overall

RATINGS: 2886   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.19   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 9, 2002
A wonderful concoction. A taste that lingers longer than Marlon Brando’s career. Alcohol will show you it means business, but could be hidden better. Not my favorite, but I might try it again sometime. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something. Nevertheless, very tasty.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rich42 (128) - USA - JUL 5, 2002
they don’t get any stouter than this. very strong, nose and flavors of chocolate, licorice and alchohol. bitter - but more in the roasted bitter-sweet sense than supper hoppy. exceptionally rich and deep. fairly thick - but the alchohol thins it just a little. being from Stone I expected this to be a ’pallate destroyer’ - but all considering it’s quite drinkable - assuming you take it slow. I’m 2/3rds way through a 22oz bottle and it’s really ’kicking in’ - will send Guinness fans crying for mommy. wowsers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
joet (2177) - Santa Rosa, California, USA - JUL 3, 2002
Black as coal with a rich, milky tan foam and a slightly hoppy, malty and cocoa with trace bits of anise in a nose that grows like Pinocchio’s as it warms. Feels very rich and then finishes remarkably clean. Refreshingly, I’m finding nothing worty or bready. Tastes sweet with hints of bubblegum and some fruity esters but my tongue is telling me this is remarkably dry. The alcohol is mostly background and is instrumental in making the finish so clean.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SkinFlick99 (1) - USA - JUL 3, 2002 does not count

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Update: No change to ratings, but I tried a bottle out of the stash. Ridiculous!! It’s so freakin’ good. I can taste the alcohol quite clearly this time around, but it doesn’t degrade the taste in the slightest, it only enhances it. Genius!! Original rating: My new fave. Tan head, utterly opaque black color. Complex smell: Alcohol, sweetness, a tad bit of fruitiness? The alcohol didn’t come out in the taste for me at all, very smooth for the alcohol content. The balance of roasted coffee and sweetness is absolutely perfect in all ways. This is the closest to perfection I have ever tasted. I just got home from San Diego with nine bottles and my only regret is that I didn’t bring more!

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2004 Release 2004:

The beer after defection from the 22-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass as black as a starless night with the head modest and frothy in size, the color that of rich chocolate, the lace a thin and clinging sheet to the glass. Nose has a deep roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate aroma, toasted grains and a sugary sweetness, the start is rich in malt, sweet with the top as full as they get. Finish has a benign acidity, the hops majestic in their spiciness, quite dry and long lingering aftertaste and a noticeable belly warming, another great release of this magnificent beer, and to think at one time I thought it to strong; your palate does change over the years

Release 2003: The beer as it sets in my 30 plus year old “Chimay Chalice”, is as black as they come, the head is prodigious in size, a beauteous chocolate brown color and spumous in texture as it evaporates in the blink of an eye, the resultant lace forms a “Victoria Secrets” like sheet of lace “See-through” got to love that? Nose is dominated by the toasted grain aroma, backed up by the coffee, chocolate, and a fresh and pleasing crispness I find so appealing. Start is ambrosial, thickly malted with the top as thick as the “Ice” in Maine Today! Briskly acidic, hops spanking in their spiciness and the aftertaste desert bleached bone dry, and my most highly ranked Imperial, and one of my most favorite Stone Brewing Creations, which is a tie with the rest of their beers, except for that Levitation stuff, just kidding “Arrogant Nipple”, I mean Greg!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
legion242 (2201) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2002
Black-orange red at the edges. Head was khaki- medium density but quickly turned still. Nose was each of the following: mocha, velvet, slight alcohol presence. Thick mouthfeel. Warming down the throat. Sweet and burnt- tiny bit of smoke. Finally a beer my wife wouldn’t share with me!!!!!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JUN 18, 2002
A beer well worth the anticipation. Malty and roasted aromas and flavor very well balanced. Got to find some more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JUN 17, 2002
This beer is definitelt worth all the hype. Great roasted flavor and aroma. Balanced very nicely. SHould age quite well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JUN 15, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2004 Overrated. It's ok but not all that. Don't try this beer because of the hype, just try it because you want to try a new beer and rate it accordingly.