overall

RATINGS: 3503   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beer’s crisp and refreshing bitter character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - FEB 16, 2004
Bitter, but bitter in a very good way. Like all Stone brews the hops hit you like a brick-wall. Very nice in general, head was nice and lasting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
carboloader (674) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 15, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2011 pours beautiful hazy amber orange with tall white foamy head that lasts a while. Can smell the fruity hops from over a foot away! Flavor is all hops, easy on the malt (less than an arrogant bastard for example), and all nicely resulting in a lovely bitter (can you say pucker) finish. One of the purest regular IPAs I’ve tasted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xmandax (130) - Astoria, New York, USA - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2004 a wonderful ipa. pours a slightly cloudy golden orange with a quickly dissipating off-white head. hugely floral nose. clear hops with a bitter bitter aftertaste. a tad on the thin side, but overall a really great brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 13, 2004
Nice golden amber color with a fluffy white head. As expected, loads of spicy hops and citrus in the aroma. Flavor is bursting with fresh hops, grapefruit, pine and spice. Excellent IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 12, 2004
As much as I love stone, this beer seems over-rated. Pours a medium amber with small white head. Flavors are of a basic IPA, floral, citrus, a little sour and light on the palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rastacouere (6137) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 11, 2004
It pours a clear filtered? yellow with a small white head, this could be a pilsner and giving it 3 makes me wonder if I'm too kind just because it's Stone. Aroma is hop essence literally.. with a hint of fuel and quite salty as well together with the more traditional citrus, lemon and grapefruity profiles. A good sniffing which appeals me by its originality. Taste surprises right away being very citric. I simply don't understand how so many people can love it that much since it's so distracting? Neverthless, there's a touch of honey malt and it's very clean. Talking about balance is totally out of place though and it didn't seem particularly pleasant. The body is honest, a solid medium body, but not as mouth-filling as other Stones I've had. Basically, this was totally blown away by the Lost Coast Indica we've had just before. Just altogether way too citric sour for my liking, possibly the tartest IPA I've had to date and while it's a characteristic I truly love in many belgians, it didn't seem to fit here. Thanks Martin!

SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Nice amber appearance and a decent foamy head. Bitter enough for the hopheads and balanced enough for the average person. A solid IPA that is more refreshing than just about any other IPA I've ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Loweeel (6) - USA - FEB 9, 2004 does not count
The best IPA I've tried, and the first I've ever really liked. Beautiful color, although the head didn't last as long as I would have liked. As with most Stone brews, the closer I got to the bottom of the glass, the more I enjoyed it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - FEB 6, 2004
Bottled. Moderate head with nice lacing. Hoppy aroma. Clean and crisp without being overly bitter. Well balanced with a mellowing presence of malt. It's not as complex as my personal favorite, Victory's Hop Devil, but very, very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PeterA (340) - SLOVAK REPUBLIC - FEB 5, 2004
Hoppy aroma. Clear bronze color with a foamy head. Mild hoppy flavor with a touch of grapefruit in the aftertaste. For some reason I felt like it was thinner than it should have been. I have to say, this beer grew on me with every sip.