overall

RATINGS: 1659   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.07/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
You have in your hands a devastatingly fresh double IPA. While freshness is a key component of many beers- especially big, citrusy, floral IPAs- we’ve taken it further, a lot further, in this IPA. You see, we specifically brewed it NOT to last. We’ve not only gone to extensive lengths to ensure that you’re getting this beer in your hands within an extraordinarily short window, we made sure that the Enjoy By date isn’t randomly etched in tiny text somewhere on the bottle, to be overlooked by all but the most attentive of retailers and beer fans. Instead, we’ve sent a clear message with the name of the beer itself that there is no better time than right now to enjoy this IPA.

Batch List:
Enjoy By 10-31-15

ThisWangsChung's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
ThisWangsChung (826) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - MAR 13, 2013
Reviewed 3/10/13. 22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison. S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it’s not quite to my preference for an IPA. T: At first, there’s some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it’s some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there’s a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn’t strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it’s not all bad, I guess. I’ve got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown. M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not ’as fuck’, but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I’m reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable. O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let’s not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn’t love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JPDIPSO (5312) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - APR 27, 2016
By 04.20.14 enjoyed on 4/11/14 Clean golden liquid with a smallish beige head. Aroma is of citrus and a bit of urinal cake. Flavor start with sweet grapefruit and leads to pale and woody malts. Very sharp and hoppy. Floral aspects in the finish and linger. Part I like, and other parts are a bit too over the top for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shigadeyo (3571) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 23, 2016
4/22/216: I’ve had several editions of this with the most recent being Enjoy By 4-20-16... Aroma of citrus, pine, melon, peach and flora hops with some cereal graininess; dark gold to almost amber in color, frothy beige head; thin grainy maltiness, hops dominate, of course ,and present grapefruit, pine, and a touch of something tropical, dry finish, alcohol is COMPLETELY hidden which makes this a dangerous one (and probably why my girlfriend was pretty drunk toward the end of the night after only have a few pints!); medium body, smooth, average texture; this is a solid IPA and it smells and tastes nicely hoppy and fresh, but it’s nothing overly unique or special at this point. Draught at Nation Bar & Grill in Cincinnati, Ohio.

oldrtybastrd (4341) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - APR 19, 2016
Pours a nice deep amber color. Aromas of hops/hops/citrus. Strong hop flavors with malts and a dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hirigalzkar (2729) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 16, 2016
Bottle (thanks finol). Grassy and citrusy with elderflower notes. Drinkable and rather light. Well hidden alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
nealblind (1556) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - APR 11, 2016
plain gold. Aroma dank cheesey hops. I can sense resin on my lips before it arrives. Very snappy carbonation, spruce, palt for size malt bill, mid sweet. Balanced, mouth tingling reisin.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
CzechTex (87) - - APR 10, 2016
Large bottle. Superior IPA, solid on all counts. Deserving of the high ratings. No lacing, minor foaming. Light on the tongue, refreshing. To repeat....

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jsporrer (416) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 10, 2016
On tap @ HO1K Beers. Enjoy by 04.20.16. Pours a clear straw-amber color with a white head of foam. Nice aroma of pine and citrus. Slightly bitter with a good citrus flavor. Pretty standard and nothing special but it was enjoyable. OK but not my favorite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LouisP (47) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 10, 2016
Bouteille 355 mL, version du 04-20-2016 Couleur : Blonde, belle mousse au-dessus du liquide et une bonne effervescence pour couronner cette bière. Arôme : Au nez, on distingue un houblon assez résineux, peut-être également assez floral. Un peu agrumé au nez également. Goût : Au goût, c’est très west coast : amertume prononcée, très résineux, on à l’impression de goûter à de l’écorce d’arbre en quelque sorte! Pour une bière a 9.2%, on goûte très peu l’alcool. Appréciation : C’est pas mal fait, mais un peu standard, rien de spécial neressort de cette bière, si ce n’est que le taux de buvabilité assez élevé pour une bière aussi forte en alcool. Loin d’être mauvaise, comprenons-nous bien, mais on s’attend à plus d’une bière aussi bien cotée.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
rajendra82 (1022) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - APR 8, 2016
The beer poured a lovely shade of golden, with one a crystal clear body. The head was a little small, barely measuring at one finger thick. The aroma was very dank, smelling of grapefruit and pine resin. The taste was superlative. I was blown away by the assault of the dank piney and citric hops strong enough to strip teeth enamel. The hops were backed by simple pale malts that provided just a touch of sweetness. This was a sticky hop bomb, and coated my tongue, and throat going down, providing a long lingering hop aftertaste. The alcohol was well hidden, making this very drinkable despite the near double digit ABV. This is an essential beer if you are a hophead. I thought I had already reviewed it before now, but I was wrong about that. You can bet this is going to be a go to purchase for me from now on.

04.20.2016 edition, enjoyed on 04.09.2016

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TThumper89 (26) - Otsego, Michigan, USA - APR 8, 2016
04/08/16 - on tap at The Beer Exchange in Kalamazoo, quite a good IPA. Very similar to Founders Azacca IPA. Good brew! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone