overall

RATINGS: 3607   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

SG (465) - Valley Center, California, USA - FEB 9, 2004
Nice amber appearance and a decent foamy head. Bitter enough for the hopheads and balanced enough for the average person. A solid IPA that is more refreshing than just about any other IPA I've ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Loweeel (6) - USA - FEB 9, 2004 does not count
The best IPA I've tried, and the first I've ever really liked. Beautiful color, although the head didn't last as long as I would have liked. As with most Stone brews, the closer I got to the bottom of the glass, the more I enjoyed it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - FEB 6, 2004
Bottled. Moderate head with nice lacing. Hoppy aroma. Clean and crisp without being overly bitter. Well balanced with a mellowing presence of malt. It's not as complex as my personal favorite, Victory's Hop Devil, but very, very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
PeterA (340) - SLOVAK REPUBLIC - FEB 5, 2004
Hoppy aroma. Clear bronze color with a foamy head. Mild hoppy flavor with a touch of grapefruit in the aftertaste. For some reason I felt like it was thinner than it should have been. I have to say, this beer grew on me with every sip.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2004
Nice golden color, with a decent size head that dissolved quickly. Nice grapefruit aroma. Hmm...more mellow than I'd expected, but it has been aging for a while. Think I'm drinking it at just the right time too. Not overpoweringly hoppy, but certainly with that bitter kick to it. Another winner from Stone.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
elsberry (87) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 3, 2004
Pours a clear amber shade, with a wonderful head, and incredible lacing. Aroma of grapefruit and pine. Great bitter taste that isn't too harsh. A wonderful IPA, that's simple in design, but awesome in results.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JAN 30, 2004
Wow what a beer-So good in fact that I found myself making up words to describe just how good an IPA this is. Aroma is wonderful of pine, citrus and those glorious hops. Flavor was so complete that it will be some time before I am able to, with an un-biased opinion, rate an IPA. Beautifully put together . This is a truly magnificent beer...Thanks Shag.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerSurfer (27) - Powell, Ohio, USA - JAN 30, 2004
(Bottle) Strong grapefruit and hops aroma. Amber color, 1/2" foamy white head falls to a thin layer within a minute or so, but leaves nice lacing. Citrus and pine taste, with little malt, alot of bitterness that extends into a long aftertaste. Palate is tingly, crisp, and dry. If you can measure a beer by how likely you are to suggest it to another (and isn't that part of the ratings process?), this beer ranks right at the top with the best of them.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hershiser2 (1357) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 29, 2004
Paid $3.79 for a bomber. Great amber/orangy color, small head, but really looks nice! That smell is a 5- that's the smell I look for in a good IPA- the smell I love, the smell I think about when I'm somewhere without beer. Sweet citrus... very strong. As soon as I popped the cap, I smelled it. LUSCIOUS! MMM tastes so good. Sour citrus, moderately hoppy, great bite! This really is a good beer! One of the best IPAs I've had in awhile!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Draft: Very nicely hopped in the nose and aroma. Sprucy and earthy. A touch of sweetness in the finish - which I love! A deep golden color below a white head. This is an excellent IPA!