overall

RATINGS: 3550   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ughsmash (7245) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 20, 2005
Ah... as this warms, the hops really come out to play. Pour was a clear golden color with just a little head. Nice intricate lacing as it went down. Aroma is of grapefruit and pine forest with just a little sweetness under there. Flavor mimics the aroma quite well. There was sufficient malt presence to hold the super-hops in check. Finish was piney and a bit bitter. This was just powerfully good on all fronts. Get some!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TURDFERGUSON (4003) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 19, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2006 cant wait to visit the brewery, amazing stuff, this is definately a staple, very burley, not your average ipa. buy this today

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
presario (4750) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 16, 2005
A citrus bouquet of scents rises from a crisp gold beer. Texture is slightly oily. Flavour is hops all the way and the malt is strong enough to balance them. The slick texture cries out for some spicy food for compliment.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
barleyPops (1141) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JUL 16, 2005
bomber bottle from Eric ( Heemer77 ). color is a bit paler than I expected but the appearance is of a hazy honey color andl has that nice foamy, rocky head. initial aroma is of grapefruit zest. to me this is a great example of a beer with high hops that is in perfect balance with the malts. If I had sampled an IPA like this several months ago, I would have understood much sooner what it means to be a HOPHEAD! Thanks Eric.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
LJBrewing (22) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 15, 2005
This is a good american IPA. The aroma is very nice and I love the orange-tint to color. It just looks like it will taste good. A funny thing on my first bottle, I could have sworn a slight diacetyl flavor(butterscotch) in the background. I tried the second bottle (which is what I am rating today) and it was not there?? Maybe a faulty batch on the first one? Otherwise this is a good IPA from Stone who usually mucks up beers with bravado and stupidity (see ruination and arrogant bastard ales)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TomDecapolis (4590) - Milton, Delaware, USA - JUL 15, 2005
Poured a golden amber with a foamy off white head that laced the glass. Grapefruit and floral aromas. Very hoppy. The taste is somewhat smooth at first with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Not as good as some other IPA’s I’ved had (ie Victory HopDevil) but still very solid. Would prefer a little less bite at the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
fordest (2014) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - JUL 14, 2005
This was the first IPA I had ever had. Since then, I have had great ones and not so great ones, but I always remember that time I was trying to keep up with the guy next to me while he was drinking 10 cans of Tecate, I was quite done by the time I got to my 5th Stone IPA. Today, I appreciated the beer much more than that. Great stuff

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JUL 13, 2005
12 oz. bottle. Thanks to DUANE, the best trader here! Poured a golden amber with an immediate grapefruit hop nose. Huge foamy white head. The nose is citrus and grass and just from the nose, my mouth is puckering and watering. That is stick with hops. Wow. This is hops, front to back. The front is sweet and grassy, then I get pineapple and grapefruit. The sweet sticky hops then move to the back with a smooth balance for so many IBU’s. This is fantastic. Duane, am I a hop head yet????

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
IrishRed1983 (33) - USA - JUL 13, 2005
Beautiful appearance. Clear and golden with a distinct hop aroma. The taste is a good mix of sweet malt and bitter hop. The hop aftertaste doesn’t attack the throat and is certainly not overpowering.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
intheric (20) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 8, 2005
Holy crap, why have I been drinkking anything else? Gret deep rich malt flabor nicely balanced and refresed by a good deal of hops. Nice white foamy head. Good amount of bitterness, but still very drinkable.