overall

RATINGS: 3621   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 12, 2005
Well, for an IPA, this is one hoppy beer. It smells of hops, it is very hoppy in flavor and I cannot think of any part of the beer that doesnít have some hoppy part to it. If you like IPAís definetlly try this one, itís solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewrater (92) - uniontown, Ohio, USA - JAN 6, 2005
This beer has the most diverse description of a beer I have seen on Ratebeer.com yet. While some found it very hoppy, even to the point of being unbalanced, others were suprised that it wasnít as dry as they expected and found it very balanced. I fall into the latter. I lean towards the APAís vs. the IPAís for the very reason of balance. While the true Hophead disciple will love say Victory HopDevil, I gravitate towards the Sierra Nevada APA. All of that to say that this Stone brew falls more into the balanced category. Which ultimately worked out for me since I bought this since it is available in Ohio and Stone APA isnít. I very good beer! Strong floral aftertaste. Quality product. One of the best Iíve had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chriso (7482) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2008 Iíd been led to believe that this is the benchmark IPA, and itís easy to see why. The hop attack is huge. It has all that resin, oiliness, pine, grapefruit, flowery character and all the rest you expect. Itís big, bold and brassy. As upfront as they come. But, despite all that, I didnít find it too aggressive. In fact, I found it a quite smooth drop. OK, its quite straightforward and maybe a touch one-dimensional, but I found it very appealing. Bottle, at the Brickskeller, Washington DC.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Delicious hop flavour in this IPA, as you would expect for this style. nice color, nice head. Very clean tasting, almost medicinal with all of those hop oils coming through very strongly. good, but not my favorite for this style. not quite sweet enough to balance, and not quite enough character to make it one of my favorite IPAs. I think this beer would benefit greatly with about 5-10% more crystal malt (or other similar unfermentable 40L range) added to the grist, but thatís just my personal perferance. very delicious. very drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
elektrogeist (158) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Intensely hopped but not in a bad way, this is some heavy duty IPA right here-and I usually donít like IPA. As a bonus the intensity of this brew puts you under enough for surgery after 1 or 2 12 ounce bottles. And as always, make sure itís been kept refrigerated since itís nice and unpasteurized.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
badgerben (4614) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Orange color with little head. Very hoppy aroma. More in the taste... umm... yeah, there are hops in the beer. Not much else. A little on the disappointing side.

civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - DEC 27, 2004
The cascade hops hit you and hit you hard, and the beer has a crisp, dry flavor that is full of hops and not much else. Refreshing but not very well balanced. I expected more for the hype.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 24, 2004
Man, my palate must be getting jaded. I finally tracked this one down on the East Coast, and thought it was merely very solid. It isnít particularly distinctive, just an excellent representative of the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Amber Coloring with Big White Head. Huge Hoppy Bite With a Warming That Lights you up For Christmas! Amazingly, Not Very Dry... Crisp... Alcohol Very Noticeable for 6.9%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
methtlcai (10) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - DEC 21, 2004
this one surprised me....for an IPA, it was very citrusy and floral, and reminded me of wheat beer, not an IPA....for the true hop heads out there, try Arrogant Bastard ale from Stone, it is truly a bitter treat, but this offering seemed to be more sweet and fruity than what I expect from an IPA