overall

RATINGS: 2864   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"Thereís no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because Iím one of íem and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" Thatís because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - JUN 28, 2003
black as night, ominous thundercloud like head, aroma of coffee , nuts, fruit and deep malt. taste is sweet malty with a heavy coffee laced bitterness. very rinkable for beer of its magnitude.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - JUN 26, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 2, 2009 2003This is probably the darkest looking stout Iíve had. First scent to hit my nose as I uncapped this 22oz bottle was cocoa and espresso. Reminded me of an espresso gelato I once had. Very enticing aromas, from a deep black brew with a thin head resting atop. Chocolate, espresso, intensely roasted malts and hints of alcohol and yeast. Velvety smooth stout, extremely smooth and approachable with a slight dryness at the end. Superbly balanced and pure decadence. This is the best product Iíve had from Stone brewery. I drank this bottle at approx. 65 degrees.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Smacky (71) - San Clemente, California, USA - JUN 24, 2003
The 2002 was my latest. Viscous, ebon liquid with a great, complex nose and taste. Burnt toast, coffee, cocoa, malt, shale, mineral, leather, and very subtle hop flavors. Incredibly smooth despite the malt/alcohol content. One could get lost just in the aromas, but the taste is so rich and full that it feels like a mouthful of stout nearly 30 seconds after you've swallowed. This is definitely one of my top 25 beers of all time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - JUN 23, 2003
man is this stuff good. Great stout smell, with coffee, malt, and choclate aromas. And the falvor is the same. Deep black color and a clean finish. A wonderful dessert beer. And now tied for my favorite imperial stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - JUN 22, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2003 2003 release. Pours very very black, with a decent amount of dark tan head that rapidly dissapates. Tiny bit of chocolate, some coffee and lots of roasted malt in the flavor, with just a touch of hops coming through. Pretty big alcohol burn. A nice special occasion beer, in my opinion, but not something I would drink every week, like an Old Rasputin. Small Re-rate 08/24...I think I didn't let it warm enough last time, this beer gets much more interesting the closer it gets to room temp.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JUN 21, 2003
Bottle: Roasted chocolate nose. Black. Medium brown head. Very nice mouthfeel. Big and round. Taste of chocolate, roastiness and alcohol. Huge, assertive, an excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - JUN 20, 2003
2003 release from the tap. Everything about this beer is black. Black color, roasted, coffee, chocolate, etc.. Drink this in a dark alley. Sweet fruity malt, alot of character. It doesn't attack the mouth, soft and tasty. This beer blackens the soul but warms the heart.

MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUN 18, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2007 Spring 03 release: Complete and totally black. Licorice, coffee, and a slight roastiness and alcohol aroma. Not much head or lacing going on in my glass. Lots of wonderful maltiness and I like to let it linger in my mouth for awhile. The finish is a combo of malt sweet and hoppy bitterness (my only complaint would be not enough bitter). Really comes alive once it warms up a bit. I have not yet reached uber beer geek status, but in my humble opinion this imperial stout is the shit. I canít wait to buy some more. EDIT: I rated this one a couple of weeks ago and I feel I have to tell you that I canít stop drinking the stuff. Iím going to go broke at $5 a bottle and the local liquor store only lets me buy two at a time. This is truly a wonderful beer.

RE-RATE: Iíve had every release since the original rating. My palate has done nothing but improve and I still come back each year and find this to be one of the most delightfull experiences. This is truly a world class beer and no amount of sampling has changed my mind. Iíve increased the rating from the original 4.5

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (5614) - Garching b. MŁnchen, GERMANY - JUN 14, 2003
Aroma: Coffee, burned sourdough bread, slight lactic acidity and a slight earthy smell. Color like a black hole. Acidic tastenotes: Coffee, strawberries (with some dirt clinging on them). Medium bodied, alcohol does not show. Rounds of ok, but somehow something is missing... I guess it misses the last velvety touch.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - JUN 13, 2003
Had on tap at Callahan's on Wednesday, June 11th, 2003
Oddly enough, it's taken me this long to rate this beer that's available all over the place here in San Diego. This amazingly complex beer has a small, slightly tan head with a pitch black coloring. The lacing is quite good and lasts from start to finish. The flavors jump out of the pint glass and just drag you in - from coffee to chocolate to a sweet berry flavor. While the alcohol level isn't masked as well as other stouts I've tried, they do a good job and the beer is extremely drinkable. I'm still a sucker for the Double Bastard, but this Imperial Stout is a great beer and a fine Stone offering.