overall

RATINGS: 3619   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jgb9348 (5092) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAY 18, 2003
Well, for me a hop-lover living on the east coast, this was one that I really needed to try and isn't always readily available. I bought two bottles, a 12 ounce and the normal 22 ounce large bottle. This rating is from the Large bottle. Pours a orange colour with golden highlights at the bottom. Little head, but it was poured from the first half of the bottle, so an adequate head couldn't be formedd. The aroma is purely hops. If you continually smell this beer ever thirty seconds, your mouth will literally water. The taste is purely hoppy as well. A great mouthful, not too much, not too little. The aftertaste and palate of this beer is great as well...lingering hoppiness and subtle floral elements as well. This is truly an IPA winner and should be sampled by everyone regardless of their beer preference. One of those beers where 'hop heads' go crazy for.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 17, 2003
Hops galore! This has become one of my favorite, drink anytime ales. Pours with a beautiful golden-amber color and a nice creamy, lasting head which provides nice lacing as it gradually dissipates. Flavor and aroma are virtually all hops - spicy, grapefruit and flowers - with just enough malt to be recognized. Nice, crisp and easy to love. Good on it's own or with food - can definitely hold it's own with strong flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mribm (458) - Ocala, Florida, USA - MAY 16, 2003
Poured from the bottle with a creamy head and an slightly hazy, amber color. This is an EXCELLENT IPA and has instantly become one of my favorites. This is a great example of an IPA!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - MAY 15, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 21, 2003 Yellow straw in color with a small frothy head. Hoppy and lightly malt aroma. Hops, hops and more hops with a bit of sweetness; give me more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - MAY 11, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 27, 2003 To be honest I was expecting this to be over-hopped but it really wasn't. I enjoyed the hop flavors here but it seems to be missing something that Lagunitas has in the hop department. Behind the hops I can taste a very good beer here, so it gets points for that. Not much for me to say that hasn't been said except that I don't think this beer deserves some of the scores it gets (overrated)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - APR 30, 2003
UPDATED: APR 20, 2004 Beautiful color. Tastes like I bit into an orange peel -- my eyes popped wide open! I'm not sure whether I like this style yet; I'll have to try it out some more, but has an awesome aroma -- a floral/citrus scent -- could serve a double function as a nice potpourri for the house.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
lunaticharness (183) - Torrance, California, USA - APR 29, 2003
CRISP! easily drinkable, you should definitely pick this up!, perfect IPA, hops hops hops hops!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Suttree (5541) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - APR 28, 2003
Finesse? From Stone? Really? Yep, This one is a great session beer, and I mean that as a compliment of the highest order. Clean and crisp, but huge, assertive hop presence. Malt is there, nicely in the background. Very Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - APR 22, 2003
Very cloudy yellow color with a large foamy white head. Aroma has a nice floral base, a hoppy body, with citrus notes. Flavor is pretty smooth overall and rather acidic, with a slight bitterness in the finish. Palate is a little thinner than I'd like. A great IPA, maybe a slight dissapointment after all of the great things I've heard about it on this site, but still very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - APR 19, 2003
Nice IPA but with the high ratings over this one I expected something more than exceptional. Has a nice marriage of malt/hop flavor and only a slight bitterness compared to most other IPA's I've had over the years. I still think the Alesmith beats this one though. I will definately drink it again, but there are many just as good as this one and better.