RATINGS: 3660   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jonsack3399 (8) - El Cajon, California, USA - FEB 1, 2002 does not count
if you know what an IPA is, then youíll love the hoppiness in this.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gargoyle32 (8) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 13, 2002 does not count
Hops, hops, hops. Good copper color. Nice citrusy aroma and flavor. Perfect hop bitterness and dryness. One awesome beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kaospunk (8) - seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 27, 2004 does not count
From the second you poor this beer you know it's going to be good. Orange/rust body with a good inch size delicate head on it. The head settled and you end up with a great lacing pattern. Flowery, sticky resin aroma hits you right before you take a sip. Flavor is intense...great hop flavor with a malty body. Always a favorite.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
khwheel (8) - USA - FEB 25, 2007 does not count
I really liked this beer. Good IPA Great hoppy taste. Not as good as HopSlam but still a very good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
wheresbaldo (8) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 28, 2007 does not count
Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a commodious Guinness Stout glass. Pours a dark honey to light amber color with a creamy, off-white head and a fair amount of lacing. I suppose I must be deranged - that or an ignorant Philistine but, for aroma, my notes say "smells like beer." The first sip yields a moderate to agressive hop bite which I would describe as floral and lingering, as the hop bitterness hangs around for a while. Itís a medium-bodied beer, well on the dry side and with lively carbonation. A fairly drinkable and complex brew, given that the last third of the bomber - once it has warmed a few degrees - reveals some residual sweetness. Pros - is 100% Rheinheitsgebot compliant - nothing but malted barley, yeast, hops and water in this beer - nice buzz value. With its 6.9% ABV, one bomber produces a mild head buzz - the brewer makes no apologies for, and even trumpets, the hop bitterness on the label. This is hoppy beer. Damn right, and was meant to be. Cons - I have no choice but to rate Stone IPA "move to the back of the line" on both repurchasability and refreshability (how easily it slides down the gullet when youíre hot and thirsty). As this review reflects my own personal taste, please donít cop any negative takeaways. I have zero doubt that this is a superlative beer, one that is meant to be savored and not "slammed." And - as is obvious from the other reviews - itís an exemplar of the style. I can only assume that IPAís are not my strong suite, not my preferred style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ranmannm (8) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 14, 2008 does not count
Pours clear( but I like a little cloudiness). All the flavors are there. More of a bitter hop taste than the AB but all in all Stone donít have a beer that isnít above the others.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hopdropandfall (8) - Long Valley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 16, 2009 does not count
I thought this was a very good IPA but definitely not worth the extra$ IMO. I would rather have a Flying Dod Snake Dog and use the extra cash for a cigar

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
lawless (8) - , California, USA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
Wow!!! I always had an impression of stone being very hoppy so before i tried the IPA I had already mad a decision. ha I was wrong. This beer had a mild aroma for a microw and I would have to say that it had a very nice finish especially for having 77ibuís. I find it hard to believe that it is this high.

rickrazum (8) - Geneva, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2010 does not count
Itís on tap at the Ale House in Geneva IL. I love hops so this is a great beer for me. It has a great hop aroma. Nice orange color and a thick white head. A little grapefruit and some floral on the pallet. Overall itís one of my favorite beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Chapter7 (7) - Escondido, California, USA - AUG 9, 2006 does not count
An attractive looking hazey orange beer with quickly dissipating white froth. Brilliant nose of brewery air, fresh picked hops, pine, grapefruit, and apricot. Balanced yet bitterly hoppy with enough malt sweetness to successfully bring out the complex flavors of the hops. Finish is crisp and superbly fresh tasting. Certainly an I.P.A. to look up to.