overall

RATINGS: 3553   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Foxbush (1408) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - OCT 27, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2007 I love IPAs, but this version was one of the worst I have had. There was no head formation. The color was cloudy amber. Something is wrong with this bottle. The IPA was thin with strong hoppiness. This must have been a bad batch. Joss on 11/27 also had a similiar experience. I will try this IPA again. It has received such great reviews. My next bottle was consumed on 5/23/06. This was excellent. Very balanced and highly citrus flavored beer. The beer poured to overflowing the glass with the head. The grapefruit aroma and taste were present throughtout. This was one of the better IPA this year. I am rerating based on this bottle. I enjoyed an excellent draught from The Capital Ale House on 2/10/07. It was a well balanced IPA that I wish had purchased a larger glass.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
biznizness (1121) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 27, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2005 This is the first in a series of beers that I SWEAR I thought I rated already but I guess I didnít. I had this on tap on Ginger Manís in NYC. This beer was hoppy and delicious... great aroma... all the right moves. But it didnít quite satisfy when I got it home, in the form of a pretty thin and empty finish. Dying to try the Ruination.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jonas (5984) - Garching b. MŁnchen, GERMANY - OCT 27, 2004
Bottle Grassy and piney hop aroma. Amber, low carbonation, lowish head. Hop base, malt still detectable, but the balance is evident. Medium to light body, sparkly mouthfeel. Bitterhop aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerandsteak (12) - Syracuse, New York, USA - OCT 25, 2004
Dark, golden, pours with a nice head. Viciously good. One of the most satisfying IPAís Iíve head yet. The bitterness makes this beer. Stone does another great job of punishing the palate with an excellent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bclasen (17) - USA - OCT 24, 2004
Nice golden body - great, creamy head, long lasting. Nice hoppy flavor - with a bit of sweetnest with the bitter. Iím an east coast guy and on a trip to LA I finally tastaed one - now I know what the hype is about. Great smell - I could live off of this one. However, does it beat my local favorite, Dogfish Head 60? Hmmm, Iíd love to get to the bottom of that question, unfortunately I probably wonít get a change to put the two next to each other soon.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rentalman (103) - British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 24, 2004
(Draft) Golden amber color with a nice white head. Flowery citrus Hop aroma with a bit grainy sweetness. Wow there is a beautiful hops explosion that is fantastically aromatic and citrus that mellows to a bitterness on the finish. Delicious

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Tight head and froth. Gorgeous. Tiny bubbles that just sit in the brew act like a scrim--have never seen anything like that. Orange-red color. Floral aroma. Easily one of my favorite IPAs. Loved its purity claims and entertaining definitions on the bottle. Love the Californian Gargoyle on the bottle. (I was in a NYC deli and saw this as a single bottle in another random six-pack. I brought this and three other high-end beers to the counter. The new clerk asked is boss.. how much for this such and such cider? "Ah um," says the busy manager, "$1.75". The clerk rings up each bottle as $1.75. I pay my seven dollars and RUN.)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1796) - Bakersfield, California, USA - OCT 20, 2004
murky golden/orange color with an average head.smells of oranges and flowers.the taste is hops and a bit of grapefruit.very much like the ruination but a bit smoother.this is a very nice ipa.especially at 3.10 for a duce duce.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Pours a beautiful dark orange with a big, light tan had. Big floral hop aroma. Taste is of hoppy bitterness, which lingers, but this is balanced enough to be very refreshing. A treat that is readily available and reasonably priced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - OCT 19, 2004
Orange golden beer, thick foamy off-white head. Nice bitter hoppy and flowery aroma. Mild and fresh with toffee tones in the background. Hops is dominating in the flavor that has a nice sweet middle. Very well balanced bitterness. A soft and smooth beer that I could drink again and again......