RATINGS: 3027   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - APR 8, 2005
dark, roasty, chocolate, coffee. Terrific. Nice thick dark head, awesome aroma, and terrific taste. This si just a damn good beer. I think I like bell’s Expedition a bit better, but this is up there for sure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - APR 5, 2005
I’ve been dyin for some of this stuff, thanks to Eyedrinkale for bringin some to Radekfest...by the time we were drinkin this, I was pretty wrecked but as I remember it was like most impy’s only drier and less creamy texture, good for sure, but I’ll need to rate this against a Bells expedition to know where it really stands.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - APR 4, 2005
Late Spring 2003 release. Poured dark as anything black with a medium head. Great aroma, toffee, chocolate, coffee, cherry, licorice, roasted malts ... First sip ... Wow! I knew right away I’d have to look hard for faults. Full and thick, chewy mouthfeel. Flavor of toffee, chocolate covered cherries, some licorice, some other dark fruits thrown in, and surprisingly, the coffee was in the background. There was some slight hops bitterness, but again, in the background. As it warmed it became a little sweet, maybe a little too sweet (there I go, looking for the faults) with the chocolate and toffee. Throughout the entire glass, it has a slight alcohol bite (slight, considering the 10.8%). It finishes sweet and with a little tingle at the back of the throat from the alcohol.

This is getting wordy ... what can I say, it’s a great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
iam (369) - Mississauga, Ontario, CANADA - APR 3, 2005
Pours an opaque black colour with a medium head.Burnt malt and coffee and dark chocolate aroma. Some eathy tones present. Thick body. Taste ,again, is burnt malt, datk chocolate and an almost espresso like coffee finish. Nice bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 13, 2005 I rated this sitting at the bar next to my good friend Slade at The Flying Saucer in Memphis (while skipping class, of course). One of the best brews I’ve had. Aroma and flavor is malty/chocolate. There is a most definite alcohol aroma and flavor. Great overall. Plenty of alcohol in this 22 oz. bottle. I had to take a break before I rated some others.

SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - MAR 22, 2005
I have reached the pinnacle of the beer world and it is good. Do I dare continue to search for a superior brew?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
buzzard (3) - wyano, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 20, 2005 does not count
2004 bottle. Pours black with a large tan head. Looks inviting. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, roasty, smoke and licorice. Loved the smell. Flavors of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, alcohol. Mouthfeel is full bodied and slightly sticky with a nice tingle in the finish from the alcohol. Really enjoyed this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Maxamillion (103) - Glendora, California, USA - MAR 8, 2005
Bottle. Jet black with darker tan head. Aroma: Coffee roast, raisins. First sip was really good!! nice and full bodied with chocolate and coffee flavour. Hides the alcohol pretty well until the end when you get a nice warm feeling afterward. One of the better really heavy darker brews i’ve had. Its sweet without being overly sweet. A good beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 4, 2005
A Huge beer by any standard. Wonderful Dark chocalate and fruit nose with a very appetizing roasted malt body blanced with just the perfect amount of hop bitterness that accentuates and plays with the malt bomb of a mid palate. simply wonderful Stones best in a very good lineup.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DragonStout (1408) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - FEB 23, 2005
Thanx to Belgianhomebrew.Holy crap this stuff is awesome.I am rating the late spring 02 bottle.A dark beer like it is supposed to be.Aromas of coffee and burntness and possibly a hint of fruit.Tastes of coffee and burnt malt.This was afantastic ride.From beginning to end.I now need more.