overall

RATINGS: 1253   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
You have in your hands a devastatingly fresh double IPA. While freshness is a key component of many beers- especially big, citrusy, floral IPAs- we’ve taken it further, a lot further, in this IPA. You see, we specifically brewed it NOT to last. We’ve not only gone to extensive lengths to ensure that you’re getting this beer in your hands within an extraordinarily short window, we made sure that the Enjoy By date isn’t randomly etched in tiny text somewhere on the bottle, to be overlooked by all but the most attentive of retailers and beer fans. Instead, we’ve sent a clear message with the name of the beer itself that there is no better time than right now to enjoy this IPA.

Batch List:
                                Enjoy By 11-12-13
                                Enjoy By 12-13-13

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
AxlLives (286) - Maryland, USA - MAR 5, 2013
22 oz bottle - Enjoy By 04-01-13. Pours clear golden yellow-orange with nice, big white head, bubble-fluff with gossamer lacing. Big hoppy piney aromas, resiny citrus, hints of hay, some grapefruit and orange. Taste is all hops with citrus orangey grassy floral notes, hot, bitter hops at the end. The sickness and the cure indeed. Lingering bitter notes. Medium bodied, crisp finish. Really awesome. This is what my mind remembers what my first sip of a Stone IPA was like back in San Diego in 2005. Love it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jrgratz (113) - New York, USA - MAR 5, 2013
Tap at Top Hops.. Enjoy by 4-1-13. Are all Stone’s IPAs the goddamn same.. I feel like its the Ruination round 5. Nice floral, citrus aroma. Taste is too malted and leaves a weird coating in mouth. Decent but nothing new here.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
canes89 (29) - New York, USA - MAR 5, 2013
I never gave a 10 for aroma before! great beer . Will seek out this weekend. Very drinkable, bring a driver.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
NachlamSie (2723) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 5, 2013
UPDATED: APR 4, 2014 Bomber from Green’s. I have sought this beer since its first release because of one-upping even Pliny’s freshness mantra. And my search has paid dividends in profound hoppiness. The second the cap comes off it’s hop intensity even a foot away from my nose. Loads of dank goodness onslaught my olfacroties. It has been ages since I’ve experienced this. The flavor is a mouthful of hops with perfectly inoffensive malts serving merely as a canvas. The depth of the herbs, citrus is insane. Beautiful.
[March 6, 2013]
Another bomber of the Enjoy By 4-01-13. Let me tell you something, I love how Stone has overcome the foolishness of the Vertical Epic by embracing their true strength: fresh hoppy beers. Making a date stamp the literal title of this beer and prominently, boldly displaying it on the front of the bottle is a gimmick that I absolutely love. Stone has the IIPA prowess to back it up. SO much hop intensity is dripping off this beer. Endless dank herbal bite with a wash of citrus to back it up. Best hop showcase I’ve had in a great while. I love it.
[Tap at Freshcraft of the 04.20.14]
Yep. This stuff is a fantastic showcase of hops. It’s herbal, piney, citrusy. just all over the place. The body is pretty heavy and there is apparent malty sweetness that peeks out. I don’t seem to recall noticing the malt or alcohol "this much" before. That’s not to say it’s in the way of the hop onslaught. Great IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
StefanSD (2070) - Lakeside, California, USA - MAR 5, 2013
Stone enjoy by 04-01-13. Pours a translucent brass color with a small white head that slowly recedes to a fine film. The aroma is big with oranges, grapefruit, melons, pineapple and something a bit soapy. The taste mirrors the aroma, lots of emphasis on the pineapple flavors, with oranges and grapefruit following. The malt base is neutral and transparent. The palate is full and silky smooth with lively carbonation. Finishes long and dry with lingering pineapple. Overall: Wow--powerhouse of an IPA, I’m thinking they used Nelson hops here. Well done stone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Chuckaduck (624) - Highland Heights, Kentucky, USA - MAR 5, 2013
Enjoy By 04-01-13. Bottled 2/22/2013. Consumed 3/1/2013. Considering the freshness of this bottle (a week since bottling), I am shocked at how underwhelming this experience was. Pours green-gold with a thin white head. Aroma is caramel, pine, biter hops, spice, leafy, resin. Taste is spicy, bitter, bread, crisp, fresh, fruity. Very clean mouth feel. Well-hidden alcohol. Certainly not bad but not in any way worth the hype that this beer is surrounded by. Too much malt; not much in the way of aromatics; just not as hoppy or as bitter as I think this should have been. May revisit another batch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavidWoodruff (390) - Windsor, California, USA - MAR 4, 2013
Clear deep gold with moderate white head. Not as aromatic as other Sone IPA’s - a bit of pine. Bright pine resin flavor against a full, slightly sweet malt backdrop. Long hoppy, bitter finish. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
phikus01 (103) - New York, USA - MAR 4, 2013
The hop profile in this beer is like smuttynose balanced and refined. Maybe some Willamette sorta hops too. Catpiss aroma (sans ammonia), sour diesel flavor, sugar coated pine aftertaste. Alcohol very well hidden. Kinda like 3 parts smutty IPA, one part stone IPA, one part dogfish 60 minute. Enjoying this price wise (like many others) is what i guesslike being raped by Angelina jolie would be like. Very delicious but still feeling violated

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bule (690) - California, USA - MAR 4, 2013
Enjoy By 04.01.13 on tap at Taps in Petaluma. Another amazing installment of this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Belgian22 (17) - Deerfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 4, 2013
UPDATED: APR 20, 2013 Was lucky enough to have a faithful friend put one aside for me - this was the 4/1/13 version, 22 oz. I’ve had most of the best double IPA’s around, so my expectations were quite high. Not sure I like the ’sense of urgency’ marketing scheme, so hopefully that didn’t affect my impressions. But they are: Very good beer, all told. But not in my top five DIPA’s. The color was a burnt amber, more akin to the Six Point Resin, so that is a plus. Carbonation and head were frothy and decent, but not as much so as the ’topper. The aroma was probably this beer’s best feature, nice development as it warmed up. The mouthfeel, medium, I could have used just a bit more froth. Taste was really crisp, nice flavor burst, but a tightly controlled balance, quite drier than I expected. Again, aside from marketing and cost, a very good beer, but at some point those factors have to be considered. Hop Crisis, ’Topper, Resin, all better - even the Dogfish 90 is better and that’s been largely unchanged for quite a while. If you can get one, great, you won’t be disappointed - if not, don’t buy into the hype. There’s bigger and better fish in the sea. 4/20/13 This time for the 5/17/13 model. I’m not changing my numerical scores - but just add a quick note on this version. Another kingly gift from a friend. In my review of the 4/1/13 I was too ashamed to admit that I was visiting the cape and didn’t have proper glassware - had to drink from a highball... So this time I’m at home and have dumped the contents into a nice tulip chalice. The carbonation is sluggish, a bit like a light snow in reverse. Color as noted above. Juicy lacing, with a couple of swishes it retains about a half cm on the surface with plenty of suds clinging to the sides above. Nose is again unreal for a hop fan, mouthfeel medium/heavy, but for my money the taste this time is a tad sweeter. I have to say this one wins out for me.