overall

RATINGS: 1501   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
You have in your hands a devastatingly fresh double IPA. While freshness is a key component of many beers- especially big, citrusy, floral IPAs- we’ve taken it further, a lot further, in this IPA. You see, we specifically brewed it NOT to last. We’ve not only gone to extensive lengths to ensure that you’re getting this beer in your hands within an extraordinarily short window, we made sure that the Enjoy By date isn’t randomly etched in tiny text somewhere on the bottle, to be overlooked by all but the most attentive of retailers and beer fans. Instead, we’ve sent a clear message with the name of the beer itself that there is no better time than right now to enjoy this IPA.

Batch List:
                                Enjoy By 12-13-13

ThisWangsChung's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
ThisWangsChung (826) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - MAR 13, 2013
Reviewed 3/10/13. 22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison. S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it’s not quite to my preference for an IPA. T: At first, there’s some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it’s some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there’s a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn’t strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it’s not all bad, I guess. I’ve got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown. M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not ’as fuck’, but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I’m reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable. O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let’s not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn’t love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
culchiem (2846) - Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 4, 2015
Bottle from Marco. Clean Amber gold with a full head. Aroma is fruity, taste is grapefruit and hop. Decent

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
samsmith33 (512) - - MAY 1, 2015
Bottle to pilsner glass. Enjoy by 4.20.15. Appearance: big white head. Hazy medium yellow. Aroma is citrus, grapefruit, light grasses and pine. Taste is mostly hair spray, some lemon and pine. Medium carb. Not impressed, though I rarely am by an ipa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
c0fein (323) - Helsinki, FINLAND - APR 30, 2015
650ml bottle from Whole Foods - Tribeca, New York. Thanks Jesse! Enjoy By 04.20.15. Bottled 03.16.15. Better late than never!

Clear orange/copper colour with a white head. Sharp tropical and fresh aroma. Flavour of grapefruit, orange, dry bitterness. Good stuff but expected a bit more. This is still fresh to me!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
WisconsinBeer (715) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 28, 2015
Bottle. Enjoy by 4.20.15. Whoops, I’m a week late. Clear pale orange, minimal head. Danky resinious hop aromas. Bubble gum, citrus, floral for the hops profile. Otherwise relatively light bodied and easy sipping. Seems to have a bit of funk to it as well. Finish is dry and clean. Definitely feeling it after one. Good stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MarinEvelyn (642) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 21, 2015
4/20/15 Very hoppy, bitter. Tastes of melon, pine, earthy/herbal. Aroma is citrus, sticky, herbal, a little tropical.

mghj (18) - pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 20, 2015
Enjoy by 4/20/15 on 4/20/15, 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours nice thick head, clear amber color. Aroma of melon, nicely carbonated. Citrus start and ends slightly bitter

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lana5 (42) - Canton, Michigan, USA - APR 18, 2015
Has a nice golden color. Has a sweet flavor with a bitter after taste. The after taste could be because it’s has a citrus/grapefruit taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Mjp12 (639) - York, North Yorkshire, ENGLAND - APR 18, 2015
This was 4/20 , on tap. It didn’t have the hop freshness that I was expecting, while still a decent beer, I was expecting more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
geologyguy (901) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - APR 17, 2015
Very good sweet citrus and fruit smell, taste is strong alcohol off the bat, mellows quickly to fruity esters and sweetness, hops are almost all upfront

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Fox13riderco (6) - Sacramento, California, USA - APR 17, 2015 does not count
Good fresh hoppy beer enjoyable have had the enjoy by a few times and will continue to when I come across it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone