overall

RATINGS: 3450   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and youíll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beerís crisp and refreshing bitter character.

btwhite7 (37) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - DEC 9, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2008 Wow, this is a true IPA. Most hops Iíve had in an IPA. Not for the fant. VERY hopsy. STRONG. 1 is enough, heartburn sets in. IPA personified.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sam10 (37) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2005
I really like the beers this company puts out. I tried an IPA before and did not like it. But I gave these guys a shot. I still donít like IPAís. Just not for me taste like I am chewing on a flower. Although this is better than the other I tasted, just not for me.

imanerd (37) - Novi, Michigan, USA - FEB 4, 2007
A worthwhile ale. Much better balanced than the ruination. If memory serves me right, its rather bold, but not over the top. Bitter, pleasant sipper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
hubcrawler (37) - , Virginia, USA - OCT 26, 2008
Pours a clear orange with a frothy white head. Aromas of citrus, hops, and malt. Has a bitterness complemented by a slightly sweet, malty taste and a touch of grapefruit

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mrbirmingham (37) - Kansas, USA - APR 7, 2009
Aroma: I can smell the pine trees in this beer. There are hints of grassy and maybe some citrus notes. Appearance: Itís clear, medium gold with a tall white head. The head crashed quickly leaving thick lacing in the glass (gorgeous). Flavor: Itís a hop forward taste. The initial bitter bite carries through the tasting experience. I can taste the malt, but the flavor is balanced towards the hops. Mouth feel: It has a medium body Overall Impression: This is definitely an IPA; the hops smack me in the taste buds. I was surprised aroma was not stronger (the hops seem muted) until I looked at the ďEnjoy ByĒ date and it read 03/31/09. This was a bit surprising as I purchased the beer in mid-March (09). I guessing the hop aroma diminished over time. Even being old, I am still enjoying the beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheMantle (37) - New York, USA - FEB 19, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2010 Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. The best by date gives is about a month and a half away. Pours a nice translucent deep orange, with a small quickly receding white head. Smells great being dominated by citrus hops. Taste is hops, hops, hops. Also a bit spicy and citrus are coming through, without much of a malt backbone to back it up. Ends crisp with lingering hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TopherJackson (37) - Houston, Texas, USA - APR 22, 2010
Had this IPA a million times but just had it at a Stone beer dinner at BJís Brew house so....I have always loved this beer, it was the beer that introduced me to craft beer. Great hop aroma, citrus, pine. Tastes like it smells. This sets the standard for IPAís in my opinion...it also helps that itís freakin cheap for a beer this good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
savannah (37) - columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 9, 2004
Light, citrus hop aroma. Medium mouth feel. Difficult to describe flavor but very good. Pleasant lingering taste. Golden color, no head retension.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
malika (36) - SWITZERLAND - DEC 4, 2004
The color is opaque, amber, warm. The aroma is of fragrant hop; elderflowers. The taste shows a very perfumed hop and balanced bitterness; at the end the bitterness is dominant. Great.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
document (36) - USA - FEB 7, 2003
I have not had a better IPA. Stone Ruination IPA may be better in some very rigorous sense of the word. It is like the Platonic IPA -- all others mere reflections, or maybe mixed with a touch of lager. But this isn't intimidating and over the psychotic top like the ruination. It's drinkable any time, requiring no mental steeling, no palate flexing. Deep, slightly cloudy orange. Looks rather like the beer on the cover of Michael Jackson's Ultimate Beer. Beautiful. Piney aroma, modest bitterness, basically, just incredible.