overall

RATINGS: 3645   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 23, 2005
This was the beer that alerted me to the brewing genius that was Stone. Itís a fantastic example of everything that an IPA should be, loaded with hops, bitterness and just an amazing flavour that is among the best of IPAs. I actually preferred this to the Ruination, which I thought was perhaps a bit much ambition for it to carry. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Goldorak (438) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 23, 2005
Translucent strawberry blonde, with a white cloud of of head that quickly gave way to clingly ring of lace, but with only a swirl the head came right back to life, giving away that incredible hoppy aroma. Pine trees, citrus, grassy, this thing has the whole nine yards. The first sip goes down dry and lip-smackingly bitter, but somehow the malt fights itís way through and holds on to the back of your palate after the first coat of hops saturates your tastebuds into submission. Maybe my sample was getting a little old (6-8 months Iíd say), but I kinda tasted a little vanilla in the aftertaste, something I didnít notice when I had the first 2-3 from my 6 pack. Alcohol also makes itís presence known after about the half pint mark. For some people balance in a Beer is important, and I sort of fall into that catergory, but sometimes in life you find balance in inequality, order in chaos, yada-yada-yada. This Beer is the gold standard of American IPAs, and my personal favorite from Stone.

Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - JAN 22, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2005 I thought that all of Stoneís brews were supposed to be real bad-ass beers, but this is one well-balanced, tasty, refreshing IPA. Pouring a clear amber color with a sudsy white head, this has strong (but not overwhelming) piney and floral hop aromas. Thereís some decent malts at the base, but the hops do take over with pine, grapefruit, and earthy herbal hop tastes. Thereís also a bit of an almost peppery spiciness to the drink. Itís got a refreshingly bitter finish that leaves me thirsty for another.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Stop, Highland, IN<font size=-1>

heemer77 (5187) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JAN 12, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2008 Sampled agian recently, again from a Stone IPA glass. Just a solid IPA. From a bomber and drank out of a Stone IPA glass. A nice gift from my brother. Slightly cloudy light orange color. A medium sized white head. Aroma immediately hit me with bready goodness. A hint of oranges and some pepper. The taste is up front and very hoppy. A nice balance of fresh hops and some spicy clove in the finish. It has grapefruit and some nice light malts to counteract that taste. The finish is smooth and carbonated. This also has a hint of tangerine or some other more delicate citrus fruit than just grapefruit. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 12, 2005
Well, for an IPA, this is one hoppy beer. It smells of hops, it is very hoppy in flavor and I cannot think of any part of the beer that doesnít have some hoppy part to it. If you like IPAís definetlly try this one, itís solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewrater (92) - uniontown, Ohio, USA - JAN 6, 2005
This beer has the most diverse description of a beer I have seen on Ratebeer.com yet. While some found it very hoppy, even to the point of being unbalanced, others were suprised that it wasnít as dry as they expected and found it very balanced. I fall into the latter. I lean towards the APAís vs. the IPAís for the very reason of balance. While the true Hophead disciple will love say Victory HopDevil, I gravitate towards the Sierra Nevada APA. All of that to say that this Stone brew falls more into the balanced category. Which ultimately worked out for me since I bought this since it is available in Ohio and Stone APA isnít. I very good beer! Strong floral aftertaste. Quality product. One of the best Iíve had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - JAN 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2008 Iíd been led to believe that this is the benchmark IPA, and itís easy to see why. The hop attack is huge. It has all that resin, oiliness, pine, grapefruit, flowery character and all the rest you expect. Itís big, bold and brassy. As upfront as they come. But, despite all that, I didnít find it too aggressive. In fact, I found it a quite smooth drop. OK, its quite straightforward and maybe a touch one-dimensional, but I found it very appealing. Bottle, at the Brickskeller, Washington DC.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Delicious hop flavour in this IPA, as you would expect for this style. nice color, nice head. Very clean tasting, almost medicinal with all of those hop oils coming through very strongly. good, but not my favorite for this style. not quite sweet enough to balance, and not quite enough character to make it one of my favorite IPAs. I think this beer would benefit greatly with about 5-10% more crystal malt (or other similar unfermentable 40L range) added to the grist, but thatís just my personal perferance. very delicious. very drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
elektrogeist (158) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Intensely hopped but not in a bad way, this is some heavy duty IPA right here-and I usually donít like IPA. As a bonus the intensity of this brew puts you under enough for surgery after 1 or 2 12 ounce bottles. And as always, make sure itís been kept refrigerated since itís nice and unpasteurized.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
badgerben (4630) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Orange color with little head. Very hoppy aroma. More in the taste... umm... yeah, there are hops in the beer. Not much else. A little on the disappointing side.