overall

RATINGS: 3573   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - APR 6, 2004
Bottle. Nice golden/orange hue, massive creamy head that left more lace on my glass than ANY beer I've ever had! Amazing structure! Nose is fresh, cascade hops forward and lots of them, I don't get much maltiness here. Essence of grass, lime, pine resin, peach. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, some maltiness, but the hops are acidic and over-the-top, drowning out the maltiness in a sea op hops. I guess it's medium sweet, but the hops and their acidic tartness throw the balance to the dry side, leaving a bit of tongue-bite as though I'd been smoking a pipe to long. Fresh hops flavor, clean sharp finish. Very drinkable for an IPA, and I wouldn't call myself a hophead really. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 4, 2004
Great grassy hop aroma dominates but there is some malt at the end. Poured with a white full head, clear yellow in color. Good hop bitterness but it has a balance of some malt sweetness in the finish. As the flavor fades the finish gets dry and bitter. This is a good overall IPA there wasn't the crystal malt flavor that I have seen in other IPA's. I still like the DFH 60 min more but this is also a good IPA that I would drink again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
rajendra82 (973) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - APR 2, 2004
Pale golden body with a massive beige head that refused to die due to nice natural carbonation. Aroma is floral, grassy, piney hops with an infusion of yeasty bready malt. The taste is a wonderland of hops with spicy-hot pine resin like quality to the beginning of each sip. Following that first assault by the hops, there are additional waves of grapefruit rinds, black pepper, marigold, and orange blossom. The malt adds a butterscotch like sweetness to the mix, and the yeast adds a grittyness to the mouthfeel. This is one of the absolute great IPAs anywhere. I thank 123456green for the bomber, and look forward to the day when I can get this at my local store.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chupa LaHomebrew (12) - Gahanna, Ohio, USA - APR 2, 2004
Another score for stone brewing company. This heavily hopped american IPA is a beauty. Copper/bronze and clear with vivacoius bubbles and average head with a gorgeous hop aroma. As an IPA lover and hophead I appreciate the somewhat overtly hopped nature of the beer. It is certainly a little out of balance in favor of the hops though. The malt is just there like a backdrop, a canvas for Lee Chase's bitter palate of warrior, centennial, and whatever else he has hiding in there. I could buy a six-pack of this and drink two a night after work and be happy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
1more4dessert (332) - Upstate, New York, USA - APR 2, 2004
very nice speciman, not a world beater, floral nose, moderate citrus, good astringent finish, maybe it is a world beater but it will be a while before I get another chance to sample - too bad

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
lowner (19) - astoria, New York, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Smooth, perfectly floral, a beautiful color, and tasty beyond belief. The perfect IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - MAR 30, 2004
There is something special about this beer! I can't put my finger on what it is but I really want to quaff this one. There is a sort of sweet-tart flavor there that teases you to tip it back and finish it. Looks fairly standard with a medium white head and an orange/yellow color. Aroma is outstanding with truckloads of citris and flowery hop, almost pollen like. Flavor is undescribable with citris and flowers, sweet malt just tickling your senses. Yes this will be a regular for me from here on out.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ross (2120) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 29, 2004
smells AWESOME. hops, citrus, spicy, a wonderful aroma. pours out a light brown color with a small white head. still cant get over the smell of this. now the taste- oh my god. this is great. this is the best IPA i have ever drank this is awesome. hops hops hops, spicy with a dry aftertaste that goes down so smoooth. if you have never had this, go find one and drink it. had this rating posted, and thought i would add a comment- this would work as something i could slam down until i was unaware of my real name. this is so good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
calivania (62) - USA - MAR 26, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2004 I agree with all those seduced by the smell of this beer: like a summerdress in a field of cornflowers! The appearence is less inspiring, a kind of taco-shell yellow with a sudsy head. The texture is so pleasingly velvet and the flavor kind of reminds me of waffles and oranges. I expect the hops to be overwhelming, given the reputation of Stone, but they are not: generous and fresh and fruity but not overwhelming. Gentlemen, nits can be picked here, but lets face it, this is one of Southern California's most important beers, a very complicated refreshing and exciting beer that surprises with every sip.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2004
Soapy/sudsy white head on top of a clear orange yellow body. Big malty aroma with plenty of citrusy hops coming through. Aroma is just excellent. Flavor doesn't quite live up to the scent. Soft, sweet, easy drinking. Lacks a bit of the hop bite I like in an IPA. Very orangey flavors. Juicy mouthfeel ends fairly dry. Real good brew but not my favorite IPA.