overall

RATINGS: 3590   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - APR 19, 2003
Nice IPA but with the high ratings over this one I expected something more than exceptional. Has a nice marriage of malt/hop flavor and only a slight bitterness compared to most other IPA's I've had over the years. I still think the Alesmith beats this one though. I will definately drink it again, but there are many just as good as this one and better.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerRunner (144) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 15, 2003
Very, very good IPA. Typical Stone hoppiness (which is awesome!) Delicious citrusy notes in it. Beautiful, creamy head, Nice mouth feel. Very refreshing after a hard run on a hot day. Not overwhelmingly strong, either.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - APR 15, 2003
Definitely one of the best IPAs I've had. Somehow the incredible amount of IBUs don't overwhelming or lead to excessive hop burps. Lovely to look at (the picture here does justice) and the aroma is exceedingly crisp. I wish this was available in Kansas, thanks to TAR for hooking me up!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - APR 13, 2003
On tap. Golden amber color. Beautiful floral hops, citrus aroma. Very well balanced hops, a little sweet and surprisingly not that bitter. Outstanding IPA. Up next is the ruination IPA, but I think I'll be having this quite often in the future.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
egajdzis (5515) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: APR 13, 2004 Golden color with a creamy head and nice lacing. Aroma was filled with citrusy hops, orange rind, and some grapefruit. Very hoppy, bitter, nice sweet finish. Very balanced, very good IPA, my favorite! I thought I had rated this too high, but upon revisiting, its really a top notch IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (1937) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - APR 7, 2003
Bottle. Darker golden color. Nice citrus/hop nose. I was expecting more hops than I could handle, but even though they are strong, the balance is excellent. A fine quaff!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fly (1427) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - APR 7, 2003
Having had some IPA's that have hops strength that can shrivel tongues, this came of as rather well balanced. Meaning that while the malt flavor is well subdued I was not over powered by the hopping, just greatly pleased. Very nice. Really impressed that with all the hops hat may have died for my pleasure, they did not do so in unnecessarily

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
KURTO99 (18) - wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2003
Lots of hops and a nice color. A good beer to have a warm summer day. Hints of citrus in this brew. Good, but not world class.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mully (1) - Indiana, USA - APR 5, 2003 does not count
Even an angry 19 year old waitress couldn't mess up the pour enough to effect the head on this beer! This is a great looking IPA. When I 'taste' a beer, I drink it in a special way. I take it in fully allowing it to roll completely over my tongue, and down my throat. I then immediately exhale through my nose giving the aroma and the flavor a second chance to show their stuff. The flavor is nice and hoppy. I also catch a bitter flavor wrapped up in there. I love this beer. It has a great drinkiblity that makes you 10th pint as fun as your 1st. Stone makes a super IPA!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sven (229) - Lancaster, California, USA - APR 3, 2003
Quickly disapating head, modest carbonation, fantastic amber color. Aroma of hops, taste of hops, burbs of hops. I love Stone Brewing!