overall

RATINGS: 3573   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Texans0743 (5) - Sugar Land, Texas, USA - APR 6, 2005 does not count
Oh yeah.. this is one hoppy beer. Cool and refreshing the whole time. Not much of a bite though, which I love. The aftertaste is bittersweet, rich with hops. Itís almost a perfumy taste at the very end. Very unusual, but good. Not something I would drink too much of in one sitting, a little too rich for my blood.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayduke (3563) - Eureka, California, USA - APR 5, 2005
22 oz bottle. I am am an IPA fanatic, and have waited quite a while to get my hands on a bottle of this stuff, and finally found a bottle in Nevada City, CA. I donít have a bottle of Lagunitas Maximus or Lost Coast Indica (my two favorites) to compare this to, but here goes anyway. Pours a nice copper color, with good slighltly off-white head. Nice clean malts with killer hops is what I taste. Smooth on the tongue, and with a great overall flavor and balance. This I think sets the standard for an IPA. The overall feeling is perfect balance. I may have trouble getting this brew in Eureka, so I may have to settle for the aforementioned wannabees, but this is the best of breed in my opinion. I will ask my local COOP to import it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
lordwunjo (46) - California, USA - APR 4, 2005
HOPS!! This beer is full of it, the flavor of the hops is almost overwhelming, but very tasty. Donít drink too much or youíll be sorry!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - APR 3, 2005
Hops galore! What can I say that hasnít already been said about this? It was a great IPA...I canít think of one that Iíve had that is better, honestly. Next in line would be Pyramid IPA, but itís hard to beat this one. If youíre a hophead then you have to give this brew a try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
can8ianben (1387) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 3, 2005
A nice white head on top of a great golden copper colour. Spend some time taking in the hoppy-sweet aroma that comes off the pour. It has a sweet almost maple taste which blends itself well with the strong bitter hop flavour and rich malty background. This is a beer to be enjoyed!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Tejas (909) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 2, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2007 Love the puffy lasting white head. Maltier flavor than I was expecting, still well balanced though. Drinkable and smooth. Great every day drinker for the hop head. Certainly a respectable IPA but not worthy of a 99, imo.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
neocon (34) - Gold Canyon, Arizona, USA - APR 1, 2005
Hops Hops Hops. Lots of aroma and well mantained flavor. Nice amber color with great lacing. Youíre gonna like this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
RAYBOY01 (2012) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2005
Bitter hops dominate this beer in almost every catagory. I like a better balance of malt/hops in general. This balance between sweet and bitter is one of the basic ingredients in the delicate interplay or complexity in a fine beer. This comes up a little short in my judgement on most levels...However...I still enjoyed the hell out of this stuff and would certainly try it again, and I look forward to trying this brewerís other offerings.

ABUSEDGOAT (2416) - California, USA - MAR 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2012 Amber colored, moderate head, decent lacing and retention. Beautiful fruity nose, one of the fruitiest IPA aromas Iíve ever smelled. Pale malts, a touch of caramel, and a big fruity flavor with a lasting bitter finish. Best ímass producedí IPA there is imo.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
brocker (99) - Salina, Utah, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Chock full of hops. Strong hop/floral aroma. I have never been a fan of I.P.A.ís Too bitter for my taste. Personally, this stuff made me choke. It looks really inviting., but it tastes bad. A good friend of mine who is an I.P.A. drinker thinks this stuff is great. So, there you go. Donít listen to me.