overall

RATINGS: 3088   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"Thereís no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because Iím one of íem and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" Thatís because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 21, 2005
22 oz. Bottle. It pours pitch black with a brown head and lacing. Served a the right temperature it has an amazingly complex nose of roast, malt and a bit of smoke. The flavor is the same but with some warming alcohol notes to it. Very smooth and creamy texture. Great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tlitt2 (58) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - DEC 20, 2005
22 oz. bomber biatch. Very black, and awesome looking orangeish/ tan head. Very aromatic. Little coffee, a lot of licorice and some alcohol in aroma. Palate is surprising much thinner than expected. Not too sweet and raisiny, but seems nicely balanced in that regard. Licorice and prunes/ or raisins in flavor. Most drinkable imperial stout Iíve had yet. And one of the most p[owerful as well. Maybe Iím just over the initial flavor shock on my palate from bigger beers. Excellent beer. Iíd buy this beer just for the description and all the witty little messages on the bottle. Stone brewing kicks a lot of ace.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
jisaza (2) - New York City, New York, USA - DEC 17, 2005 does not count
Disgusting, from the beginning to end. The after taste was terrible too, I end up dumping it through the drain, I feel sorry for the pipes. No doubts that the person who said that, you will feel like drinking thick oil, was right.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pinkzambia (1803) - Boise, Idaho, USA - DEC 10, 2005
22 oz. Bottle: Thanks to Indiana_Red we enjoyed this at a small stout tasting. Thick, dark, murky black in color. Even the light canít penetrate this baby when held directly next to it. Rich aromas of roasted coffee are enjoyed as well as tastes of dark chocolate, black licorice, and sometimes, medicine. The feel is oily even though it is pretty thick.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jzzbassman (1567) - Arlington, Texas, USA - DEC 10, 2005
Thanks to Secret Santa dhlesq for this goodie from my wish list. Poured a dark black with a tan head that faded to an oily ring. Big wonderful aroma of coffee, alcohol, and smoke. Very rich and smooth, with an almost milky essence, very well balanced with the perfect amount of bitterness for a good finish. A truly great Imperial Stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
julrey (32) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 9, 2005
Bottled Summer 2005 Jesus. They really didnít fuck around with this one, did they? Pours black as the darkest of nights, like the deepest corner of hell during a power outage. Smells like alcohol, molasses, a hint of black licorice, alcohol, maybe some brown sugar, then more alcohol. Mouthfeel is not all that viscous, not too surprising given the amount of alcohol, but the flavors erupt on the taste buds, black coffee, brown sugar, molasses, and of course the alcohol is right up front, all around and dominates the finish. Very similar to the North Coast Old Stock I had a month or two ago. This was obviously intended to be aged at least a year but, this being my first go at this one, I couldnít bring myself to wait. Big mistake: after a couple of normal strength beers and a dopplebock this one really fucked me up but good. I think I ended up consuming three meals the next day before my stomach even started to cooperate with me, and the rest of my senses were similarly out of whack. I canít believe this shit is only available in bombers. The only real knock I have against this thing, actually. You really need someone to share this with unless itís going to be your only beer of the day. I imagine this would rate at least a 4.5 if not a 5 on taste given a little aging, but I have to grade based on what Iíve got in front of me, and fresh off the truck thereís just a bit too much alcohol drowning out the other tastes.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrBayern (1139) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - DEC 8, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2006 Early Summer 2005 bottling. I compared this side by side with GD Oak Aged Yeti. Itís a tough job, but someone has to do it. Black as coal without a ray of light penetrating. Big dark brown head that sticks to the side of the glass. Coffee, sweet roasted malt, and just a hint of something floral wafts up from the glass. Wonderfully smooth, rich and creamy. More coffee, dark chocolate, and licorice punctuated by notes of peppery spice and citrus. Pleasant dry finish, not overly bitter or astringent. Makes the oak much more obvious in the Yeti. The two are close, but I give the nod to the Stone for its nearly perfect balance and complexity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2007 Iíve had this beer many times and Iíve been holding off rating it. I want to give it an amazing rating, and I wanted to try a bunch of other ones to make sure that I didnít blow the scale. Having now tried a bunch, I have decided that I wonít. This is an amazing beer. It looks amazing; it has complex flavor and aroma and it feels wonderful in the mouth. Most other beers seem hardly worth drinking in comparison. I feel very happy to have a bunch in my closet, but I fear it will not be enough to get me through to next summer when the next batch is released.

black95tt (82) - Doylestown, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2005
This beer is the best bargain in Imperial Stouts. Very dark and rich. Dark brown milky head. Aroma is all about the roastiness.Very roasty flavors with hints of anise and west coast hops. Mouthfeel is very nice. This stout has quite a bitter finish, alcohol is only mildly present. Overall a damn good stout for the money.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 5, 2005
Thanks so much Beerandblues2 for sending this in a secret santa package. Much obliged. Dark opaque black, frothy mocha head. Oily and viscous looking. Milk chocolate dominates the nose, and is then followed by anise, mochachinos, roasted malts, and american hops. Milk chocolate taste, cocoa beans, roasted cofee, and bitter as all get out! Great! Awesome length, sweet roasty hops bitterness finish, but unfortunately, has some chalky astringency. Pretty damn good, just wish it was less dry on the finish. Thanks again Brad! IOU!