overall

RATINGS: 2911   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SpringsLicker (3164) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 23, 2004
Draught at Brewtopia ’04 Pours black with a thin head. Rich chocolate aroma and smooth chocolate flavor. Roast malts are there, but not overpowering. Very well done Imp Stout, wish I could get this here in Tennessee.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Terminus (3272) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - JUN 23, 2004
2004 22oz bomber-brandy snifter-shipped from whaleman-Alot of you guys on the site know what happend to me with my 03 RIS. The story is sad. This time, the Czar didn’t beat me! Pours fairly standard IMP stout appearance-pitch black with a nice tightly carbonated brown head that didn’t last very long, only around the rim of the sinfter. Some huge bubble eruptions going on. Sweet coffee and roasted aroma with a touch of that mystery Dark Lord scent that i could never pinpoint. Sweet chocolatey mouthfeal with lots of roasted notes. I got some good smokey notes on the finish, especially when it was colder. Alcohol is there and becomes a bit hot. could have been masked better. Definately a great IMP stout that has awesome aging potential. My only gripe is the hotness of the alcohol and with 1 year in the cellar, this may become another 5.0 rating. This time around, I dont have a scar on my leg, but definately one on my kidneys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jonwell (104) - Huntington Beach, California, USA - JUN 23, 2004
I’m always excited to get another year of this stuff... This one does differ a bit than last years, and I’ll go over that before I get to the rating. This years is dryer, a tad thinner, has a more pronounced roasted flavor, and finishes a bit dryer. More warming too, if I remember correctly. On we go. I have no nose for stouts, but I can get a good nose of roasted malt and a touch of alcohol. Pours like dirty motor oil with a dark brown, but very thin head. The flavor is quite full- lots of roasted malt, some coffee, pretty bitter and hoppy, but quite smooth. I remember it being a bit more complex, with more of a melon flavor, but this one may be a bit young for that. Still very tasty, but it could be better. Quite full mouthfeel, of course, and quite warming on the way down. A reward now as it always has been!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Sancho (245) - Da Bronx, New York, USA - JUN 21, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2004 On tap brewtopia 04 , To me this was the " best in show", Midnight black with a Light brown head,slight coffee aftertaste,big thick mouthfeel,If only they sold this at the corner bodega,oh well,Gimme some mo’.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Brewtopia’04. Wow! Finally. Black. Monstrous and chewy. Smooth but biting like a big cabernet. Coffee and burnt cocoa on nose. Not at all fruity to me. Unctuous. Surprising bitterness and astringency, then again, it is a Stone beer. Not up to the hype, but still fabulous.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - JUN 18, 2004
Pours a deep BLACK with a brown head. Aroma is very roasty with dark fruit. Taste is very sweet with a ton of hops, coffee, roasted malt, dark fruit, licorice and chocolate. Tart and mildly bitter.Very complex and extremely tasty. Mouthfeel is very full, round and creamy. Has a slight alcohol burn on the way down. Great brew, I’m glad I reserved two in advance.

brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - JUN 16, 2004
2003 bomber served in a snifter. Wow! Apperarance is pitch black with some bubbles clinging on the side of the glass. The smell is of beautiful smoked malt. The taste only seem a little astringent at first but comes together when it is warmed up. The raisin, chocolate and malt are PERFECTLY balanced in this brew. The best thing is that it is still easily drinkable at 9.47%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 15, 2004
imperial stout tasting, march 04: black, tan head. roatsy and chocolatey aroma with some boozy raisins and red liquorice. very thick and roasty. bitter chocolate and coffee flavours are most of what I get with the raisins and liquorice from the aroma very much inthe background. still quite nice, but not my favourite from this tasting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BarleyWino (3) - California, USA - JUN 15, 2004 does not count
2004 version, bottle. Less complex than last year’s version, but even better overall! Aftertaste of soy sauce, of all things--and would you believe it works! Alcohol a strong note--not surprising at 10.8% ABV. Some coffee and red wine notes, but overall the flavor is dominated by hops and the aforementioned soy sauce flavor. Malty nose; more hops than I remember from last year. Another tremendous Stone offering. Kudos!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2342) - Buffalo, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2004
On tap at the Old Toad, 5/28/04. Salty soy sauce aroma. Bittersweet body with a nice tart finish. Blacker than the local goth club. This stuff kicks ass, but I don’t know if I could deal with more than a small glass.