RATINGS: 3662   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3900) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUL 27, 2003
Very nice aroma--grapefruit and a touch of orange and other citrus. But the flavor disappoints me--less rich and more acidic. There are plenty of UK beers that are better drinking experiences than this because they achieve a better balance, although this one charges mightly at the malts too. Good palate, carbonation but not oppressive, smooth. Good head though plain color.

Cobra (1100) - - JUL 26, 2003
22 oz. brown bomber bottle. No freshness date, but none needed, as it doesn't last long on the shelves around these parts. Poured out a hazy orange-yellow color. Stayed cloudy throughout the experience. It is an experience every time I have a new Stone beer. A wonderful experience, for the most part. Thick white head left chunky bubbles in the glass. Aromas of fresh hops, sweet malts, and some caramel also. Bready, yeasty aromas as well. Tastes great. Finishes clean, with a tangy hop afterbite to it. Try some for yourself.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
snowdog (6) - USA - JUL 19, 2003 does not count
Stone Brewing has yet to fail to impress me. This is probably the best IPA that I have ever had. An in your face kind of hoppiness that you rarely find, even in other IPA's.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
GreatStelle (363) - Chico, California, USA - JUL 18, 2003
The Stone brewing company in never disapointing. This is a great IPA. It is a bit more hoppy than most IPA's but that's the way Stone makes beer. Too the extreme.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaBeer1972 (1514) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 16, 2003
This seems to be a very competetive category - the IPA. Stone IPA? The best word I can think of to describe the taste, without being too techincal, is "flowery"!!! It tastes like someone dunked a bouquette of intense lilacs into my beer! However, I will admit, unlike some other IPA's I have tried, (again this is not my favorite style of beer), it's definately drinkable. -At 6.9% ABV, it's got a little KICK too. Definately Unique stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bonvivant (168) - Smithfield, Virginia, USA - JUL 16, 2003
Dark in color with that fantastic Stone bitternesss. Nicely well balanced with great malts that blend extremely well wiht the tooth enamel stripping hops.Great mouth feel

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
leitrim65 (402) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2003
Very light amber color almost an orange like color to it. Beautiful nose of citrus and hops. The flavors are intense and complex . Starts with citrus flavors and a slight hint of carbonation and growing into an outrageous burst of hops. The payoff is long and smooth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrDick (351) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 15, 2003
I poured myself a pint and then decided to fix the back tire on my mountain bike. But before I started, I drew in the huge hop aroma and sipped a bit from the cold brew to wet my appetite. After about 15 minutes, I was back to the ale and WOAH - I was gribbing the side of the pint with pure astonishment - there was a frothy, creamy head of pure hops growing tendrils of rich flavor to my tongue. I may have always drank this too soon and too cold! This ale is perfectly balanced - creamy head, crisp hops, a little bitterness, a bit of flowery dandelion. I can't think of a better ale to entice a novice to the hop side of the force.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - JUL 15, 2003
Enormous smell of floral hops and sweet malt has my mouth watering. Body is a cloudy orange with dashes of gold, completed by a full head of white foam. Taste is very interesting; big time apricot sweetness then BOOM!, a crash of hops of refined design. The hops are so clean and crisp you can almost feel your tongue crackle. Perfect carbonation and no alcohol in the flavor. Aftertaste is of light fruit and bitter hops, but finishes without approaching the disastrous realm of metallic and pencil shaving hop-aftertaste. Bravo for a job well done!

Terminus (3382) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 15, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2011 22oz bomber-hmm, i think this brew is somewhat of a bust. The aroma was excellent, great citrus aroma with grapefruit upfront. appearance was golden yellow, but carbonation and head were minimal. palate was nice and chewy. tons of hops, with a decient malt backbone but not as good as the malt in hopdevil. ReRate-tap-tucson beer fest ok, here is what everybody is talking about. my bottle must have been old because what i got on tap at the fest was one hell of an ipa. this may be the best one dimensional brew out there. the aroma is just this side of paradise! thanks to the guy at the Stone booth for the sticker :) This beer is pretty much all hops. This, along with Bells Two hearted are the most citrus-y brews out there (at least bottled and widely distributed). This is one i dont drink that often even though it has to be the best widely available brew in my neck of the woods (desert). Re-Rate 2011 Either my tastes are changing or this beer has taken a turn for the worse. Really catty which was common for ipa’s from this generation but now i can taste it much easier. I dropped the rating down 2/10 of a point. Two hearted is way better!