overall

RATINGS: 3358   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beer’s crisp and refreshing bitter character.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ucsbdude (68) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - MAY 11, 2002
This is my favortie IPA that I’ve tried.You must get it on draft to do it justice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
obxdude10 (1971) - Limerick, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 10, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2012 I have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote my first review of this beer. Although, in my defense, my tastes must have changed in the almost ten years since that review. I completely deleted those initial comments, because my current thoughts about Stone IPA are completely opposite! This is one of the best IPA’s in the land! It pours a light gold color with a straw hue and a large, sticky white head. The head leaves a ton of beautiful and cascading lacing around the glass. The nose is full of dry and spicy hops, with a truck-load of citrus and a touch of bready malts. The flavors are dry and spicy, as well, with the citrus dominating. I taste some orange peel, grapefruit, hop resin and a touch of earth and bread. The finish is almost the best part, with all the dry and spicy hops, along with the grapefruit and orange. This is a just a tremendously awesome IPA!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAY 8, 2002
A very malty example of the style. First aroma that hit me was Tang. It smelled like coming home from the pool on a hot summer day and fixing a glass of Tang and watching TV. Served cold, the bitterness hits your mouth like a brick, but is soon subdued by the rising maltiness. A well balanced beer indeed. Damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - MAY 4, 2002
Had a bottle of this while working the grill. This brew pours a clear golden honey amber. The large fluffy almost white head is fully lasting with good lacing. The bold perfumed nose is exclusively hops with grass, citrus, herbs, spruce, and flowers. The flavor is very rich and complex while staying straightforward and exceptionally balanced. The brew starts flowery with a sweet and fruity middle and a very long bitter bisquity finish. The palate is stellar with a medium smooth and soft body that is creamy and slightly oily. The finish is very clean. Stone is a MONSTER brewer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 30, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2003 12 oz bottle, light orange -copper color with a white frothy head, nice lacing. Clean citrus-pine aroma, medium body malty with a strong hop profile, nice balance, One hell of an IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dlclark (73) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2002
UPDATED: APR 1, 2003 My wife was about to kill me for ordering these. Not available in Illinois, so I had six of them shipped from California and it was worth every penny. If you like IPA's, this is excellent. The aroma makes you want to stick your face into the glass until you run out of air. The flavor is very hoppy but also easily drinkable. Dogfish head 90 minute IPA is the only beer I've had with more hop flavor but not near the aroma or smoothness of this one. This is near perfect. Just picked up a keg of this stuff. Not as hoppy as my first impression, but a great overall beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - APR 29, 2002
nice smooth hoppy aroma. its got a solid green bitterness. sweet malts poke through. I’ve had hoppier, but few that are this good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
legion242 (2099) - Richardson, Texas, USA - APR 24, 2002
Surprisingly pale in color; Head was thin and fleeting; Lots of citrus and pine in the nose. Surprisingly mild- this did not knock me on my ass with hops the way that I expected. Actually restrained. I am really surprised.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hugerat (452) - somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 4, 2002
Definitely one of my alltime favorites. Humungus hoppy aftertaste that just kills your palate for any other beer on the planet. But why would you want to drink anything else?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
heykevin (1273) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - APR 4, 2002
Aroma is top notch extremely inviting hoppy aroma. Malt flavor is quite well done, just the right amount of residual sweetness. My main beef is that the hop flavor was quite different than the hop aroma. I felt that it led to a bit of a disjointed drinking experience.