overall

RATINGS: 3475   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beer’s crisp and refreshing bitter character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - DEC 11, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2003 Light amber, slightly cloudy. Aroma entices, bitter semi-sweet flavor follows it well but requires commitment - which is rewarded as the glass depletes, to the point that I was sad after last drop. While I prefer Stone"s Pale Ale for drinkability, this is a fine IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cAPSLOCK (155) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 10, 2002
This beer is not yet available in my area. So I was delighted to see it in a store in Bethlehem PA for me to try having both enjoyed ’Arrogant Bastard’ and seeing it rated so highly here. Well... I am sad to report that maybe I got a bad bottle. It was fine but not all that it seems to be cracked up to be here. What I tasted was a very well balanced, flavorful, well hopped IPA. But I suppose I prefer something a little more off the beaten path... it was nice overall, but unremarkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 5, 2002
lots of floral hops, a very deceiving brew at first I thought oh this isn’t too bitter but then about five minutes later when my lips were still puckered I reconsidered, the finish may actually be TOO bitter

GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2002
hoppy, hoppy, hoppy of course. what else would I expect really? beautiful, erratic lace hangs on well. well balanced for an ipa. Long lasting finish alternating sweet and bitter. truly refreshing!!! Crystal and cascade hops all over the place. nothing but barley hops water and yeast makes for some serious magic here. ohh, what a classic beer. so many I.P.A.’s out here, so little money.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
goz (359) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Light amber pour, with a thick white head that laces very nicely. First pour from the bomber had some large carb bubbles that trickled to the top pretty quickly. Aroma had a strong pine smell to it, like sniffing a freshly fallen pine cone. Taste followed the smell quite nicely, with lots of hops and a long trailing aftertaste.

Frank (2929) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2010 Truly a wonderful beer. Great hops from the first smell to the last sip. Full, bready body with a touch of malty sweetness that saves this IPA from tasting over-hopped. Distinctive grapefruit-juice-bitter finish. Clear, reddish-golden color. Leaves a complex latttice of lace down the side of the glass. About a thousand times better than the infamous Arrogant Bastard Ale. Stone should give this stuff the cool name.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Probably the best beer I’ve ever had (as far as my preference goes). This is truly the last IPA you’ll ever wat to drain. Fragrant, beautiful rich mangoey shade of yellow. The flavor is biiitttterrr!!! As the great poet whose name I’ve forgotten once said: ’It is bitter bitter. But I love it because it is bitter, like my heart’. I sat down at my local pub last night and tried two twenty two ouncers. The chalkboard advertising the specials of the evening had it labeled ’double bitter’ and it cost around 5 bucks but it was well worth it. Great beer.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - NOV 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2004 Semi-sweet apple and grapefruit aroma. The hops bitterness doesn't really set in until after the first few sips. There is a big bitter edge to this along with a malty sweet back. A long aftertaste of the hops is present, and there seems to be nothing small about this beer. The color is a typical orange/brown, and it has a nice fluffy white head. I find this to be a very nice alternative to the big boy, AKA "Ruination IPA." Stone brews are like a party. It's just fun drinking them!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2010 Used to like it lots...when there wasn’t any competition...now it really doesn’t compete because there’s no incentive for stone to care since retards buy up the shit like its crack.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WISEGUY572 (1373) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 21, 2002
A great American IPA. Lots of American hoppiness. Cloudy golden color. Not as good as Victory Hop Devil or as Stone’s Ruination, which I remember as off the scale bitter and just about perfect.