overall

RATINGS: 3588   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
il2dune99 (1) - vista, California, USA - DEC 20, 2002 does not count

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Oristo (67) - Orinda, California, USA - DEC 17, 2002
Great pour: head and lacing is great. Very clear bronze with light carbonation visible. The aroma is good but surprisingly light given the strength of flavor. Rich and complex flavor leading to a long and changing finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2002
Wow. By far the best IPA I have ever had. Superbly hoppy and very crisp with a slight sweetness in the middle. Not quite as knock you off your feet hoppy as I would have guessed - but thats a good thing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - DEC 11, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2003 Light amber, slightly cloudy. Aroma entices, bitter semi-sweet flavor follows it well but requires commitment - which is rewarded as the glass depletes, to the point that I was sad after last drop. While I prefer Stone"s Pale Ale for drinkability, this is a fine IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 10, 2002
This beer is not yet available in my area. So I was delighted to see it in a store in Bethlehem PA for me to try having both enjoyed ’Arrogant Bastard’ and seeing it rated so highly here. Well... I am sad to report that maybe I got a bad bottle. It was fine but not all that it seems to be cracked up to be here. What I tasted was a very well balanced, flavorful, well hopped IPA. But I suppose I prefer something a little more off the beaten path... it was nice overall, but unremarkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Zach Diesel (906) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - DEC 5, 2002
lots of floral hops, a very deceiving brew at first I thought oh this isn’t too bitter but then about five minutes later when my lips were still puckered I reconsidered, the finish may actually be TOO bitter

GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 5, 2002
hoppy, hoppy, hoppy of course. what else would I expect really? beautiful, erratic lace hangs on well. well balanced for an ipa. Long lasting finish alternating sweet and bitter. truly refreshing!!! Crystal and cascade hops all over the place. nothing but barley hops water and yeast makes for some serious magic here. ohh, what a classic beer. so many I.P.A.’s out here, so little money.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
goz (359) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 3, 2002
Light amber pour, with a thick white head that laces very nicely. First pour from the bomber had some large carb bubbles that trickled to the top pretty quickly. Aroma had a strong pine smell to it, like sniffing a freshly fallen pine cone. Taste followed the smell quite nicely, with lots of hops and a long trailing aftertaste.

Frank (3269) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 1, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2010 Truly a wonderful beer. Great hops from the first smell to the last sip. Full, bready body with a touch of malty sweetness that saves this IPA from tasting over-hopped. Distinctive grapefruit-juice-bitter finish. Clear, reddish-golden color. Leaves a complex latttice of lace down the side of the glass. About a thousand times better than the infamous Arrogant Bastard Ale. Stone should give this stuff the cool name.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Probably the best beer I’ve ever had (as far as my preference goes). This is truly the last IPA you’ll ever wat to drain. Fragrant, beautiful rich mangoey shade of yellow. The flavor is biiitttterrr!!! As the great poet whose name I’ve forgotten once said: ’It is bitter bitter. But I love it because it is bitter, like my heart’. I sat down at my local pub last night and tried two twenty two ouncers. The chalkboard advertising the specials of the evening had it labeled ’double bitter’ and it cost around 5 bucks but it was well worth it. Great beer.