overall

RATINGS: 3742   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - SEP 22, 2005
Sampled at the monthly meeting of the Champaign-Urbana beer club along with a few other tasty IPAs. Thanks to Andy (or Noah?) for bringing it. Its a decent IPA but nothing to rave about imo. A reasonable hop bite with some malt backbone. Some notes of lemon and orange peel blend in with a bit of grass/straw. The amount of carbonation distracted. This didn’t used to be the case, but these days I’d drink Ruination over this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mnurda (1233) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - SEP 20, 2005
Had this in the bottle in Anaheim. TAsted great with curried chicken from Whole Foods. Too bad I can’t get this beer where I live.

peterdi (1) - Mill Valley, California, USA - SEP 18, 2005 does not count
I was intimated by the postings of the lofty critiques: “fresh”, “citrus”, “solid”, “slightly richer for my taste but that is a very small qualm”. The Stone IPA is simply better than I can make and better than any I have tasted in the USA, Europe and Asia.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bethmatt0421 (337) - Covington, Kentucky, USA - SEP 17, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2008 An amazing citrusy, floral aroma. Taste is the same, with big beer hoppy bitterness. On the verge of becoming unrestrained. I look at my empty sixer and i feel sadness. Stone delivers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lusitania (10) - Texas, USA - SEP 16, 2005
Wonderfully unique flavor. Smelled and looked wonderful. Solid white head. Flavor may be too complex for some tastes, very floral, as I previously stated very unique. Previous beer appreciation required. High alcohol content - Crunk Juice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jahughey (65) - Franklin, Indiana, USA - SEP 15, 2005
Fantastic. Dry-hopping gives incredibly fresh, floral/citrus aroma, one of the more pleasant IPA aromas around. Light malt foundation could be be slightly richer for my taste, but that is a very small qualm. Hop bitterness, flavor and aroma are all outstanding. Extremely clean character - killer IPA.

LtJudge (468) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 15, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 17, 2005 Poured a light amber color with a small head.Big hop/malty aroma.First sip,WOW!Wonderful fresh,crisp hop flavor with a hint of malt and a great bitter aftertaste.I wish I could get this by me all the time!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
weisinator (67) - USA - SEP 15, 2005
Tastebuds got smacked up by this one. It was a bit too bitter for me, and I seriously didn’t realize this was 6.9% ABV when I had it off the tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
buddahmind (39) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 13, 2005
She a beauty! On tap @ Bardenay Boise for ever! Maybe. Maybe not. Any way the sales don’t lie. When this beer is on the rotating IPA handle it sells twice as fast as Bridgeport, Full Sail, Lagunitas, Elysian, Fishtale or Hale’s. Stone rules and if you don’t agree u r in the minority. By the way....Great IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - SEP 3, 2005
Very tall whitish head which faded quickly into a slight lace. This IPA smells hoppy and candy sweet, nothing more or less. The color is perfectly clear yellowish copper, very pretty in the glass. The taste is initially sweet, with grapefruit-like bitterness afterwards. The taste is clean, with nothing bad lingering on the palate, and it isn’t overly carbonated either. However, it just isn’t as hoppy or bitter as I had hoped. I miss that, to be honest. To me this has more sweet, caramel- or yeast-like notes in it, with the hops following at the end. Don’t get me wrong, though. I like this one and I WILL buy it again!