overall

RATINGS: 3519   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and youíll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beerís crisp and refreshing bitter character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
wheresbaldo (8) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 28, 2007 does not count
Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a commodious Guinness Stout glass. Pours a dark honey to light amber color with a creamy, off-white head and a fair amount of lacing. I suppose I must be deranged - that or an ignorant Philistine but, for aroma, my notes say "smells like beer." The first sip yields a moderate to agressive hop bite which I would describe as floral and lingering, as the hop bitterness hangs around for a while. Itís a medium-bodied beer, well on the dry side and with lively carbonation. A fairly drinkable and complex brew, given that the last third of the bomber - once it has warmed a few degrees - reveals some residual sweetness. Pros - is 100% Rheinheitsgebot compliant - nothing but malted barley, yeast, hops and water in this beer - nice buzz value. With its 6.9% ABV, one bomber produces a mild head buzz - the brewer makes no apologies for, and even trumpets, the hop bitterness on the label. This is hoppy beer. Damn right, and was meant to be. Cons - I have no choice but to rate Stone IPA "move to the back of the line" on both repurchasability and refreshability (how easily it slides down the gullet when youíre hot and thirsty). As this review reflects my own personal taste, please donít cop any negative takeaways. I have zero doubt that this is a superlative beer, one that is meant to be savored and not "slammed." And - as is obvious from the other reviews - itís an exemplar of the style. I can only assume that IPAís are not my strong suite, not my preferred style.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
n0superman (7) - Piscataway, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2008 does not count
Pours a beautiful clear gold-amber with a light head which diminishes quickly. Some lacing and a small stream of bubbles persist. Strong smell of hops, taste is all hops from the beginning to the end. Not complex but well balanced and has some real body to it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
spiderwebb (7) - USA - MAR 8, 2008 does not count
Excellent hoppy aroma, and nice crisp tatse. I may have a 3-way tie for my favorite IPAís---Bellís 2 Hearted, DFH 90 minute, and now Stone IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
barnzy78 (7) - Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2008 does not count
UPDATED: NOV 18, 2008 One of the most sound IPAís I have tried. It was my first Stone experience, and I was expecting a punch in the mouth, but got a wonderfully balanced IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
LAbrewcrew (7) - , Alabama, USA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
This is a good tasting IPA. There is a great aroma to this beer with a fruity/hoppy finish. It is a heavier style compared to others.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
skaterclaytr (7) - Maryland, USA - MAY 3, 2009 does not count
Solid IPA. Nothing too hard to handle with a moderately masked sweet finished so the bitterness is finely juxtaposed. I like

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MattAddis (7) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 12, 2009 does not count
Pours a pretty golden/copper color with a white head. The aroma is great and overwhelmingly full of hops. The aroma dominates on the first few sips adding depth of flavor. Great finish thats full of hops as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mjz (7) - USA - DEC 7, 2009 does not count
One of the best IPAís I know of. Wonderful from start to finish. Itís not overly hoppy like some IPAís tend to be but it doesnít fall flat either.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
coloradohawk (7) - Broomfield, Colorado, USA - APR 15, 2010 does not count
Thanks Stone for turning me on to Ipaís. Very first ipa I drank nearly 7 yrs ago. Now this is my go to Ipa. Appearance is golden. Taste is grapefruit, citrus, with a little pine aroma with a touch of resin. Touch of bitterness but just perfect. Very easy to drink and very enjoyable!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chapter7 (7) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 9, 2006 does not count
An attractive looking hazey orange beer with quickly dissipating white froth. Brilliant nose of brewery air, fresh picked hops, pine, grapefruit, and apricot. Balanced yet bitterly hoppy with enough malt sweetness to successfully bring out the complex flavors of the hops. Finish is crisp and superbly fresh tasting. Certainly an I.P.A. to look up to.