overall

RATINGS: 3094   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (5815) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 20, 2006
Bottle(room temp – July 2005 release): Poured a pitch-black color stout with a bid foamy dark brown head with pretty good retention. Aroma of roasted malt with some coffee. Roasted caramel malt are easy to distinguish with some very easily distinguishable coffee. I was expecting a bit more complexity (liquorice, chocolate, plums…) or even more hops. Body was quite full and alcohol was well hidden. Overall, this is a very good imperial stout but I was expecting a bit more complexity and I still have to say that I would drink Expedition over this any day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerNinja (137) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 14, 2006
Pours a deep blackish brown with faint reddish tan head. Nose is roasted dark malts and bitter dark chocolate. Flavor is thinner than expected, with thick chocolate notes and sweet malts with a crisp hop bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2006
This beer has a an aroma consisting of molasses, malt, coffee, anise, caramel, and a mild hint of smoke. It is a black solution with a thick caramel colored head. This thick smooth beer is rich and creamy. The taste is an infusion of coffee, molasses, and dark caramel. The dark caramel taste lingers well after swallowing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ghstride83 (4) - Hemet, California, USA - MAR 5, 2006 does not count
Is one of the darkest beers I have ever had. Full of dark robust flavor. Dark in color as well as taste. Can’t necessarily describe it’s taste. After taste is kinda harsh but that’s the way I like it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 5, 2006
After 43 rounds, I throw in the towel. I’m poured what seems to be an all too big helping of Stone Imperial Stout. I know I wanted the dark, heavy stouts at the beginning of the night. But, man, that was the beginning of the night. What I want now is a sack full of sliders. I sip at this one. On top of everything else it’s black licorice sweet and my stomach is letting me know its displeasure. But it’s so good. Still, I obey the warnings of my body (for once) and just put the glass down truly satisfied. Now if I can just get my ride home to stop for some Krystals.....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
patrick767 (3951) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 5, 2006
22oz bottle, early summer 2005 edition - Pours thick and deep, deep black, as is typical for the style. The aroma is all about roasted chocolate malts. The mouthfeel is wonderfully thick and full, coating your mouth with well balanced malts with notes of coffee, chocolate, and licorice. The finish reveals a bit more hoppiness and lingers pleasantly. This is a very fine beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
9er (87) - Maryland, USA - MAR 1, 2006
OMG!! This is another dayum good Russian Imperial Stout. This is the most well balanced stout I’ve tasted. THe palate is even from sip to swallow and the aftertaste mellows pretty on the tounge. It is slightly sweet and reminds me of rasins and maple. The texture is mild and not heavily carbonated.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
timmy300 (203) - bloomington, Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2006
2005 bottle without the "russian" on it.......you really have to chew through this amazing brew....starts out sweat almost milk chocolate, and fades into bitterness in the looooooong finish......after the first sip of this beer i almost didn’t want to finish it because then it would be gone......

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MarkBarnes (407) - Waterville, New York, USA - FEB 23, 2006
Feb. 23, 2006

No offense to the Russians, but what we’re looking at here is labeled as Stone Imperial Stout in a 22 oz. "bomber." ABV is listed on the bottle as a whopping 10.8%! The bottle bears the legend Limited Early Summer 2005 Release. No sign of this particular brand on the Stone roster, so I assume this is where it should be rated? Well, now that we’ve cleared that up . . .

"Motor oil" indeed. Try as I might, I couldn’t get any incandescent light to shine through my full glass! A remarkably heady aroma of chocolate, coffee and ripe dark fruit pulls no punches as to what awaits the taste buds. Extremely powerful without being too overwhelming, there is also -- not unexpectedly -- a strong alcohol presence. This stout is a monster -- as full-bodied as anything I’ve tried -- and definitely not for the faint of heart.

In summary, this is a first-rate concoction from a first-rate brewery. However, the elephantine nature of this beast makes it best held to only one or two encounters per year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chouffe (8) - New York, USA - FEB 16, 2006 does not count
UPDATED: MAY 11, 2007 First ... the pour. This beer is darker than any beer I have ever seen. Pours thick, motor oil consistency. The head...small & dense, is a reddish brown that I have never encountered before. Sweet aroma of dark fruits, roasted malts, raisins, and a complex array of smells...Flavors are similar, with an additional nutty, chocolate-malt taste that blends flawlessly together with a warming alcoholic finish that completes the package. Tastes are as rich & complex as I’ve experienced... I swear they change noticeably with every degree of temperature. The warmer it gets, the more complex it becomes. Gorgeous beer.