overall

RATINGS: 3571   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Verne (263) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2003 Aroma what an aroma a hop heads delight not much of an effort to balance this baby out but I like it none the less

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
rapkungen (19) - USA - JUN 25, 2003
Great IPA! Medium head. Very pronounced aroma of hop, one of the best aromas ever. Excellent balance of bitter and dry flavors. One of the best colored beers I have ever seen, only the premium Belgium beers do better.

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUN 23, 2003
In my humble opinion this is the IPA against which all IPA's should be measured. Crisp, clean, flavorful and refreshing it is everything an IPA should be. Hats off to the Stone Brewing Company for giving us such an outstanding ale.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
radiomgb (2462) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 22, 2003
Deep bronze in colour with a fluffy white head and some great lace. Huge aroma of floral hops. Has a deep hop flavour and a fantastic hop bitterness in the finish. Thanks to CaptainCougar for sending this to me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - JUN 21, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 14, 2005 Very nice IPA. One of my favorites when I’m looking for a crisp IPA with some bitey, piney bitterness. I like the victory more for its balance and more of a malty body. It just matters what mood I’m in. Stone is cheeper than Victory so that can put me in the mood for Stone quite often. ReRate 051405: Most tastey Stone IPA I’ve ever had. Extremely fresh tasting. Aroma is like sweet wort, and hops are as fresh as can be. Taste is just about perfect right now. Perfectly balanced. Wow, I’ll be drinking this more often. Bumped up from 4.0 to 4.2.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - JUN 17, 2003
I'm no hop-head but I enjoyed this. As I don't get very into IPA's I don't have much basis for comparison here. Really nice aroma of pines and grapefruit. Very hoppy but didn't really offend me, nice subtle sweet flavors underneath. Super-clean finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
hoppygrrrl (104) - Albion, Michigan, USA - JUN 14, 2003
In a word, boring. It's such a highly-regarded brew, perhaps my expectations were just too high! Incredible golden color, like bottled sunshine! Amazing! But the flavor was too single-note. Super hoppy, sure, but nothing special, nothing to run back to. Like a quick hop fix, or a rush of any kind; ultimately not truly satisfying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerGod (5454) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JUN 14, 2003
Orangish amber body with a nice floral, piney, citrusy and hoppy nose. Very thin head. The tongue had hops on it but seemed thinner than the Ruination and it finishes drier than the Ruination. This is still a damn tasty beer, though. Bitter with a slight sweetness. Finishes dry but with a smooth aftertaste. Good beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 14, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 13, 2003 So, i buy this yesterday and my brother says it'd be the perfect beer to rate for my 100th beer. he said it's one of the most amazing beers made and i guess it is by looking at the scores on here. too bad i think it's kinda crappy. i like the painted label. i like the color (nice golden with ambery hues). the smell was a bit whatevery. then the taste... first i have to preface it by saying that i love hoppy beers and bitter beers, but whatever good hoppy/bittery taste it has was completely overshadowed by this awful lingering aftertaste. it was so awful that i had to go brush my teeth (twice) and when that didn't kill the taste, i did a shot (or was it three?) of Jim Beam. Yuk! (on a sidenote, my brother says it isn't the freshest Stone IPA he's every had)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mthead (2) - San Marcos, California, USA - JUN 14, 2003 does not count
Excellent! If you like hops and bitterness this is for you. This ale is a golden beauty.