overall

RATINGS: 3897   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beaconstreet (811) - Washington DC, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Tight head and froth. Gorgeous. Tiny bubbles that just sit in the brew act like a scrim--have never seen anything like that. Orange-red color. Floral aroma. Easily one of my favorite IPAs. Loved its purity claims and entertaining definitions on the bottle. Love the Californian Gargoyle on the bottle. (I was in a NYC deli and saw this as a single bottle in another random six-pack. I brought this and three other high-end beers to the counter. The new clerk asked is boss.. how much for this such and such cider? "Ah um," says the busy manager, "$1.75". The clerk rings up each bottle as $1.75. I pay my seven dollars and RUN.)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Odeed (1799) - Bakersfield, California, USA - OCT 20, 2004
murky golden/orange color with an average head.smells of oranges and flowers.the taste is hops and a bit of grapefruit.very much like the ruination but a bit smoother.this is a very nice ipa.especially at 3.10 for a duce duce.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 20, 2004
Pours a beautiful dark orange with a big, light tan had. Big floral hop aroma. Taste is of hoppy bitterness, which lingers, but this is balanced enough to be very refreshing. A treat that is readily available and reasonably priced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - OCT 19, 2004
Orange golden beer, thick foamy off-white head. Nice bitter hoppy and flowery aroma. Mild and fresh with toffee tones in the background. Hops is dominating in the flavor that has a nice sweet middle. Very well balanced bitterness. A soft and smooth beer that I could drink again and again......

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - OCT 17, 2004
Bottle. Hoppy, floral aroma, very pleasant. Golden color, white head. Lots of hops, nice and bitter, and plenty satisfying, but just enough malt flavor to offset the hops, making it very drinkable. More hops in the aftertaste, and I want an IPA to remind me what it tasted like well after the fact. I think the extra hops and alcohol in the Ruination makes this beer’s big brother the better of the two, but this beer is every bit as good. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life and be completely satisfied, I thank my local supermarket for being well stocked with bombers of this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - OCT 15, 2004
Loads of hops in the aroma, pines, citrus, and some malts in the background. Yellow/golden body, with a medium creamy white head. Very bitter flavor, good hop flavor, citrus, earthy. A very nice ipa. And very extreme...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - OCT 13, 2004
Great IPA. Creamy/buttery head. Nice amber color..loads of flavor. One of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sixpackcharley (19) - barclay, Texas, USA - OCT 11, 2004
Wow! A love of hops is obviously the origin of this delightful brew. Sweet and full with a hint of pine or maybe alcohol. Clear, deceiving color does not alert you to the secrets locked inside the glass. There is a space on the cooler shelf from now on for my new favorite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Loddeer (171) - USA - OCT 10, 2004
Let me start by saying my expectations are sky-high, and that I love great IPA’s, I will continue my review following the dots ... mmm mmm Good! Yeah this is definitely an excellent IPA, the initial flavoring is strong and distinct. The after-taste is unusually subtle yet powerful. It really does an excellent job of masking the underlying power and presents itself as a hoppy giant. Completely enjoyable and a superb brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
savannah (37) - columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 9, 2004
Light, citrus hop aroma. Medium mouth feel. Difficult to describe flavor but very good. Pleasant lingering taste. Golden color, no head retension.