overall

RATINGS: 1660   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
This deep amber ale has rich & roasty malt flavors, a big hoppy character, citrus overtones (courtesy of the hops and our special brewers yeast) and modest alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 3, 2003
Reddish amber gold body; good lacing. This is one of those session ales that you could just drink all day long - lower alcohol, but full flavors. Malts were somewhat toasty, bready and sweet. The hops were as strong as expected - full of pine and citrus, and lingering afterwards. Thankfully, Chris brought a couple of bottles of this back from California - I really wish it was availlable in Ohio.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Indra (2594) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - JUL 16, 2003
Some toasty caramel and brown sugar sweetness in the aroma, with a lively addition of piney, spicy, earthy and faintly citric hop. Nice orange-red coloration, with a slight head and wisps of lacing. Initially malty, light and sweet flavor, but soon enough sees the earthy, piney, lightly spicy hop bitterness intermingled. Lingering hoppy finish. Light bodied and highly drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nuffield (3665) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Incredible big aroma of pink grapefruit. Deep amber color, some head. Less enticing flavor, the bitterness being too pronounced for my taste and the overall impression being too unidimensional. Long bitter finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUN 16, 2003
Nothing like the other Stone brews I have had thus far. This is so mellow. It is not fair to compare it to the others though. This is truly a very tasty ale by any means. Mild carbonation, bit sweet malt flavor and a mildly hopped finish. So very drinkable, I could put alot of these back in a night (unlike the bastard ale).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - JUN 15, 2003
Excellent hop aroma. Light and full at the same time (with the note that I believe this was Stone's attempt at making lighter fare, so it is MUCH different that the Arrogant style) Very enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - JUN 1, 2003
Had at Real Ale Festival on from cask - May 30, 2003
An amber colored beer, the head is mostly diminishing with an off-white head and a fair amount of lacing. I enjoyed this beer's interesting flavor - a mis of hops and sweetness, but I found the consistency too watery and not quite up to the Stone standards I've been used to. Drinkable, but I'll take the Double AB any day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - MAY 29, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 29, 2004 Not too happy when my girlfriend popped by with her lame attempt to satisfy my palate. However, I will say this type of Amber Ale was good.

hoped (18) - Arizona, USA - MAY 9, 2003
Nice deep orange/amber in color. Pours with a gracious creamy head that quickly reduces to a frothy half inch. The smell is spicy and earthy along with sweetness and a hint of grapefruit rind. The flavor is sweet with a good balance of hops with the grapefruit rind flavor and moderate bitterness. I can detect a little bit of a chocolate favor as well. I like the mouthfeel and carbonation as compared to other ambers I have tried. Although I suppose this is more of a Pale Ale than an Amber Ale because of the IBU level. Its debatable and I will leave it up to the experts to make the classifications. I was a little disappointed when I first got home because I thought I was buying the Stone Ruination IPA. I got the names mixed up. Levitation was also on my list as is every Stone brew I havent yet tried. But I was not disappointed in any way with this beer. Ive been looking for a lower ABV brew like this to drink after a good long hike or ballgame. Or like Sheryl Crow would say:"the sun and the moon".

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 7, 2003
A sweet malt and low alcohol content combine for a pleasant amber ale that's perhaps less hopped than I had expected from Stone. The taste is of eating an evergreen and is better than it sounds. It's about half as piney as the mega-piney Alba Scotch Ale. Decent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 5, 2003
Dark bright amber color. Nose is big and citrusy with a light sweetish malt, almost vanilla aspect. The body is quite bitter and piney with a light fruitiness and not enough malt to balance things out sufficiently.