overall

RATINGS: 3619   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - JAN 28, 2005
12 oz bottle. 51.5į. NB Worthy glass. Golden, hazy orange with a 1/2" off white head. The aroma is hitting me and I am a foot away from the glass. Aroma of sweet citrus, almost a ruby red grapfruit/orange salad with honey on top. The smell is realy sweet, almost like peach jam. The flavor is sweet fruit (orange, peach) that shows some hops character, but not overly so. This is a really well balanced beer! The finish is semi-dry -> dry, with a ton of citrus fruit. The mouthfeel is pretty nice, but not spectacular. I was expecting a hop monster and was pleasantly suprised. I wish I could have this as an everyday beer. Big thanks to Clark VV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 27, 2005
an aroma I grow to appreciate more and more every day: Cascades! PLUS some interesting peach, marmelade, and bread notes; full-on, open-handed, in the face, hop-wollup (as opposed to brass-knuckled Ruination).....serious malty base to tip the scales; quality brew, of course

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jonathan3584 (323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - JAN 26, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2005 Very balanced. Too balanced for my taste. A very mild IPA. Almost overly malty for an IPA

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bockyhorsey (2610) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - JAN 24, 2005
Nice pour from the bottle. The best lacing iíve seen since pouring bottles of beer into a glass. Hoppy aroma and lasting flavor made this a good one. Will buy this one next trip to the beer store

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 23, 2005
This was the beer that alerted me to the brewing genius that was Stone. Itís a fantastic example of everything that an IPA should be, loaded with hops, bitterness and just an amazing flavour that is among the best of IPAs. I actually preferred this to the Ruination, which I thought was perhaps a bit much ambition for it to carry. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 23, 2005
Translucent strawberry blonde, with a white cloud of of head that quickly gave way to clingly ring of lace, but with only a swirl the head came right back to life, giving away that incredible hoppy aroma. Pine trees, citrus, grassy, this thing has the whole nine yards. The first sip goes down dry and lip-smackingly bitter, but somehow the malt fights itís way through and holds on to the back of your palate after the first coat of hops saturates your tastebuds into submission. Maybe my sample was getting a little old (6-8 months Iíd say), but I kinda tasted a little vanilla in the aftertaste, something I didnít notice when I had the first 2-3 from my 6 pack. Alcohol also makes itís presence known after about the half pint mark. For some people balance in a Beer is important, and I sort of fall into that catergory, but sometimes in life you find balance in inequality, order in chaos, yada-yada-yada. This Beer is the gold standard of American IPAs, and my personal favorite from Stone.

Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2005 I thought that all of Stoneís brews were supposed to be real bad-ass beers, but this is one well-balanced, tasty, refreshing IPA. Pouring a clear amber color with a sudsy white head, this has strong (but not overwhelming) piney and floral hop aromas. Thereís some decent malts at the base, but the hops do take over with pine, grapefruit, and earthy herbal hop tastes. Thereís also a bit of an almost peppery spiciness to the drink. Itís got a refreshingly bitter finish that leaves me thirsty for another.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Stop, Highland, IN<font size=-1>

heemer77 (5174) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 12, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2008 Sampled agian recently, again from a Stone IPA glass. Just a solid IPA. From a bomber and drank out of a Stone IPA glass. A nice gift from my brother. Slightly cloudy light orange color. A medium sized white head. Aroma immediately hit me with bready goodness. A hint of oranges and some pepper. The taste is up front and very hoppy. A nice balance of fresh hops and some spicy clove in the finish. It has grapefruit and some nice light malts to counteract that taste. The finish is smooth and carbonated. This also has a hint of tangerine or some other more delicate citrus fruit than just grapefruit. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 12, 2005
Well, for an IPA, this is one hoppy beer. It smells of hops, it is very hoppy in flavor and I cannot think of any part of the beer that doesnít have some hoppy part to it. If you like IPAís definetlly try this one, itís solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewrater (92) - uniontown, Ohio, USA - JAN 6, 2005
This beer has the most diverse description of a beer I have seen on Ratebeer.com yet. While some found it very hoppy, even to the point of being unbalanced, others were suprised that it wasnít as dry as they expected and found it very balanced. I fall into the latter. I lean towards the APAís vs. the IPAís for the very reason of balance. While the true Hophead disciple will love say Victory HopDevil, I gravitate towards the Sierra Nevada APA. All of that to say that this Stone brew falls more into the balanced category. Which ultimately worked out for me since I bought this since it is available in Ohio and Stone APA isnít. I very good beer! Strong floral aftertaste. Quality product. One of the best Iíve had.