overall

RATINGS: 3853   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.96/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
WABeerChick (25) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 26, 2004
So, maybe it is because I've been spoiled by the NW Style IPA, but I can't help but feel like this beer is so average. The color was really nice, but the love that makes up an IPA is all filtered out. It smelled pretty medicinal, it tasted bottled, maybe a little old. It wasn't bad, just wasn't great. I think I'll stick with Arrogant Bastard the next time I go for a Stone beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
celluloiddroid (25) - Hebron, Indiana, USA - MAY 31, 2004
Beautiful, golden color. Great head. Great tastes, oh the hops. It was bitter, but in the best possible way. I want more.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
mililani (25) - - JAN 26, 2014
Stone’s IPA, to me, represents everything wrong with the current beer trend. One day, people will look back at this obsession with hops and realize what a bizarre palate people in this day and age. That’s not to say hops are bad. No. But, excessive bittering hops, without any counter balance, are. And, Stone IPA, to me, represents that extreme. It comes off with this nasty medicinal bittering taste akin to aspirin. There is also this strong after taste that lingers on the palate for days. I couldn’t get rid of that aspirin like linger on my palate even days after finishing off a Stone multipack. It was just nasty, and I vowed to swear off Stone forever. Contrast this with more floral IPA’s such as Pliny the Elder or Simtra triple IPAs. With these brews, there is a more floral, sweet aroma and taste that finishes very clean and dry. Very little after taste. The predominant use of simcoe and amarillo hops gives those beers their characteristic aromatic hoppy smells and tastes that, I think, isn’t emphasized enough nowadays in the single IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dillinja (24) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 10, 2007
Real killer stuff. Hardly ever do you get so much hoppy bitter in a beer so easily drinkable. Drinking this beer is like hanging out with Jackie Chan - dude is strong enough to kick your ass at any given moment, but he’s too cool to do you like that.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
majorchaz (24) - Augusta, Georgia, USA - JAN 13, 2009
Pours light and clear, and has good floral aromas and strong hoppy flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cwondo (24) - Rochester, Michigan, USA - OCT 12, 2009
Bottle. Creamy light orange color with 1.5 finger white head that stays. Lacing. Aroma of sweet, flowery hops. Flavor had citrus and caramel notes along with a ton of hops. Palate was creamy and light with a dry finish. I was looking forward to this and it did not disappoint. Killer logo too!

bhightow (24) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 14, 2010
caramel, earthy, golden, clear, minimal head, medium sweetness, medium bitterness, light body, average carbonation, bitter,

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerskinner (24) - North Dakota, USA - MAR 14, 2011
The color is good. Great lacing. There was a keg of it for free, so I didn’t really have time to decide how good it is, I just kept on drinking. There has to be ample hop content and that gets done. One outstanding IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dsilvashy (24) - - JUL 14, 2012
I was excited for this one, as it was something I considered a classic IPA. Poured a beautiful golden color and gave that hopsy smell I love. Had a sip, wasn’t disappointed, but not blow off my feet either. A good IPA, but nothing to go wild over. A smooth drink, that I would buy again, but not get too excited about.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElDiablo (24) - - AUG 25, 2013
If you’re just starting out on IPA’s, I would suggest Stone. Just the right amount of bitterness and hops. Almost textbook of what a great American IPA should be Nothing too over or under powering. Even more crisp on tap, enjoy!