overall

RATINGS: 3519   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and youíll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beerís crisp and refreshing bitter character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chriso (7428) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2008 Iíd been led to believe that this is the benchmark IPA, and itís easy to see why. The hop attack is huge. It has all that resin, oiliness, pine, grapefruit, flowery character and all the rest you expect. Itís big, bold and brassy. As upfront as they come. But, despite all that, I didnít find it too aggressive. In fact, I found it a quite smooth drop. OK, its quite straightforward and maybe a touch one-dimensional, but I found it very appealing. Bottle, at the Brickskeller, Washington DC.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Delicious hop flavour in this IPA, as you would expect for this style. nice color, nice head. Very clean tasting, almost medicinal with all of those hop oils coming through very strongly. good, but not my favorite for this style. not quite sweet enough to balance, and not quite enough character to make it one of my favorite IPAs. I think this beer would benefit greatly with about 5-10% more crystal malt (or other similar unfermentable 40L range) added to the grist, but thatís just my personal perferance. very delicious. very drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
elektrogeist (158) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Intensely hopped but not in a bad way, this is some heavy duty IPA right here-and I usually donít like IPA. As a bonus the intensity of this brew puts you under enough for surgery after 1 or 2 12 ounce bottles. And as always, make sure itís been kept refrigerated since itís nice and unpasteurized.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
badgerben (4510) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Orange color with little head. Very hoppy aroma. More in the taste... umm... yeah, there are hops in the beer. Not much else. A little on the disappointing side.

civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - DEC 27, 2004
The cascade hops hit you and hit you hard, and the beer has a crisp, dry flavor that is full of hops and not much else. Refreshing but not very well balanced. I expected more for the hype.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 24, 2004
Man, my palate must be getting jaded. I finally tracked this one down on the East Coast, and thought it was merely very solid. It isnít particularly distinctive, just an excellent representative of the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Amber Coloring with Big White Head. Huge Hoppy Bite With a Warming That Lights you up For Christmas! Amazingly, Not Very Dry... Crisp... Alcohol Very Noticeable for 6.9%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
methtlcai (10) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 21, 2004
this one surprised me....for an IPA, it was very citrusy and floral, and reminded me of wheat beer, not an IPA....for the true hop heads out there, try Arrogant Bastard ale from Stone, it is truly a bitter treat, but this offering seemed to be more sweet and fruity than what I expect from an IPA

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 19, 2004
Near clear light amber with decent carbonation and a thin but determined white head. Mild caramel and floral hop aroma. Good body and mouth feel with a balanced bitterness. Round, smooth flavor of a little malt, a little caramel, and a lot of hops. Quite good, although this particular bottle seems a little old.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - DEC 18, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2005 After suffering through the hell that was Arrogant Bastard, I was leary of trying this. But, since my credo of "Iíll try anything once" invaded my decision making, I decided to sample it. Iím glad I did. Aroma is like a piece of bubblegum filled with orange and grapefruit. This is a very drinkable brew. Nice, subtle sweetness with a sour grapefruit/orange finish. This is a fantastic brew; Iíll be buying more of these in the future.