and spicy finish. One needs to love licorice in order to really appreciate this. Just way too much licorice for me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
drseusszb200 (687) - Florida, USA - JUL 6, 2011
smelled of licorice, anise, chocolate, and gym socks. tasted like i was eating licorice in a locker room. not good

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
coharahawk (170) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2011
Tap at Barcade. Pours pitch black with minimal head. Aroma is dominated by anise (not surprising), with some roasty notes. Flavor is overly sweet and tastes like a giant black jelly bean. Slightly bitter and alcoholic in the finish. I wasnít initially aware this beer was meant to be an "anise RIS", so I was quite taken aback. I really like black licorice, but this was too much. I found myself choking this down. Not a fan of this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Nickls (1974) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JUL 27, 2011
Tap. Rich dark tan head; jet black body with noticeable sediment. Lots of licorice in both the taste and the aroma, and clearly the anise is doing its job. Prune sweetness, some light roast and only a hint of dryness in the finish. Just way too much for me on the anise and a bit too sweet. Gotta say that I really donít like this at all. Not my thing in the slightest.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - AUG 9, 2011
Opaque, with an espresso head. Aroma is super strong licorice, background chocolate and roastiness. Taste is licorice, mixed with chocolate, lightly smokey, mild roastiness, mild alcohol.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
JazzyJ (4) - Washington, USA - DEC 31, 2011 does not count
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2012 I have always enjoy other brews from Stone with the exception of this one. I tried this one out of mistakenly thinking it was the original IRS at a quick glance. It pours an excellent black color with a small head. The aroma is a roasted coffee/cocoa mix followed an abrupt smell of anise just like licorice. Talk about a bomb of anise! At first I got the taste of a slightly strong cocoa and coffee mix, but was swiftly moved aside to the anise. I donít really mind anise all that much, but I feel it just over powers the rest of the ingredients. I would say if you thoroughly enjoy a brew with stronger anise tones, go for this beast. [22 oz. Bottle]

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
kennethkearns (5) - New York, USA - JAN 2, 2012 does not count
The anise really dominates this stout. Tastes like someone dumped some grappa in my stout ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
nick76 (4314) - Tampa, Florida, USA - AUG 8, 2012
The aroma is strong with alcohol, licorice, toasted malt, and molasses. The appearance is dark brown with a medium head. The taste is like the aroma but not pleasant. The palate is smooth but not thick. Overall not a favorite of mine.