overall

RATINGS: 3503   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Look up "hops" in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of Stone IPA! "Dry-hopped" for an extra two weeks, this unique process gives our IPA its bountiful hop aroma and rich hop flavor. A full 70+ IBUs (International Bitterness Units) creates this beer’s crisp and refreshing bitter character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
AleAvenger99 (1) - USA - FEB 21, 2002 does not count
Inconsistent, oxidized notes, lacks complexity and balance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rastacouere (6137) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 11, 2004
It pours a clear filtered? yellow with a small white head, this could be a pilsner and giving it 3 makes me wonder if I'm too kind just because it's Stone. Aroma is hop essence literally.. with a hint of fuel and quite salty as well together with the more traditional citrus, lemon and grapefruity profiles. A good sniffing which appeals me by its originality. Taste surprises right away being very citric. I simply don't understand how so many people can love it that much since it's so distracting? Neverthless, there's a touch of honey malt and it's very clean. Talking about balance is totally out of place though and it didn't seem particularly pleasant. The body is honest, a solid medium body, but not as mouth-filling as other Stones I've had. Basically, this was totally blown away by the Lost Coast Indica we've had just before. Just altogether way too citric sour for my liking, possibly the tartest IPA I've had to date and while it's a characteristic I truly love in many belgians, it didn't seem to fit here. Thanks Martin!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
motelpogo (6968) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - JUL 3, 2004
on tap@mugs in brooklyn. i dunno, every new stone beer i taste i expect might be the one to really convince me how good this brewery is. but this seemed like a pretty typical ipa. a huge amount of hops and some decent marmalade and doughnut sweetness. nothing wrong with it in particular

Hooker (467) - Coquitlam, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 12, 2004
Clear light amber colour. small head with decent lace. lightly hoppy nose. dry haoppy taste

badgerben (4502) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Orange color with little head. Very hoppy aroma. More in the taste... umm... yeah, there are hops in the beer. Not much else. A little on the disappointing side.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sam10 (37) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2005
I really like the beers this company puts out. I tried an IPA before and did not like it. But I gave these guys a shot. I still don’t like IPA’s. Just not for me taste like I am chewing on a flower. Although this is better than the other I tasted, just not for me.

RooftopRogue (423) - Champaign, Illinois, USA - DEC 11, 2005
The aroma is full of hops and hints of grapefruit. Gold in color with a medium sized off-white head. A full mouthful of hops and citrus splashes. Taste is bitter and fades relatively fast.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jhwarfield (125) - USA - MAY 21, 2006
Bottle. Poured yellow with white head that disipated quickly. Nice hops aroma and taste. not a particularly full bodied taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
T3llLAllDE (100) - USA - JUL 12, 2007
very bitter beer about as bitter as you can get before it becomes to much. looks great smells nice. the first taste is a punch in the face of bitterness only for the biggest fans of IPA but a must try for all beer lovers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jkoch (47) - USA - JUL 20, 2007
22 ounce bottle. Pours an orangeish gold with a decent head. Citrus and piney aroma. Flavor is not well-balanced though. All I taste is the hops, with a very bitter finish. This beer is very highly rated though, so I will have to give it another try.