overall

RATINGS: 3089   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"Thereís no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because Iím one of íem and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" Thatís because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hiphops (286) - caldwell, New Jersey, USA - MAR 27, 2006
on tap. might as well be the king of imperial stouts. murky heavy syrupy. very complex. chocolatey

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheEnemy (564) - Chicago, USA - MAR 25, 2006
22oz bomber, presumabley 2005 version.
Courtesy of acertain via trade. Pours a rich dark black with minimal head and no lacing to speak of. Rather lovely aroma of chocolate, licorice, coffee and dried cherries. Flavor is pretty standard imperial stout fare, its primary characteristic being deeply roasted grain with strong, acrid carbon overtones. For the life of me, I donít know why so many beer aficiandos find this to be a pleasing feature of many imperial stouts, but I most certainly do not. Not all is lost though as the flavor also features nice bits of toffee, hints of dried cherries & raisins, and a gently warming alcohol presence. Chalky palate accompanies a dry-carbon aftertaste. Nice beer, though plenty overrated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - MAR 25, 2006
A great imperial. I really enjoyed it. Up there with the best of the style. Very hearty. Dark as the soul of my friend Jine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 24, 2006
2.22.06 On tap at Andyís for Stone Promo Night. Like the crude spilling from a floundering tanker in the Alaskan gulf. Besotting.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (6484) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 20, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 22, 2013 I have had this one sitting around for quite some time - I believe that this is the 2004 batch. Sampled from a 22 oz brown bottle this beer poured thick, black and oily with a huge dark brown head that lingered. The aroma is very strong sweet chocolate with moderate roasty malts. The flavor is strong roasty malts with a tangy middle and a moderately sweet chocolate on the finish. There is a strong floral hop presence throughout. Roasty chocolate lingers on the finish. The beer gets much more bitter and a bit of an alcohol burn comes out as the beer warms. Exceptional.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (5737) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 20, 2006
Bottle(room temp Ė July 2005 release): Poured a pitch-black color stout with a bid foamy dark brown head with pretty good retention. Aroma of roasted malt with some coffee. Roasted caramel malt are easy to distinguish with some very easily distinguishable coffee. I was expecting a bit more complexity (liquorice, chocolate, plumsÖ) or even more hops. Body was quite full and alcohol was well hidden. Overall, this is a very good imperial stout but I was expecting a bit more complexity and I still have to say that I would drink Expedition over this any day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 14, 2006
Pours a deep blackish brown with faint reddish tan head. Nose is roasted dark malts and bitter dark chocolate. Flavor is thinner than expected, with thick chocolate notes and sweet malts with a crisp hop bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2006
This beer has a an aroma consisting of molasses, malt, coffee, anise, caramel, and a mild hint of smoke. It is a black solution with a thick caramel colored head. This thick smooth beer is rich and creamy. The taste is an infusion of coffee, molasses, and dark caramel. The dark caramel taste lingers well after swallowing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ghstride83 (4) - Hemet, California, USA - MAR 5, 2006 does not count
Is one of the darkest beers I have ever had. Full of dark robust flavor. Dark in color as well as taste. Canít necessarily describe itís taste. After taste is kinda harsh but thatís the way I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 5, 2006
After 43 rounds, I throw in the towel. Iím poured what seems to be an all too big helping of Stone Imperial Stout. I know I wanted the dark, heavy stouts at the beginning of the night. But, man, that was the beginning of the night. What I want now is a sack full of sliders. I sip at this one. On top of everything else itís black licorice sweet and my stomach is letting me know its displeasure. But itís so good. Still, I obey the warnings of my body (for once) and just put the glass down truly satisfied. Now if I can just get my ride home to stop for some Krystals.....