overall

RATINGS: 1727   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   EST. CALORIES: 132   ABV: 4.4%
This deep amber ale has rich & roasty malt flavors, a big hoppy character, citrus overtones (courtesy of the hops and our special brewers yeast) and modest alcohol.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - AUG 20, 2003
Nice hoppy aroma, pours a surprisingly nice deep amber color. Nice American Amber, I never thought I'd say this, but a good balance from a Stone Ale. IMHO, a great session ale from a brewery that normally does more exotic fare.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
clong83 (285) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Pours a nice looking reddish hue with a beige head that lingers. Aroma of hops and resin. Right up front in the flavor are the hops. The body has a nice caramel sweetness to it to balance out the spicyness. Well carbonated and a very dry finish that leaves a piney flavor aftertaste. Pretty good amber, this has a lot of what I like in a good amber.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - OCT 9, 2003
A very nice amber. Great color and consistency. I felt it tasted similar to their pale ale, yet with more malts and slightly less hops. A great session ale to be enjoyed in large quantities.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 30, 2002
Dont get me wrong, I love hops, but this beer was too dry for me. It finishes very dry with lots of hops and it was just an all out bitterness assault on the senses, all of them! it is a great looking beer, dark ruby and perfectly clear. it smells wonderful, lots of playful hops in the nose. the finish is just terrifyingly ddry for me. this said, i have absolutely not lost faith in stone, i still love em just not this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cryptobard (281) - DENMARK - AUG 2, 2011
Have had many times from the bottle. Smells like hops and light carmel. Roasted malts lead the flavor and hops closes it. Lots of presence for a lighter beer. Also, looks beautiful; sunburst amber you can see through.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Markm2151 (280) - toledo, USA - JUN 10, 2013
Well made and balanced beer. Malty aroma and palate but kept in check but a noticeable, but not overpowering hop influence.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
mensch (280) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - DEC 28, 2013
I shouldn’t have been surprised by how good this is, it’s a Stone. A Session IPA before anyone thought to name it that. Bright as a new penny reddish copper color, perfume and citrus nose. The body is light, but still with plenty of clean caramel malt flavor. Strong bitter hops in the finish. It might be floating, but it’s not a lightweight.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Jabswitch (278) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 6, 2008
I was surprised at the bitterness from this amber. Also surprised at the low abv of 4.4%. Nice dark amber, but I thought a little over the top on bitterness. I normally enjoy ambers but found myself struggling to finish this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
12many (277) - Alaska, USA - AUG 26, 2008
Alefest sample. Aroma is decent with plenty of pine and citrus hops but this was lacking on flavor. Feels watery and with low carbonation. Decent but disappointing.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
minihame2 (273) - Tokyo, JAPAN - AUG 24, 2013
Nice, clear amber colour and a small tan head. Kind of faint aroma which I can’t quite make out, hops and some berries I think? Taste has some bitterness to it which lingers for a while. Slightly hoppy taste with some citrus. Soft mouthfeel and easy carbonation. Very easy to drink beer but somehow I was left disappointed.