overall

RATINGS: 2777   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"Thereís no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because Iím one of íem and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" Thatís because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Saarlander (1685) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUN 28, 2004
A wonderful taste on the tongue, not overpowering alcohol taste, very chocolaty, Espresso like. Not as harsh as I expected, thats a plus, a very warming beer! I will be aging some. Long aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bohica (36) - British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 27, 2004
2004 Edition Thick black pour, smallish dark brown head which quickly dissipates. Huge malty aroma, you can definitely smell the alcohol. Sweet beginning which morphs into chocolate, espresso, and licorice. Alcohol burn on the way down. Flavors become even more intense as it warms. good mouthfeel, very dry finish. This one will definitely get better with age.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Padron4KM (531) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - JUN 26, 2004
Pours a thick black with a decent sized coffee brown head. minimal lacaing. Veiwed from above it took on an almost port-like apperance (dark with a clear layer on top) Aroma was dark fruit(prune,plum) coffee, liquorice, alcohol. flavor was rich, thick coffee (espresso) unsweetend chocolate, with a touch of bitter/sweetness in the finish. I hope there is still a bottle left at the store, because this is one for the cellar

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
sudsmeister (62) - Colorado, USA - JUN 25, 2004
I rated this brew earlier and found that I had mistakenly (hit the wrong button) given it an "overall" of 10. Sorry! It seems I could not edit my rating, so I am doing it over again. This inky dark, strong and exquisite brew deserves at least a 19! overall! Also, at least in Albuquerque, it is a GREAT value!! $3.99 for a bomber!!!!

atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - JUN 24, 2004
The 2004. Pours a thick heavy brown and settles to a oily black with a medium brown head. Looks great. The aroma is a great mixture of chocolate, coffee, and something Iíve never smelled before-- the aroma of a fresh baked cinnimon roll. Very unique. It has a sweet stout taste and is very smooth as it fills the palate. Coffee and chocolate flavors make their presense known but also noticable are a smokey flavor and currents. There is also a slight hint of alcohol. Very nice beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 24, 2004
Damn this is a good beer. Between this and the Ruination, Stone is quicly becoming one of my fav breweries. Now I just wish they were closer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpringsLicker (3046) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 23, 2004
Draught at Brewtopia í04 Pours black with a thin head. Rich chocolate aroma and smooth chocolate flavor. Roast malts are there, but not overpowering. Very well done Imp Stout, wish I could get this here in Tennessee.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3146) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - JUN 23, 2004
2004 22oz bomber-brandy snifter-shipped from whaleman-Alot of you guys on the site know what happend to me with my 03 RIS. The story is sad. This time, the Czar didnít beat me! Pours fairly standard IMP stout appearance-pitch black with a nice tightly carbonated brown head that didnít last very long, only around the rim of the sinfter. Some huge bubble eruptions going on. Sweet coffee and roasted aroma with a touch of that mystery Dark Lord scent that i could never pinpoint. Sweet chocolatey mouthfeal with lots of roasted notes. I got some good smokey notes on the finish, especially when it was colder. Alcohol is there and becomes a bit hot. could have been masked better. Definately a great IMP stout that has awesome aging potential. My only gripe is the hotness of the alcohol and with 1 year in the cellar, this may become another 5.0 rating. This time around, I dont have a scar on my leg, but definately one on my kidneys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jonwell (104) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - JUN 23, 2004
Iím always excited to get another year of this stuff... This one does differ a bit than last years, and Iíll go over that before I get to the rating. This years is dryer, a tad thinner, has a more pronounced roasted flavor, and finishes a bit dryer. More warming too, if I remember correctly. On we go. I have no nose for stouts, but I can get a good nose of roasted malt and a touch of alcohol. Pours like dirty motor oil with a dark brown, but very thin head. The flavor is quite full- lots of roasted malt, some coffee, pretty bitter and hoppy, but quite smooth. I remember it being a bit more complex, with more of a melon flavor, but this one may be a bit young for that. Still very tasty, but it could be better. Quite full mouthfeel, of course, and quite warming on the way down. A reward now as it always has been!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sancho (245) - Da Bronx, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2004 On tap brewtopia 04 , To me this was the " best in show", Midnight black with a Light brown head,slight coffee aftertaste,big thick mouthfeel,If only they sold this at the corner bodega,oh well,Gimme some moí.