overall

RATINGS: 2854   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"Thereís no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because Iím one of íem and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" Thatís because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Ramones79 (13) - perryville, Missouri, USA - JUL 16, 2004
Thanks to Shag for this beer. What can I say, I love Stone! This is very thick and chewy. I taste alot of alcohol and chocolate in this beer. Its one to warm up with. Too bad its hot right now. I love stouts and porters and this one fits the bill. I said you owe me a beer Shag and you delivered! I may need to save a few of these

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Oh man! An intoxicating aroma of Chocolate, coffee, cherry, currant and malt. Rich flavors of coffee, chocolate, cherry, currant, wood and pepper. Thick, rich feel with a slightly crisp finish. One incredible brew!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 12, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2006 Iíll stick with my original score, but add some thoughts. The 2006 version doesnít seem to be nearly as hoppy and uses a pleathora of roasted malt instead. I donít think Iíd have enjoyed it as much this time around had it retained all of those piney/citric properties. Thereís still significant hop bitterness, it just doesnít seem to make itself as well known in the aroma and flavor profile. But damn, this is fine stuff. Major props to a west coast brewer who chose not to force-feed a beautifully malty Impy with off-key hops.

22 oz bottle, snifter. Caramel, chocolate, coffee, roasted malt (H); flower, spruce, and citrus hops (M); light alcohol, banana, prune, pear, port, cask wood, smoke, vanilla, pepper aromas. Average sized, creamy, dark head is well lasting and sits on a deep black body. Heavily sweet, moderately acidic, lightly bitter flavor becomes a moderately sweet, moderately acidic, moderately bitter finish. Full body, oily/creamy texture, lively carbonation. Astringent finish. The bottom line is: acidity and astringency will hopefully improve with time...if only I can keep from opening my other bottle!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 12, 2004
2004 Bomber tasted in a snifter. Iím writing this with a solemn tone. I have to. Appearance is well pulled espresso with a hint of brown to denote body. Espresso-like crema for a head, with lacing of same. The nose is muted power and the poverty-stricken pitch black of Siberian winter nights, along with prunes, molasses and whispers of whisky. The taste is the perfect balance of sweetness, strength, bite and warmth. THIS is what I thought this style could aspire to. My Lord, what a philtre.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (7729) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 7, 2004
2004 bomber, which was very hard to get my hands on. The pour was deep black, with a slight ruby component through direct light. Nice big brown head and lacing...perhaps the brownest head Iíve seen. Definite 4-5 for appearance. HUGE aroma of coffee, chocolate, black currants, malt, black licorice, slight smoke, cabernet, cinnamon, and definite alcohol. Super complex aroma. Definite 10. Anyone giving this less than 9 for aroma needs to have olfactory surgery. Tastes of malt, big coffee, dark chocolate, black licorice, currants, hops, with a roasty, slightly creamy, alcoholic finish (There is definite alcohol in the finish. I suspect that Stone wanted it that way...sort of saying, "Weíre not going to completely hide the alcohol. If you donít like some alcohol taste, then take it up with the gargoyle, punks, and proudly drink some pale yellow beer that might give you more sex appeal with sluts, or drink beer with stupid labels that might as well say, "I have a very small penis and an even smaller brain""). This beer is complex, dense, firm, alcoholic, and delicious. I suspect that some raters are low-balling this one to try to be controversial and make themselves stand out. Anyone giving this less than at least 4.0 has just lost all credibility with me.

davidflores99 (225) - Long Beach, California, USA - JUL 7, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2004 The more I drank this, the more I love it! I had to re-rate this brew, definitley Great!!

turbo (1271) - Arizona, USA - JUL 7, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2004 AWSOME!! nothing else can be said. rich sweet roastystrong aroma. dark head thick body,,,this is great!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EventHorizon (7) - Detroit, Michigan, USA - JUL 7, 2004 does not count
.. umm... WOW!!! Definitely should have posted this earlier, but not really necessary. This beer is solid. Period. Enjoy it while we can.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cstuartj (954) - Washington, USA - JUL 6, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2009 What can I say that hasnít been said. This is one of my top 3 personal beers. I stock up every year when it comes out but I never seemt to get enough for me let alone all my buddies that want it when it runs out at the stores. Damn this brew is Great!

dhblane (6) - USA - JUL 4, 2004 does not count
This is one big mother of a beer!! Just like it says, poured like Siberian Crude in the middle of a Russian Winter!! This beer created a Black hole in my Stone IRS glass, with a creamy 2.5 finger head that dissipated at a moderate rate. Smell is dark chocolate, black currants, anise and moderate alcohol. Taste is built around a big malty backbone, with prunes, raisins, espresso and finally a warming alcohol bite, then finishes mildly acidic. This taste lingers oh so pleasingly on the palate. This is a true "Sippin" beer that is to be enjoyed much like a fine after dinner Cognac. It took me well over an hour and a half to finish one of these 22oz Bombers! The 10.8% is somewhat hidden, but will rise up and let you feel itís presence well before you finish one of these. I am cellaring a case for this winter and maybe more!!! I cannot imagine a better IRS than what Stone has turned out this season, and at $3.99 a bottle, it is a complete steal. I am, not worthy!!